Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Life, Australia and Chefs

Life, Australia and Chefs

Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:19 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life, Australia and Chefs

Originally Posted by daunted
I have taken the one which was less money but better job. i rang them and said if they paid me more then i would take it They did so i took it Anyone for champers????????????????????
I hope Mr PP is as lucky as you once we get there. His cheffing is on trade experience and not City and Guilds.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

We have been here for nearly 3 months now (Sunshine Coast) and whilst there are plenty of jobs for chefs, most of them are on a casual basis and the pay is quite low also my OH was used to working a lot more hours in the UK in a week!

He is now thinking of working as a chef in the mines for a while just to get us started, even though he would be away for 12 days he would then be back for 6 and it will be hard, he will give it a go for a little while!

Sara x
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

PP they didnt seem that bothered about the certificates - more interested in the blurb on my cv. You do have to provide your own uniform and knives though -well maybe not everywhere but these two have hence a rather expensive trip to the catering suppliers today - having said that the chefs whites are definately lighter weight than i am used too which is a blessing
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by godfrey family-lets go!
We have been here for nearly 3 months now (Sunshine Coast) and whilst there are plenty of jobs for chefs, most of them are on a casual basis and the pay is quite low also my OH was used to working a lot more hours in the UK in a week!

He is now thinking of working as a chef in the mines for a while just to get us started, even though he would be away for 12 days he would then be back for 6 and it will be hard, he will give it a go for a little while!

Sara x

Both positions i was offered wanted me to go casual. i refused saying i needed security of a regular set income - didnt seem to be a problem jsut think you need to be prepared to be cheeky and ask the question
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[

Sara x[/QUOTE]

hi Godfrey family,

can you tell me a bit more about this type of work (or where i can find any info on it) as my husband has talked of this possibility when we eventually get there. We plan on going to the Gold Coast.

thanks, Lynn xx
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

godfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud ofgodfrey family-lets go! has much to be proud of

Hi Lynne

We don't know much about it yet as it was only today we started talking about it!!

A friend has given us a couple of numbers to call and John is going to give them a call in the morning so I will let you have the details when we know a bit more!

Sara
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Cheers Look forward to hearing about it so I can pass info onto hubby.

Lynn xx
Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:50 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Both positions i was offered wanted me to go casual. i refused saying i needed security of a regular set income - didnt seem to be a problem jsut think you need to be prepared to be cheeky and ask the question
Just outof interest, where are you going to be working?
Old Dec 7th 2007, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Hi Chefs....

I have been reading this forum since it began. Just never bothered to enter anything previously. But if its an insight to help out just one person, then here goes...

This is the second time myself, wife and now teenage daughters (2) have emigrated to Australia. At best to say we 'just about survived a mere 6 months' nine years ago. Could not find a decent job, wife was homesick, did not have much luck etc. etc. I guess it all boiled down to it not being the right time in our lives....

Well. I'm 44 now and we have been living here for 6 months very comfortably. Everyone is happy, financially we are secure and I have had absolutely no problems getting suitable job(s). I have been in catering around 27 years now. My background, very basically so that the chefs reading this have a starting point for similarities/differences is as follows: I was a Royal Navy trained chef and gained all the usual City and Guilds. After 6 years in the military I then chose to work in London 5 star hotels. Worked Michelin stars notably (Manoir Quat Sassion - Raymond Blanc) PS. No you don't need Michelin Stars to be considered a Chef. YOU NEED QUALS AND EXPERIANCE ACROSS A BROAD SPECTRUM OF PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND SUPERVISORY POSITIONS WITHIN KITCHENS. I have done my fair share of industrial catering as well because the hours suited my young children (then). I also taught in F.E Colleges for 15 years and ran my own hospitality business for 7 years alongside of my teaching.

Well we arrived here in July. Here is Brisbane Queensland Australia. Within 1 week I contacted Pinnacle Hospitality for work. Its like a temping agency. Within 1 day of that I was inundated with casual work. I still work for them occassionally now. They are ALWAYS on the lookout for chefs. Its a shame I cannot show you my texts. Its Friday night here and I have at least 12 jobs (Could never do them all!). Yes its casual. But without exception they have almost all offered me a job of some description FULL TIME. Working casual gave me the opportunity to look around, see what the salarys are like, the areas - and not put me under the same duress as employees. The pay was adequate... 25 - 30 dollars an hour!

I did that for a couple of weeks. Landed a brilliant FULLTIME job in the city working Mon - Friday 6.30am - 2pm earning $54000. I then started teaching at TAFE P-T (Equivalent to our FE. Pay is better, terms and conditions are awesome!) Based on that! I was interviewed and start there FULLTIME in January. Salary is $64000 per ann. No nights, no weekends and 12 weeks paid holiday. Yes... You have not read it wrong.

Please guys... I'm not here to gloat. Well maybe a little lol... I know its tough... But Head Chefs are earning around 60000plus.

It is tough... no-one is going to give you anything... I WAS a great believer in you make your own luck. But there is definatly a case to be said for receiving some as well. I don't know how it all happened for me... But it just did. We are having our own house built. My daughters are in private school and life is great. We live a lifestye we could never of afforded or dreamed of in the UK. Sure. I miss friends.. More than I cared to admit to myself or to my wife. But I/we have all moved on and would not go back. So for those of you out there a little dispondent or unsure right now... Bide your time... Something good will come along I hope.

Last edited by robclaridge; Dec 7th 2007 at 6:29 am.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lynn

We have looked into it, but have decided it is not enough money to be away for 2 weeks at a time, he could earn not much less and stay nearer home!

