Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada from UK

Moving to Canada from UK

Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

andy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really nice
Default Moving to Canada from UK

Hi

I am looking to move to Toronto having been offered a job with my company in the Toronto office. I am planning a three week visit starting on 10/09/10 and trying to find furnished rented accommodation in a family friendly suburb. Cost not too much of a problem as my company are covering the costs. Any help would be appreciated as it is only nine days away. Company have offered to put us in a hotel but i would prefer a 'home'.

Once we make the final jump i would be looking at renting a property in the short term until we get on our feet. So again any help in understanding the family friendly areas of Toronto would be greatly appreciated.

We have three kids aged 16(boy), 9 and 3 (girls) so want to ensure they experience the true Toronto, especially the grumpy 16 year old who is struggling to understand the concept of moving to Toronto.

Many thanks from a very nervous but extremely excited family.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by andy.hatton
Hi

I am looking to move to Toronto having been offered a job with my company in the Toronto office. I am planning a three week visit starting on 10/09/10 and trying to find furnished rented accommodation in a family friendly suburb. Cost not too much of a problem as my company are covering the costs. Any help would be appreciated as it is only nine days away. Company have offered to put us in a hotel but i would prefer a 'home'.

Once we make the final jump i would be looking at renting a property in the short term until we get on our feet. So again any help in understanding the family friendly areas of Toronto would be greatly appreciated.

We have three kids aged 16(boy), 9 and 3 (girls) so want to ensure they experience the true Toronto, especially the grumpy 16 year old who is struggling to understand the concept of moving to Toronto.

Many thanks from a very nervous but extremely excited family.
Hello Andy...welcome to BE.

I used to live not a million miles from you in Macclesfield. The area must have changed a lot since my last visit as I've not been back there for over 20 years.

Have you been to Toronto before? Although we live in the US we spend quite a bit of time there and enjoy being in the city. Is this a permanent move or just for a year or two?

If you click here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. At the top you will see a list of sub forums...the first one is the Immigration Forum...please post all questions regarding the immigration process there. Many of our regular members who frequent that forum have immigration experience and they will help you through the process. The general forum is for topics related to Canada and the Maple Leaf forum is for general chit chat. Before you begin to post please read through all the sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of the forum's index page. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

andy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really niceandy.hatton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello Andy...welcome to BE.

I used to live not a million miles from you in Macclesfield. The area must have changed a lot since my last visit as I've not been back there for over 20 years.

Have you been to Toronto before? Although we live in the US we spend quite a bit of time there and enjoy being in the city. Is this a permanent move or just for a year or two?

If you click here it will take you directly to the main index page of the Canada Forum. At the top you will see a list of sub forums...the first one is the Immigration Forum...please post all questions regarding the immigration process there. Many of our regular members who frequent that forum have immigration experience and they will help you through the process. The general forum is for topics related to Canada and the Maple Leaf forum is for general chit chat. Before you begin to post please read through all the sticky threads or announcements that may be posted at the top of the forum's index page. Also take a look in the BE Wiki...you'll find loads of information in there.

If you have any problems finding your way around the many BE forums AmyDavid and The Aviator are concierges for the Canada forums...they will act as your tour guides and guide you around the forums.

For any other problems please contact a moderator. The mods for the Canada forums are Iaink and Christmasoompa...although any mod or admin will be pleased to help you.

Please give me a shout if you need any help.
hi

We are looking to make this a permanent move and have not been to Toronto before. So it is a bit daunting but exciting at the same time.

I was born in Macclesfield and lived there before moving to Congleton 18 years ago.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi

We are looking to make this a permenant move and have never visited Toronto before, so a little nervous about the whole thing.

I was born in Macclesfield and moved to Congleton about 18 years ago. It has not changed much apart from more traffic and less manners from everyone. Or is that just a sign that i am getting old
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy.hatton
Hi

We are looking to make this a permenant move and have never visited Toronto before, so a little nervous about the whole thing.

I was born in Macclesfield and moved to Congleton about 18 years ago. It has not changed much apart from more traffic and less manners from everyone. Or is that just a sign that i am getting old
At least you're going on a reccie in a week or so...are your family going with you? If you are working downtown I think you would be best to live in an area serviced by public transport. Traffic into and out of the city is a nightmare...especially at peak times and then there's parking. If you post in the Canada forums there are loads of people who live in the T.O. area...they'll help you out.

With regards to your 16 year old son...my daughter went to the University of Toronto. She loved the city and decided to stay there...she lives and works downtown. There's loads to do in the city for young adults...she's always going to a concert, a game, the theatre etc. By the time he's 18 you'll probably be residents of Ontario so you'll only have to pay local uni fees.

You'll find driving interesting...they overtake from any lane.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 1:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. Have a look around the Wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada

Also drop by the Canada forum and ask any questions you have or just enjoy the banter.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:49 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andy

I see our Jerseygirl has pointed you in the direction of our Canada forum, where you will find lots of expats who can answer any questions you have, as well as offer you lots of good tips and advice to help your move go smoothly.
You mentioned that your 16 year old is having a bit of a tough time coming to terms with moving. We have a forum on here especially for teenagers called the Youth Club. You will find it by clicking onto the forum index tab on the pink bar at the top of the page. Scroll down past all the listed countries and the working abroad section and you will see the forum entitled youth club. Just double click and you're in. It may be worth your son joining that forum so he can make some contacts before he gets there. You never know it might just help.

That just leaves me to say welcome to BE and good luck with your move. Enjoy your reccie trip.

Dread - x