Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is up with UK sentencing - again

What is up with UK sentencing - again

Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:27 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is up with UK sentencing - again

Originally Posted by Dant3
The difference between a ten year sentence and a 40 year sentence is potentially 750,000 pounds. You can buy a lot of therapy, drug rehab and career training for 3/4 of a million. If you want revenge, fine, but don't pay for it out of my taxes.
£750,000 divided between 30 million tax payers? I'd gladly pay my 2.5p to keep a child killer locked up for an extra 30 years. Calling it revenge is absolutely absurd.

Last edited by NJ_Dave; Aug 30th 2005 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Bad maths
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:30 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
Guy kills 2 year old with Air Gun. Found guilty for Murder. Given life sentence. HOORAY.... Must serve at least 13 years - AGHHHHH....

When will these judges/politicians say enough is enough. Life should mean Life and perhaps these bastxxrds will think twice - just perhaps.
It does seem a short time - but remember what happens to child killers in Prison.. every day.. for at least 13 years... Those 'boiling water with dissolved sugar' baths are very uncomfortable!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:46 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
The murder trial heard that Bonini had taken pot shots at a fire crew before he fired the pellet which killed Andrew Morton.

<snip>

He said that attacks on crews with air weapons were not unheard of, although it was more usual for bricks and bottles to be thrown.

While the firefighters were the focus of such attacks, he said that their presence in areas like Easterhouse tended to attract a large crowd - which meant that children and other bystanders could be in danger if the crews were being targeted.

bloody hell...so it's the norm for grown men to hurl bricks bottles and even fire air-guns at Fire Fighters? this guy should be locked up any way...what a loser....not only could he have prevented the fire truck from getting to an emergancy but he accidentaly killed a 2 year old..what a scum bag.....
Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, it's pretty common. When I worked in Hull there were entire estates that buses refused to drive through because they would be attacked by kids (and adults) with bricks. It was common for people to dial 999 and report a fire just so they could stone the fire truck when it showed up. And then they had the nerve to turn round and blame the Kosavan refugees for all the trouble! There are many, many people with an extremely disturbed sense of acceptable behaviour, something I find FAR more worrying than short prison sentences.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Unfortunately, it's pretty common. When I worked in Hull there were entire estates that buses refused to drive through because they would be attacked by kids (and adults) with bricks. It was common for people to dial 999 and report a fire just so they could stone the fire truck when it showed up. And then they had the nerve to turn round and blame the Kosavan refugees for all the trouble! There are many, many people with an extremely disturbed sense of acceptable behaviour, something I find FAR more worrying than short prison sentences.
I would agree with that. We have been out of the UK on and off for last 15 years. What has happened to the people?

When I was young girl in Glasgow boys would have air rifles and took great pleasure of stinging you in the legs but it was a habit they grew out off by the time they were about 14 or had the guns taken from them. ( no polis involved!)
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:06 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
..what a scum bag.....
A quote from the killer, according to a friend who was in his flat at the time of the shooting: "this is where I shoot the school children in the morning". At least he won't be shooting any more school children. At least not for the next 13 years
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:13 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Got a link to the story? how old was the bloke?

And sentences are going to depend on a lot of things, and 13 years or 20 years, ain't going to bring the kid back, and a stretch like that in prison either way isn't much of a deterant is it, plus future prospects are *****ed either way and he'll just be another burden on society.

Nothing wrong with prison, but it's hardly working is it...
If someone killed my kid they'd want to spend the rest of their life in jail...cus I'll be waiting outside the gates for them when they get out.....and I'm a very good shot.......

Taking the life of a child is one of the only crimes I believe should be life in prison or death........
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:18 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

actually I think I remember you mentioning that on another thread, where are the cops? where is the community? why aren't people seriously fined or imprisioned?...and this individual was clearly a grown man not a bored teenager......I can't imagine living in a society where attacking emergancy vehicles is acceptable as entertainment.......and now an innocent child was killed ....they seem to be focusing on air guns when the real problem is morons attacking fire trucks
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:24 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by krizzy
Taking the life of a child is one of the only crimes I believe should be life in prison or death........
I whole heartedly agree with you..I know what you mean but what about the murdererd 35 year old? still someones child..still their baby...I know I'll never stop seeing my kids as anything less whatever their age.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

