ACCA finalist/newly qual

Old Feb 21st 2006, 2:58 pm
explorer

Cookie095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACCA finalist/newly qual

Hello,

I am from Uk, London.
sitting for my ACCA finals in June 06, hopefully will qualify by the end of 2006.
Planning to leave Uk (may be for some time, or may be forever, hard to say).

Aiming towards Australia, New Zealand, may be USA (North West Coast), Canada is at the bottom of the list.

I am also tired of studying (my firts 5-year degree in Moscow Uni, 1 year Masters in London, almost 3 years ACCA).....cant be bothered to take any more of it.

So my question to those who know: what kind of job can I land in Aus, NZ, US with fresh ACCA memebership and 3 years experience in the engineering industry (oil and gas, infrustructure). In fact, Co I am working for is listed as one of major emploeers in Perth in one of the topics here.

Ehhh...my experience: project accounting, management accounting and reporting (no budgeting), hyperion consolidations, intercompany.

Also I am fluent in Russian but I can not see much of a use for that sort of asset in the targeted areas....
------------------
As for Aus, NZ, I am thinking about getting working holiday visa for 1 year to work on contracts. Is it realistic to get accounting contractual job on WHVisa in AUS/NZ?

THank you

Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: ACCA finalist/newly qual

Hi Cookie

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about the WHV contracts, but if I was in your position I would check the ICAA website to see if once qualified you have enough experience to pass their skills assessment.
If this is possible you could then apply for a skilled independent visa as 'Accountant' is currently on the MODL.
At least you would then have no problems in going to Oz on a more permanent basis.

Failing that see if your company will sponsor you in Perth!

Regardless of your skills/qualifications it is not always that simple to get into the different countries!

Good luck in whatever you choose.

MichaelB
Old Feb 21st 2006, 11:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACCA finalist/newly qual

Originally Posted by Cookie095
Hello,

I am from Uk, London.
sitting for my ACCA finals in June 06, hopefully will qualify by the end of 2006.
Planning to leave Uk (may be for some time, or may be forever, hard to say).
Are you a British citizen? If not, and you're eligible for British citizenship, then maybe best to sort that out before you think about leaving.

Aiming towards Australia, New Zealand, may be USA (North West Coast), Canada is at the bottom of the list.
You'll need to make up your mind where you'd like to go. Visa availability is part of the equation, also employment prospects and quality of life.

I am also tired of studying (my firts 5-year degree in Moscow Uni, 1 year Masters in London, almost 3 years ACCA).....cant be bothered to take any more of it.
Irrespective of where you go, you will probably have do so some more study to localise your qualification.

So my question to those who know: what kind of job can I land in Aus, NZ, US with fresh ACCA memebership and 3 years experience in the engineering industry (oil and gas, infrustructure). In fact, Co I am working for is listed as one of major emploeers in Perth in one of the topics here.

Ehhh...my experience: project accounting, management accounting and reporting (no budgeting), hyperion consolidations, intercompany.

Also I am fluent in Russian but I can not see much of a use for that sort of asset in the targeted areas....
------------------
As for Aus, NZ, I am thinking about getting working holiday visa for 1 year to work on contracts. Is it realistic to get accounting contractual job on WHVisa in AUS/NZ?
What's your citizenship? Not every nationality is eligible for a working holiday visa. And because of the work restrictions (3 month limitation with one employer) then most working holiday visa holders can't get professional level work anyway.

If you plan to migrate, the best way to do so is to obtain a *permanent* visa before you leave. Working holiday visas are not permanent. Trying to make a permanent move on a temporary visa often doesn't work.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:58 am
explorer

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi Cookie

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about the WHV contracts, but if I was in your position I would check the ICAA website to see if once qualified you have enough experience to pass their skills assessment.
If this is possible you could then apply for a skilled independent visa as 'Accountant' is currently on the MODL.
At least you would then have no problems in going to Oz on a more permanent basis.

Failing that see if your company will sponsor you in Perth!

Regardless of your skills/qualifications it is not always that simple to get into the different countries!

Good luck in whatever you choose.

MichaelB
Thank you for welcoming me

I though about about ICAA as well after reading some of the topics. I will have a look into it. Thanks.

As for my Co. They are very good in sponsoring engineers from different disciplines, but when it comes to overheads such as accountants, they prefer locals.
But I will still try this option. It wont hurt to try

mmmm..... WHV option doesnt look so promising now.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:17 am
explorer

Hello

Yes, I am a British citizen now, so my paperwork is OK.

Firstly I want to go to Aus, NZ. Live there for several months and see if this corner of the world appeals to me as a permanent place of residence. Obviously, will need to work to earn some cash to pay the bills plus experience.

After I want to explore USA (though spend 1 month travelling round south west and california - loved it). But temp work in USA is probably unlikely due to visa restrictions..but I will look into options...who knows....

As for my qualification..... I am not sure I want to localize it very much as too tired of studying same things.
In London we have plenty of kiwis, ozies, south africans working on accounting contracts without any UK qualification, earning good living. Some of them do not have any qualif at all. So why would I bother? I have good transferrable experience, lots of knowledge. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Frankly saying, I will try to go there on temp visa. And only if eventually I decide - yes, that is the place for me, I will try to get perm visa. Otherwise, all that effort of getting perm may be wasted if I do not like the place.

I may be naive
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie095
Frankly saying, I will try to go there on temp visa. And only if eventually I decide - yes, that is the place for me, I will try to get perm visa. Otherwise, all that effort of getting perm may be wasted if I do not like the place.

Your choice, but if you go there on a working holiday visa it may break the continuity of work experience required for a permanent visa. This could lead to you having to go back to the UK for a couple of years before being eligible for a permanent visa.

At least for Australia. I don't know about NZ.

Ask further on the Australian immigration forum.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 3:10 pm
explorer

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your choice, but if you go there on a working holiday visa it may break the continuity of work experience required for a permanent visa. This could lead to you having to go back to the UK for a couple of years before being eligible for a permanent visa.

At least for Australia. I don't know about NZ.

Ask further on the Australian immigration forum.
Good point! Thanks
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:34 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps.

A couple of friends of mine - one CIMA and one ACCA - with Energy backgrounds came to Oz on WHV's and both got jobs contracting for a few months in Sydney in Financial Services. Both were then sponsored to stay.

So point is, you should find contracting easy as an ACCA with your background in bigger Oz cities.

Rgds,

Paul.