Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your green card

Where do you keep your green card

Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you keep your green card

Good idea. You need to be very systematic and timely to do that though. Can't say I always am. I'm a bit of a a scatterbrain.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Good idea. You need to be very systematic and timely to do that though. Can't say I always am. I'm a bit of a a scatterbrain.
Once it's clipped in that's it...the wrist strap is about a foot long so I don't need to unclip it to take it out. It's on it's own leash.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I always use Coach wristlet for a purse. I unfasten the wrist strap and clip it onto the inside of my handbag...that way it can't be removed easily.
When I'm out and about now in Chi-Town..I don't even carry a hand-bag anymore. Have this little holder thinga-ma-bob, that I keep close to my bosom! Seems senior citizens are nice targets these days and I don't plan on being one. Someone would have to get really up close and personal with me to get their hands on my cards, that are nestled within much flesh!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
When I'm out and about now in Chi-Town..I don't even carry a hand-bag anymore. Have this little holder thinga-ma-bob, that I keep close to my bosom! Seems senior citizens are nice targets these days and I don't plan on being one. Someone would have to get really up close and personal with me to get their hands on my cards, that are nestled within much flesh!

If I go into NYC I usually split my cash up and stash it in various places around my person. Same with 1 debit and 1 credit card.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If I go into NYC I usually split my cash up and stash it in various places around my person. Same with 1 debit and 1 credit card.
A gal after my own heart!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:24 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonrob
Bollocks to the law - I keep mine stashed safely at home where there's much less chance of me losing it. And my wallet is a millimeter thinner. Hey, I win twice!
You have converted me from a carrier to a stash at home kind a girl
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

gatsbygirl8 will become famous soon enough

My husband used to carry his GC, along with his SS card, in his wallet at all times. Then we decided it was probably safer in the long run to keep it locked away at home. Bear in mind, this is the man that has lost every single item I have ever given his except for his wedding ring, and I'm resigned to the fact that will eventually happen some day.

Now he carries a colour scan trimmed neatly to look like his actual GC. If he ever were to get asked, he would just show the scanned copy and explain that he has the original at home, which he could produce should the officer wish to see it.

Yeah, it's a risk, but I think the bigger risk is that DH is going to lose it. I've lost count of the number of times that man has forgotten his wallet in the car - lying on the seat or in the car door!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I keep mine in my purse, not that its much use right now as the photo is diabolical and my name doesnt match, can't seem to find how to change a name on a GC anywheres either

Jan
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:33 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
I keep mine in my purse, not that its much use right now as the photo is diabolical and my name doesnt match, can't seem to find how to change a name on a GC anywheres either

Jan

I believe you apply for a replacement Green card pretty expensive for just a name change..
Old Mar 27th 2011, 11:34 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

In a drawer with my passport.

Had my wallet stolen with the GC in it once...not happening again.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

When I used to have one I usually kept with my debit/credit cards and driving license and that, except for a while when I accidentally left it tucked inside my passport in my bedside drawer after I'd been up to Canada to visit my mate.

I only ever used it for travelling internationally, or when applying for the next stage of the immigration process so it invariably ended up in the back of my wallet along with the credit cards I didn't use . Drivers license served as ID for all practical purposes so apart from a few times it ended up sitting in my passport or a drawer at home I usually had it with me by virtue of it being shoved in there at the back.

Don't need it anymore though so I no longer have to worry about it
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea.
How do you encrypt?
www.truecrypt.org
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:02 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
It's the law to carry it at all times. So it's in my wallet.

I keep a digital scan, suitably encrypted, in several virtual locations should I need a copy of it if it got lost or stolen.
Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
When I look at the truecrypt site it appears to encrypt a hard drive or flash drive, but not a digital (pdf?) scan - are you encrypting the actual scan itself or is your virtual location your own (as opposed to Google docs) and you are encrypting the location where you store the unencrypted scan?
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
When I look at the truecrypt site it appears to encrypt a hard drive or flash drive, but not a digital (pdf?) scan - are you encrypting the actual scan itself or is your virtual location your own (as opposed to Google docs) and you are encrypting the location where you store the unencrypted scan?
I read just for 20 secs only the into, it seems an entire volume is encryted. So whatever folder or drive you store the pdf in, everything in that folder or drive will be encrypted including the pdf.

My question is - will this program noticeably slow my computer? Or any other potential issues I need to be aware of? I have Windows 7.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:21 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I read just for 20 secs only the into, it seems an entire volume is encryted. So whatever folder or drive you store the pdf in, everything in that folder or drive will be encrypted including the pdf.

My question is - will this program noticeably slow my computer? Or any other potential issues I need to be aware of? I have Windows 7.
I was rather hoping to find a way of encrypting pdfs so I could store them on my gmail account - oh well, best I start searching myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.