ACCA - pls does more effort

Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

moin will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: ACCA - pls does more effort

Originally Posted by James.au
Before I came to OZ, I thought ACCA is an international qualification and it will be recognized by Australian employers even it does not have mutual recognition agreement with Australian CA/CPA. The fact is that the most employers here only recognise their local qualifications, and furthermore they also emphasis Australian experience essential! I am really tired of this, hope ACCA can do more effort to let us have an easy way to get one of the local qualifications.
I am an ACCA Affiliate and just starting out my visa process ............

The point I want to make is I already have my mind made up that I would have to get either CPA/ICAA when I get to Australia cuz local qualifications are always worth more than foreign ones... Even though ACCA being an international qualification.... I know that I need to make an effort to make the recruiters happy...
Old May 8th 2009, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

becks_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACCA - pls does more effort

All in all listening (viewing) all the arguments i think one thing needs to be considered. No matter what qualification is under fire it should not be taken away from that person who has worked hard and took the time out to study for that qualification. There are not many other professions where we are given the ability/privilege to certify photos.

I do not think it is right that people say that some are better than others. At the end of the day accountants all over the world get enough flack (through trying to tax dodge or finance scandals) without the necessity to have a go at each other. This is especially true with the credit crunch in full flow.

Each and everyone of the qualifications has its benefits and disadvantages, we cant all be perfect. Everyone has their own perceptions of the qualifications like we have the same on people and places.

Hope my rants make sense to people.

By the way im qualifying to be an accountant (not saying which one tho!)
Old May 9th 2009, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_uk
There are not many other professions where we are given the ability/privilege to certify photos.
Ability / privilege to certify photos? I am obviously missing out on something here

By the way im qualifying to be an accountant (not saying which one tho!)
Why not? Have the courage of your convictions. Good luck with the studying
Old May 10th 2009, 3:28 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Each and everyone of the qualifications has its benefits and disadvantages, we cant all be perfect. Everyone has their own perceptions of the qualifications like we have the same on people and places.
  • The market determines value
  • Individuals seek a benchmark for self determined goals and aspirations.
  • Not all qualifications are created or gained with equal effort or skills gained.
Points you should take on board
Old May 10th 2009, 5:04 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RCoight
Other than (maybe) OP I don't think anyone disagrees with this.

What I don't agree with is the idea that doing one type of qualification should automatically qualify you for any other that you choose. That to me seems to be the point of OP's post.

Well, then let me point this out to you. The US CPA exams just require 4 papers to be completed on top of a bachelor's degree, in some states, you don't even need a bachlor's degree but can get in with a diploma. And US CPA compared to ACCA is just like nursery standards. The US CPA has mutual recognition with Oz CA so that anyone who is a US CPA gains entry into Oz CA by just completing the law and tax papers whereas an ACCA have to do the entire CA course plus gain 3 years of mentor experieince. Now why is that so? Such being the case, your statement above does not hold any water at all.
Old May 10th 2009, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

becks_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Ability / privilege to certify photos? I am obviously missing out on something here

Why not? Have the courage of your convictions. Good luck with the studying
Once we are qualified accountants we are able to certify photos same as doctors, lawyers, etc.
I just dont want to seem biased against any type of qualification. Thanks anyways!! I think im gonna need it!
Old May 11th 2009, 8:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
Well, then let me point this out to you. The US CPA exams just require 4 papers to be completed on top of a bachelor's degree, in some states, you don't even need a bachlor's degree but can get in with a diploma. And US CPA compared to ACCA is just like nursery standards. The US CPA has mutual recognition with Oz CA so that anyone who is a US CPA gains entry into Oz CA by just completing the law and tax papers whereas an ACCA have to do the entire CA course plus gain 3 years of mentor experieince. Now why is that so? Such being the case, your statement above does not hold any water at all.
You have seen the pass rate for the said 4 papers?
Old May 11th 2009, 12:23 pm
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You have seen the pass rate for the said 4 papers?
More than 50%. Many of them advised me against taking all 4 papers at one go and stated that the exams were very difficult, AICPA and many professors themselves advised taking one at a time over a 3 months period etc and I passed them in just 1 sitting after studying for just about a year. In fact, I could have taken the 4 papers in just 6 months, that was my original plan but I delayed for about a year because of some personal problems that I was having. Compare this with ACCA where the average pass rates during my time were anywhere between 20% and 25%, some papers might have pass rates even lower than these, in the case of the insolvency paper, pass rate was about <10%, no kidding. In the case of ACCA, I know of several people who gave up after trying for so many years, in the case of the CPA, all the people I know who took it end up passing. That tells something, doesn't it?
Old May 11th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

moin will become famous soon enough
Post Re: ACCA - pls does more effort

More than 50%. Many of them advised me against taking all 4 papers at one go and stated that the exams were very difficult, AICPA and many professors themselves advised taking one at a time over a 3 months period etc and I passed them in just 1 sitting after studying for just about a year. In fact, I could have taken the 4 papers in just 6 months, that was my original plan but I delayed for about a year because of some personal problems that I was having. Compare this with ACCA where the average pass rates during my time were anywhere between 20% and 25%, some papers might have pass rates even lower than these, in the case of the insolvency paper, pass rate was about <10%, no kidding. In the case of ACCA, I know of several people who gave up after trying for so many years, in the case of the CPA, all the people I know who took it end up passing. That tells something, doesn't it?
wow I suddenly feeling proud of what I achieved, being an ACCA qualified and hopefully a member in coming months

Still to tell the truth I have set my goals on CFA as there are way too many people taking on ACCA and many of them will eventually pass. ACCA's marketing policies as trying to make itself globally recognized, has unfortunately devalued the qualification. But then again many people would say that having an ACCA and good experience will make you stand out from the rest of the graduates with no or little experience.

At the moment, as I mentioned I am studying level 1 of CFA (finding it alot more interesting) while still being sceptical about what future lies with the qualifications I have.
Old May 16th 2009, 8:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

More than 50%.
Somewhat less than 50%
http://www.cpa-exam.org/download/PassRates09Q1.pdf

And you have to pass the education requirements before being allowed to sit the exam, these education requirements are stricter (in almost all states) than those operated by ACCA.