Go Back  British Expats > Introduction > The Welcome Inn
Reload this Page >

Scotland to Kentucky

Scotland to Kentucky

Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

pickups85 will become famous soon enough
Default Scotland to Kentucky

Hi i'm a Scottish electrician who has just moved to KY to be with my wife and soon to be born baby. I came over in June, filed for permanent residence, work permit and travel permit first week in August and had biometrics done last week. I'd be grateful for any advice regarding:

how long it'll take to get my work permit
how long it'll take for my greencard
when i can apply for naturalization
when i will have to get a KY driving license
suggestions about work, how to get a KY electrical license, available positions etc...

also anyone that wants to chat about anything relating to immigration or any other relevant topic

thanks!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland to Kentucky

Hi there and welcome to BE. We have one or two members living in the KY area...they mostly post in the US forums.

As this forum is purely for welcoming new members please could you repost questions 1 to 3 in the US Marriage Based Visa forum? The other questions should be posted in the US forum. You'll get a much better response posting your questions in those forums.

It maybe useful for you to take a look at our Electricians Forum and also in the BE Wiki.

If you require any assistance finding your way around BE's many forums we have a team of concierges who will act as your tour guide...they will be pleased to help you. The concierge for the US forums is Englishtart...please contact her if you need pointing in the right direction.

Any problems or concerns should be addressed to a mod or admin. The mods for the US Immigration forums are Rete, Meauxna, Noorah101, Bob and MsElui.

Please give me a shout if I can be of further help. I look forward to seeing you in the US forums.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Jersey! i have reposted as suggested
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pickups,

Nothing to add to JerseyGirls wonderful post except welcome, welcome. I hope you enjoy being part of our community.

Sue
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pickups85
thanks Jersey! i have reposted as suggested
Great...glad to see your joining in.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:32 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pickups

Good to see you are already finding your feet on the forums suggested by Jerseygirl. I hope you are finding the answers to all your questions, and hopefully enjoying some chats along the way.
That just leaves me to say Welcome to BE and good luck, I hope you receive all your permits etc very soon.
Oh and of course congratulations to you and your wife on the imminent arrival of your baby

Good luck with all the new things happening for you

Dread - x
Old Oct 1st 2010, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

thanks dread! we're very excited about the arrival of our son in 8 weeks! I'm glad i found this site, it's good to know you're not the only one with worries and questions and that other people go through the same things successfully!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:07 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

thanks dread! we're very excited about the arrival of our son in 8 weeks! I'm glad i found this site, it's good to know you're not the only one with worries and questions and that other people go through the same things successfully!

My pleasure Pickups.
I can almost feel your excitement about 'Pickups Jnr' and his imminent arrival. Please pass on my best wishes to your wife for a nice quick delivery !
Really glad to hear you seem to be enjoying the site so far. By the way after making 3 posts you are entitled to use the private message service to contact other members one to one. This is a great way to make friends with people living nearby.

All the best

Dread - x
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

8 weeks...how exciting.

We have several Brits who are house husbands posting in the US forums (not by choice but because they're unable find work).

BTW we expect photos of the baby....asap after the birth.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Pickups, I'm the US half in our relationship (he's also Scottish!), and I can give you a bit of info on the driver's license thing. In order to get a license in KY, you will have to wait for your EAD to arrive as this is used a proof of legal residence. I can't remember what other documentation you may need, all I can remember is the EAD off the top of my head. I'd give a call to the Frankfort DMV office to ensure you know what other docs could be needed. Anyways, after confirming what other docs you need, you will need to go to a 'regional' office to get a blue piece of paper. At the regional office, they will look over your docs, and write on this blue slip of paper that you are eligible to apply for a license. We had to travel to get to a regional office, so after we got the blue slip, we went back home and made an appt at the local DMV for the permit test and gave them the blue slip as proof of eligibiltity. If you're in Lex. you may not need to travel to a regional office and may be able to use that blue slip to go ahead and make an appt for a permit right then at that office. You will need to take the written/permit test, then wait 30 days to take the road test. You can still drive on your UK license in the meantime. Before you start driving though, make sure you are on the insurance policy.

It took my husband (he entered on a K1 visa) about 6mo for his greencard to be approved, but this was back in 2004..it could be faster/slower now. Did you enter on a visa? You will be eligible to file for US citizenship 3years after legal permanent residence is approved. You should really follow the advice of JG and post any other q's about immigration in the US Marriage-Based Visa forum - that's where all the resident immigration experts hang out.

I hope that DL process makes sense Pickups. Btw, there is an on-going thread in the Meetups section for some of us in the KY/Northern KY area. I know there is at least one other Brit in Lex. We're in Louisville ourselves.

Congrats on the baby and welcome to KY!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I did repost in relevant sections and also in the meet ups section. I came over for a two week vacation but circumstances changed, we wanted to get married, originally I as going to come over around this time on a fiancé visa but quickly realized that it would be bad timing to wait due to the baby coming in November and EAD processing times. What part of Scotland does your husband hail from?