Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Working with animals in Spain

Working with animals in Spain

Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Ella2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really nice
Default Working with animals in Spain

Hello!

I am a German native, currently living in the US, and getting ready to return to Europe in late summer/early fall of this year. I contacted the German expat forum in Spain about working in animal-related professions in particularly Southern Spain and was given the advice to also check British and/or American expat forums. After fairly dismal prognoses on the German forum, I thought I check with the British community.
I am currently still working part-time as a High School teacher, grades 9-12, teaching German and Spanish. I have also taught ESL for adults. However, for many years now, I have also been practicing and teaching Animal Communication and Animal Reiki, and have also been training dogs. I am currently formalizing my dog training education by completing a training program here in the US. Over time, these hobbies have developed into a second profession, and I plan to transition from teaching into working with animals within the next few years. I have enjoyed my stay in the United States - all 24 years of it - but I'm ready to come back. Given that I've lived in the beautiful but very rainy Pacific Northwest, I am not keen on returning to Germany but am more than ready for a sunnier, warmer climate. I am researching online job postings, right now, also for teaching, as I don't have savings that would allow me to just take my time and build up my animal services business. What I would like to know, however, is what prospects one might have in this line of work. Additional services I could offer are dog walking, petsitting, as well as possibly selling pet products that may not be readily available in Spain. Lastly, if you think that it is worth a try and have any ideas on what other work I might look into that would allow for the flexibility in schedule to build up my business, I'd appreciate your input. Oh, before I forget it: the area I am particularly interested in moving to is the Costa de la Luz, SanlĂșcar de Barrameda and surrounding area. Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working with animals in Spain

Hey Ella and welcome to BE. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself to us.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions about Spain as I live in the US. Please could you please repost your questions in our Spain Forums...you will get a much better response in there from people actually living in the area? Our members who post in the Spain Forums are a friendly bunch of folk...so I'm sure you'll get plenty of help and advice from them. Why don't you pop over there, take a look around and join in?

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Problems and complaints should be addressed to a moderator. The mods for the Spain forums are Fred James and Mitzyboy.

You may also be interested in joining in the fun in the US Forums. Hopefully I will see you in there. Please shout out if you need any further help.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Ella2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really niceElla2011 is just really nice

Thanks, will do!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ella,

Welcome to BE. I see you've reposted your question in the Spain forum and I'm sure someone will be able to give you some tips etc soon.

Welcome again
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ella2011
Thanks, will do!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:57 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ella

Good to see you have posted onto the Spain forum as well - I am sure one of the good folks on there will know the answer.
Regarding such opportunities in the UK, there are some I am sure, but I cannpt think of any one organisation where you find all the necessary information. Certainly setting up a business of your own for dog walking and pet sitting is possible, and would possibly be quite popular in some areas, especially urban. However, you say you are looking for a warmer and drier climate and you sure won't get that in Britain !!!

That just leaves me to add a warm welcome to BE and to wish you good luck in your quest.

Dread - x