Anyway, the 2 company's we looked at are, now I can't find them!! As soon as Jon comes in from work I will come back on and let you know!!!

Sorry, waste of time!

Sara x

hi Godfrey family,

can you tell me a bit more about this type of work (or where i can find any info on it) as my husband has talked of this possibility when we eventually get there. We plan on going to the Gold Coast.

thanks, Lynn xx[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robclaridge
Hi Chefs....

I have been reading this forum since it began. Just never bothered to enter anything previously. But if its an insight to help out just one person, then here goes...

This is the second time myself, wife and now teenage daughters (2) have emigrated to Australia. At best to say we 'just about survived a mere 6 months' nine years ago. Could not find a decent job, wife was homesick, did not have much luck etc. etc. I guess it all boiled down to it not being the right time in our lives....

Well. I'm 44 now and we have been living here for 6 months very comfortably. Everyone is happy, financially we are secure and I have had absolutely no problems getting suitable job(s). I have been in catering around 27 years now. My background, very basically so that the chefs reading this have a starting point for similarities/differences is as follows: I was a Royal Navy trained chef and gained all the usual City and Guilds. After 6 years in the military I then chose to work in London 5 star hotels. Worked Michelin stars notably (Manoir Quat Sassion - Raymond Blanc) PS. No you don't need Michelin Stars to be considered a Chef. YOU NEED QUALS AND EXPERIANCE ACROSS A BROAD SPECTRUM OF PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND SUPERVISORY POSITIONS WITHIN KITCHENS. I have done my fair share of industrial catering as well because the hours suited my young children (then). I also taught in F.E Colleges for 15 years and ran my own hospitality business for 7 years alongside of my teaching.

Well we arrived here in July. Here is Brisbane Queensland Australia. Within 1 week I contacted Pinnacle Hospitality for work. Its like a temping agency. Within 1 day of that I was inundated with casual work. I still work for them occassionally now. They are ALWAYS on the lookout for chefs. Its a shame I cannot show you my texts. Its Friday night here and I have at least 12 jobs (Could never do them all!). Yes its casual. But without exception they have almost all offered me a job of some description FULL TIME. Working casual gave me the opportunity to look around, see what the salarys are like, the areas - and not put me under the same duress as employees. The pay was adequate... 25 - 30 dollars an hour!

I did that for a couple of weeks. Landed a brilliant FULLTIME job in the city working Mon - Friday 6.30am - 2pm earning $54000. I then started teaching at TAFE P-T (Equivalent to our FE. Pay is better, terms and conditions are awesome!) Based on that! I was interviewed and start there FULLTIME in January. Salary is $64000 per ann. No nights, no weekends and 12 weeks paid holiday. Yes... You have not read it wrong.

Please guys... I'm not here to gloat. Well maybe a little lol... I know its tough... But Head Chefs are earning around 60000plus.

It is tough... no-one is going to give you anything... I WAS a great believer in you make your own luck. But there is definatly a case to be said for receiving some as well. I don't know how it all happened for me... But it just did. We are having our own house built. My daughters are in private school and life is great. We live a lifestye we could never of afforded or dreamed of in the UK. Sure. I miss friends.. More than I cared to admit to myself or to my wife. But I/we have all moved on and would not go back. So for those of you out there a little dispondent or unsure right now... Bide your time... Something good will come along I hope.

Really interesting post, maybe we should have moved a bit nearer to Brisbane!!!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice
Smile Re: Life, Australia and Chefs

I here that Brisbane is much better for chefs jobs than the Gold Coast. Don't fall into the trap of thinking ..... buts its the vacation place, so there will be loads of jobs for chefs.... Because every chef thats migrated from around he world has probably emigrated there with the same thought in mind. Much more likely to have just casual work there than full-time, but not exclusively! But here are the numbers for Pinnacle anyway. It is casual temping... But it led me to end up getting a fantastic job.... that is until I ended up with an even better offer in a teaching position! Pinnacle Hospitality - they are on the web) Brisbane 07 3225 9999 or Gold Coast (never used them?) 07 5557 7111
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

hi Godfrey family,

thanks, Lynn xx[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hi Lynn

Sorry about the earlier post!! Anyway, here are 2 of the mining companies we looked at, themac.com.au and morriscorp.co.au

Hope thes are of some help to you

Sara x
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Life, Australia and Chefs

I think if you use the main compass website - go to remote catering they also have work in the mines. Theres another even bigger company specialising in hospitality in the mining region - who's name escapes me??? Sorry? They were advertising recently (and often) in the courier mail. Try careerone.com.au or seek.com.au
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Space-bunny will become famous soon enough

Came here in 2005. My b/f is a head chef. He had so much work it was coming outta his ears. In Sydney, he just did casual work he worked about 40-50 hours a week and brought in about $1000 a week minus tax. Penalty rates = V good money.

http://www.chefsontherun.com.au Sydney/Brisbane

Also same story in Cairns with forde recruitment.

http://www.forderecruitment.com.au

Living in tassie now where they are crying out for chefs, and thank goodness they where. My b/f got a job and his work sponsored him as and we now have our perm residency.

Here you must go to tafe or college and train to be a chef. Thats what they mean here most of the time when you see adds in the paper for qualified chefs. You have 1st 2nd 3rd year apprentice then they qualify as a chef. We found that v strange when we came here. My b/f got his job on experience/cv and that his boss phoned up the agencies he had worked for and got good references.

No worries getting work in Aus as long as you arent a cowboy/cowgirl.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.