Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

[B]Work prospects in Perth - lots of questions![/B]

[B]Work prospects in Perth - lots of questions![/B]

Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

heathgravett is a jewel in the roughheathgravett is a jewel in the roughheathgravett is a jewel in the roughheathgravett is a jewel in the rough
Default [B]Work prospects in Perth - lots of questions![/B]

Hi All

Hoping to be in Perth early 2007 and have quite a few questions to ask about job prospects...

I am a CA with 14 years PQE, although I have been running my own property development and management business for the last 4 years. Previous experience relates to mainly small entreprenureal firms and one large firm, all as FD (I think my cv looks ok ).

Tried to get a response from agencies but no emails received back so thought I'd ask on here to get some opinions of prospects.

What sort of role could I get (FD still or a step back)?
What level of salary can I expect (looked at Hays but want actual on the ground opinions)?
How long will it take to get a role?
Permanent or contract?
Would taking a SAP online course prior to arrival be worth it as it does cost!!?
Would taking a MYOB online course be worth it (reasonable cost)?
Will I need to take a course in Oz Co Law and tax when I arrive?
Anything else I need to know!!!!!!!!?

Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Heath
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [B]Work prospects in Perth - lots of questions![/B]

Originally Posted by heathgravett
What sort of role could I get (FD still or a step back)?
What level of salary can I expect (looked at Hays but want actual on the ground opinions)?
How long will it take to get a role?
Permanent or contract?
Would taking a SAP online course prior to arrival be worth it as it does cost!!?
Would taking a MYOB online course be worth it (reasonable cost)?
Will I need to take a course in Oz Co Law and tax when I arrive?
1. If you want to become an Australian CA (which is recommended) you need to do the tax/law course. Did you qualify as a UK CA through the normal way or direct entry?

2. Perth's economy is heavily resources based. That's where a lot of the jobs will be. Many migrants do need to take a step back. Competition for FD roles is quite strong.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

heathgravett is a jewel in the roughheathgravett is a jewel in the roughheathgravett is a jewel in the roughheathgravett is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. If you want to become an Australian CA (which is recommended) you need to do the tax/law course. Did you qualify as a UK CA through the normal way or direct entry?

2. Perth's economy is heavily resources based. That's where a lot of the jobs will be. Many migrants do need to take a step back. Competition for FD roles is quite strong.

I qualified in the usual way with KPMG.

Not too fussed about having to take a step back as I also want to invest in property and don't want to be working all the hours under the sun as I'll need some time for weighing up investments!!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I qualified in the usual way with KPMG.

Not too fussed about having to take a step back as I also want to invest in property and don't want to be working all the hours under the sun as I'll need some time for weighing up investments!!
Consider some Financial Controller roles but you will need to review your CV to ensure it reflects current market desirables.

Have you kept up to date over the past 4 years? (silly question to some but it would be asked by agents)
Old Aug 29th 2006, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thebears
Consider some Financial Controller roles but you will need to review your CV to ensure it reflects current market desirables.

Have you kept up to date over the past 4 years? (silly question to some but it would be asked by agents)
Hi thebears

It might be silly to some but if I'm honest then, no, I haven't kept up to date. I made a decision to get involved in long term property development. I am producing all my financial statements, tax returns, budgets, forecasts, liasing with banks for finance, etc, etc, etc, but appreciate that there may be a few different standards, reporting issues that I am not aware of.

What do you feel I need to sort ut given the above?

Heath
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:58 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I am FCA with 12 years PQE and a background in systems / process improvement work. I was FC of IT for a division of a blue chip engineering co until 4 years ago then had 2 years at a major telco doing systems work as a contractor on 40% more money than previously.

Before I came to Perth I enquired about a consultants job with RSM Bird Cameron (a mid-tier firm but one of the largest in Perth) and was told it only paid $60K and that was all I should expect. I declined. When I got here the agencies were begging me to come see them, even the same day (and this was 10 days before Xmas and everyone was winding down). I was offered interviews for roles at $90K+ in January but took one at $80K as it was with the best reputed company in town and in the resources sector on a 3 month contract and with a more immediate start. This was a conscious step down to supervisor level to gain experience in Aussie culture / a new sector and because I didn't need the long hours / stress while we were settling into our new lives.

After 3 months I went to my boss and said given that I had done so well (the GM thought I was brilliant and the Commercial Manager got moved sideways as I was showing him up) I wanted more. I got a 12 month contract and a 20% package increase.

Out of the blue a month ago I got a call about another job. I went for the interview said I wasn't sure it was challenging me enough so they offered me the next job up - Manager - Finance Improvement Programme for a $9bn asset group. An extra 50% on the package.

So do I think it is wise to take a step back on arrival / take contract work? Absolutely! It doesn't take long to establish yourself, gain a reputation and get back to the right level in the current market.

If you want actual figures them PM me.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:35 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
I am FCA with 12 years PQE and a background in systems / process improvement work. I was FC of IT for a division of a blue chip engineering co until 4 years ago then had 2 years at a major telco doing systems work as a contractor on 40% more money than previously.

Before I came to Perth I enquired about a consultants job with RSM Bird Cameron (a mid-tier firm but one of the largest in Perth) and was told it only paid $60K and that was all I should expect. I declined. When I got here the agencies were begging me to come see them, even the same day (and this was 10 days before Xmas and everyone was winding down). I was offered interviews for roles at $90K+ in January but took one at $80K as it was with the best reputed company in town and in the resources sector on a 3 month contract and with a more immediate start. This was a conscious step down to supervisor level to gain experience in Aussie culture / a new sector and because I didn't need the long hours / stress while we were settling into our new lives.

After 3 months I went to my boss and said given that I had done so well (the GM thought I was brilliant and the Commercial Manager got moved sideways as I was showing him up) I wanted more. I got a 12 month contract and a 20% package increase.

Out of the blue a month ago I got a call about another job. I went for the interview said I wasn't sure it was challenging me enough so they offered me the next job up - Manager - Finance Improvement Programme for a $9bn asset group. An extra 50% on the package.

So do I think it is wise to take a step back on arrival / take contract work? Absolutely! It doesn't take long to establish yourself, gain a reputation and get back to the right level in the current market.

Good post, Iain! Attitude is everything.

Christine (less than 2 weeks to go)
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by worzel

Thanks for that worzel. I've PM'd you for more info.

All sounds good for a decent job in Perth, but what about the training. Do agencies recommend you study in the accounts packages or not, SAP or MYOB training can be done at distance but is it worth it? Or do firms generally train on the job and are more interested in your attitude or cv rather than systems knowledge?

Cheers

Heath
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:24 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that worzel. I've PM'd you for more info.

All sounds good for a decent job in Perth, but what about the training. Do agencies recommend you study in the accounts packages or not, SAP or MYOB training can be done at distance but is it worth it? Or do firms generally train on the job and are more interested in your attitude or cv rather than systems knowledge?

Cheers

Heath
I didn't answer this bit in the PM. I think the main thing is to have the experience in the area the job is for. So I am not sure training in SAP other than at input clerk level is much use. Having 12 months experience is another matter entirely - the agencies scan their databases searching for "SAP" etc I am sure.

It is not a rudeness thing, but agencies don't call you unless they have something specific in mind and you don't often get rejected for jobs or even feedback on interviews but you can assume that from silence. I guess they don't want to decline you in case they may be interested later.

Go with what you are good at / have experience at. You can build up from there.

Perth is such a multinational place (far more than the other capital cities) that being ACA etc is fully recognised. If you want to get into audit then do the tax / law exams but otherwise there is no need to bother.