actually I think I remember you mentioning that on another thread, where are the cops? where is the community? why aren't people seriously fined or imprisioned?...and this individual was clearly a grown man not a bored teenager......I can't imagine living in a society where attacking emergancy vehicles is acceptable as entertainment.......and now an innocent child was killed ....they seem to be focusing on air guns when the real problem is morons attacking fire trucks
Every country has it's problems and every country has it's cretins, but the UK seems to be breeding a particular kind of mindless, antisocial imbecile, and at an increasing rate. Rather than just turning a blind eye and waiting for one of them to blow up and kill somebody, THEN spend a few million on 'punishing' them, I'd like to see some real effort being made to figure out why so many poeple are behaving in this way in the first place. There is a general increase in the level of disrespect not simply for the law (I have little respect for the law myself), but for basic humanity. There must be a reason for that.

When Margaret Thatcher said "There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families." she was heralding a future when the only people that mattered were yourself and those living in your house, and fuck everyone else. The difference is that she thought it was a good thing, and most sane people think it's not.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:36 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

Every country has it's problems and every country has it's cretins, but the UK seems to be breeding a particular kind of mindless, antisocial imbecile, and at an increasing rate. Rather than just turning a blind eye and waiting for one of them to blow up and kill somebody, THEN spend a few million on 'punishing' them, I'd like to see some real effort being made to figure out why so many poeple are behaving in this way in the first place. There is a general increase in the level of disrespect not simply for the law (I have little respect for the law myself), but for basic humanity. There must be a reason for that.

When Margaret Thatcher said "There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families." she was heralding a future when the only people that mattered were yourself and those living in your house, and fuck everyone else. The difference is that she thought it was a good thing, and most sane people think it's not.
Why do you have little respect for the law, if you don't mind me asking? I don't disagree with you in preventing crime, but there still needs to be a system in place for those who still decide to commit an offence.

Last edited by NJ_Dave; Aug 30th 2005 at 8:06 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:55 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I whole heartedly agree with you..I know what you mean but what about the murdererd 35 year old? still someones child..still their baby...I know I'll never stop seeing my kids as anything less whatever their age.
I know what you mean about always being someones baby....but a line has to be drawn......and a school age child is still in the care of its parents and that child is taken away from its close family........
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Why do you have little respect for the law, if you don't mind me asking? I don't disagree with you in preventing crime, but there still needs to be a system in place for those who still decide to commit an offence.
I just don't believe that something being legal or illegal has, historically, been a very good indicator of what is right or wrong. Simply because an atrocity is legal, does not mean that it is morally acceptable. Similarly, just because an act is illegal, doesn't necessarily mean that it is immoral (importing a copy of Cannibal Ferox into the UK, for example, or smoking some pot with friends on a summer evening, or sneaking into a pub when you're 16, or walking across a deserted road where there isn't a designated crossing). Laws are only as good as the governments that makes them, and I have absolutely no faith in governments. Morality and legality are not always mutually inclusive.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Thirteen years...that's the time from when I left secondary school to now. Seems like a pretty long time to me to be banged up in an 8 by 12 cell for 22 hours a day. I'll love one of you conservative types to actually spend some time in a real prison and not just take the Daily Mail's word for it that it's all free satellite telly and jolly japes in the shower room.

you are frigging joking arn't you.....if 13 years is what everyone got for murder then there would be a hell of a lot more people murdered.........give me a break 13 years in a cell.....poor guy.......life WITHOUT parole sounds more like a better sentance......get a grip
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by psb182
you are frigging joking arn't you.....if 13 years is what everyone got for murder then there would be a hell of a lot more people murdered.........

Explain to me how a 13 year sentence has any baring on an increased murder rate.

Research done by the Scottish parliament shows that the average man is convicted of murder at 18 and serves an average of 11 years of a life sentence, an amount that has, contrary to popular opinion, gone up over the years.

The Sentencing Advisory Panel's guidelines suggest a minimum murder sentence of 8 to 16 years depending on the circumstances.

So a 13 year MINIMUM sentence is actually perfectly in keeping with British sentencing traditions of the last few decades, and not a freakish one-off incident as you would suggest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.