Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Life, Australia and Chefs

Life, Australia and Chefs

Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all
Default Re: Life, Australia and Chefs

Hi Ewan,

Take a look at www.pommsinperth.com theres lots of chefs on there, look under jobs.
Amanda
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by flowergal
Hi Ewan,

Take a look at www.pommsinperth.com theres lots of chefs on there, look under jobs.
Amanda
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your help! We finally got the TRA back and passed! Still a cook but really do not care any more. Now for the long haul. The visa application has now been sent. How are you all getting on?

Nicky
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:32 pm
Springbok

Springbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to allSpringbok is a name known to all

Hi All..........

Well, we are here now and it is alright. It's a bit more expensive to live than we expected but it is not the food side that is costly or the petrol it is all the sundry expenses that add up. I did not find it difficult to get a job, there is quite a lot of work out here it is just finding the right one for you. I live 3 minutes from work in the Yarra Glen, fresh air, scenery, close to schools. We have been lucky I suppose but you have to put yourself out there and get on with it. We have been in Australia for 8 weeks now and can say after having driven from Perth to Melbourne that we are enjoying it. We personally have not come up against any horrid people, mostly friendly and helpful. People willing to give you the time of day over here. Good luck to all those that are applying, also HAVE A HAPPY EASTER . Cheers for now.

Ewan and the Clan
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigeresswhite
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your help! We finally got the TRA back and passed! Still a cook but really do not care any more. Now for the long haul. The visa application has now been sent. How are you all getting on?

Nicky
Hi Nicky
Im a cook too apparantly but like you i dont really care as long as it gets me over there.
I have a paper from perth with job section in - there are loads and loads of jobs for cooks/chefs etc etc, no mention of the wage though
my visa application is being collected on wednesday so i shouldnt be too far behind you again.
whre abouts do you think you will settle?
mandy x
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really niceTigeresswhite is just really nice

Originally Posted by daunted
Hi Nicky
Im a cook too apparantly but like you i dont really care as long as it gets me over there.
I have a paper from perth with job section in - there are loads and loads of jobs for cooks/chefs etc etc, no mention of the wage though
my visa application is being collected on wednesday so i shouldnt be too far behind you again.
whre abouts do you think you will settle?
mandy x
Hi Mandy
Been Reading all about your Perth exploits on your threads sounds like you had a wonderful time. Can't believe all of the wingeing about shops and shoes or no shoes. Do as they do if you are in their country. We are possibly looking at Bunbury, Mandurah or secret Harbour areas I think but will see when we get there.
Glad you had a great time and it was interesting to read all about it.
Take care
Nicky
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigeresswhite
Hi Mandy
Been Reading all about your Perth exploits on your threads sounds like you had a wonderful time. Can't believe all of the wingeing about shops and shoes or no shoes. Do as they do if you are in their country. We are possibly looking at Bunbury, Mandurah or secret Harbour areas I think but will see when we get there.
Glad you had a great time and it was interesting to read all about it.
Take care
Nicky
yeah its no wonder they call us whinging poms hey LOL
Looks like we are both lookin at teh same area - how cool would that be - pre arranged friends to help us settle in
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough

i came over to Australia thinking being a chef for 20 years i would have no problems in finding work .This is the first time in my life i have been unemployed i have applied for lots of jobs ,they never reply back to me which is so rude.
I am staying in the gold coast i realise they want to pay people peanuts, i have been doing some causal work how crap was that ,no holiday pay or sick pay and if you are doing causal work you cannot get a morgage.
over here is not what u know its who!!!!!!
good luck to those coming over it is a beautiful place but we cannot live like this here so we will be going back to uk
Old May 2nd 2007, 2:24 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joe38
i came over to Australia thinking being a chef for 20 years i would have no problems in finding work .This is the first time in my life i have been unemployed i have applied for lots of jobs ,they never reply back to me which is so rude.
I am staying in the gold coast i realise they want to pay people peanuts, i have been doing some causal work how crap was that ,no holiday pay or sick pay and if you are doing causal work you cannot get a morgage.
over here is not what u know its who!!!!!!
good luck to those coming over it is a beautiful place but we cannot live like this here so we will be going back to uk
Come to WA, there's plenty of jobs and top wages too
Old May 3rd 2007, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

joe38,

how long have you been there? my OH is a chef ans we plan on going to the gold coast do you advise against it then? Could you not move to a different part of Australia and give it a go before you throw the towel in completely?

Lynn xx
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

joe38 will become famous soon enoughjoe38 will become famous soon enough

i have been offered my old job back in london,over here we feel so frustrated with it all ,we have spent over £10k since we been here it would be impossible to get a morgage here to if there is only casual work only then they call you when they want you . You really need to know people here to get a good job
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

conmitch has a brilliant futureconmitch has a brilliant futureconmitch has a brilliant futureconmitch has a brilliant futureconmitch has a brilliant futureconmitch has a brilliant futureconmitch has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Sorry guys, I missed this thread...........................the state award for a head chef is $42,000 a year which is what anyone working in a low standard cafe will earn. Head Chefs of larger cafes, restaurants, hotels etc should expect to pull anywhere from $55-$75k a year. As I've said before, don't undersell yourself at the interviews, Aussies are a bunch of tight wads and will screw you down for as little as they can get you for...................the West had at least 15 Head positions in it last week and up to 100 other grades so jobs are a plenty at the moment and to be quire honest it's been this way since I arrived 10 months ago..............I'd be happy to answer any more questions you guys have if possible.....
hi my wife and i are looking to come over iam a head chef i read in one of your posts that there are loads of jobs looking for chefs do you have any links that you could provide ive scoured the internet and joined so many organisations and am getting no where also im looking for sponsored employers is this difficult even if you could give me the names of newspapers that post jobs
cheers
conrad
Old Nov 29th 2007, 3:07 am
Just Joined

welshchef is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Life, Australia and Chefs

Very interesting thread this one,
What bollocks about michelin stars! I thought about using an agent but when i looked into it I couldn't understand what they did as I would have had to do all the chasing of references, so i went it alone with no problems even when i could not get references from some of my older employers due to changes in branding and management.Been a chef for 16 years including about 4 as Head but just applied as a chef, it makes no difference once you are here as generally you should expect to drop back a level.
Arrived in Melbourne mid September had 3 offers inside a week and turned down loads of interviews, did a few trials the hardest part has been finding what works for me now my wife has 8-5 mon- fri city job, now going to start at sous chef at the Telstra dome after chrimbo.
Note on salarys don't forget the employers pay 9% extra into superannuation for you and most things are cheaper if you know where to look.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Dont know what the situation is like elsewhere but i been here 481/2hours and have two job offers
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:46 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Dont know what the situation is like elsewhere but i been here 481/2hours and have two job offers
Well done

Which one are you taking?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Well done

Which one are you taking?
I have taken the one which was less money but better job. i rang them and said if they paid me more then i would take it They did so i took it Anyone for champers????????????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.