Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USAA now open to general public

USAA now open to general public

Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:22 am
Banned

BethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud of
Default Re: USAA now open to general public

Thanks Jenny, I feel better now. I knew there was something fishy about Cranstons story
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack
I finally got a hold of them. They said membership requirements have been lowered. Cranston was'nt lying

I'm looking at other insurance/banking options..
why?

officers and family can be just as shit at driving as anyone else can, being an officer doesn't make some one special there...
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
perhaps you've simply signed up for the products that were already available to the general public, but are still ineligible for all the products USAA offers its members.
Hi Jenney, I think you are right.

Last edited by cranston; Jul 18th 2009 at 8:03 am.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I knew there was something fishy about Cranstons story
And exactly what's fishy about what I have said?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:20 am
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Jenny, I feel better now. I knew there was something fishy about Cranstons story

Sorry but I have to say that you really need to pull that feather out your arse.. as Bob said, officers can and are just as bad at driving, walking and generally living just like us normal folk to which you as an elitist snob wish to distance yourself from, now do me a big favor and crawl back under that little rock you came out of, and why are you wasting your precious time talking to us mere mortals anyway
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the rates were low because coverage was limited to a very select group of highly trained and disciplined professionals. I don't think I like sharing the risk with Billy Joe Bob baggage handler down the street...
You seem to really look down on people.

I'd trust a baggage handler more then some military officers when it comes to risk.

I mean airlines for example do trust these people to move around aircraft worth millions at airport around the country each and every day, and they have to drive ground equipment and if they are a bad driver, they wont last long at most airports.

Being highly trained can mean anything, plumbers are highly trained in their field, as are chefs, and the list can go on and on.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 18th 2009 at 9:00 am.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

punktlich2 is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, USAA insurance products are available to present and former military personnel and other commissioned officers of the USA, as well as USAA employees. Banking and brokerage products are available to others.

See this: http://tinyurl.com/nt7wwu

USAA is a mutual reinsurance exchange -- its members insure each other. But in recent years it has established subsidiaries that cover certain other, presumed riskier, non-officer associate members.

The point about limiting insurance to officers is that the moral risk is very low. Certainly not zero, but low. As USAA has expanded in order to increase its size and profitability (and, presumptively, the remuneration of its top officers) that risk has increased.

This is not "snobism"; it is statistical fact. People always object to insurers exclusion of risky policyholders, but limiting risk is the only way to keep premiums low. It is not necessarily the cheapest insurer, especially in non-auto classes; but it enjoys high customer satisfaction. Years ago I recall a statistic that over 95% of eligible military officers insured with USAA.

It is the insurer of choice for eligible persons stationed or living abroad in countries where it is licensed and issues policies -- essentially those where US forces are stationed. The EU Insurance Directives made it somewhat easier for USAA Ltd to operate in Europe. In Korea and other countries I recall that it operated under the local licenses of other US firms; AIU comes to mind.

It may be said that USAA has lost its original vision. A search online will show increasing employee dissatisfaction and higher turnover. It's my impression that their policies are more expensive than they used to be, and personal service has given way to online self-service and computerized telephone menus. But that is true of financial services generally today.

Last edited by punktlich2; Jul 18th 2009 at 10:08 am.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:43 pm
Banned

BethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
why?

officers and family can be just as shit at driving as anyone else can, being an officer doesn't make some one special there...

You've obviously never served
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You seem to really look down on people.

I'd trust a baggage handler more then some military officers when it comes to risk.

I mean airlines for example do trust these people to move around aircraft worth millions at airport around the country each and every day, and they have to drive ground equipment and if they are a bad driver, they wont last long at most airports.

Being highly trained can mean anything, plumbers are highly trained in their field, as are chefs, and the list can go on and on.

You've got to be kidding!?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by punktlich2
As others have said, USAA insurance products are available to present and former military personnel and other commissioned officers of the USA, as well as USAA employees. Banking and brokerage products are available to others.
Thanks for posting this..It's all I need to know. The woman I talked to from the banking division said she thought membership requirements have changed recently and was in the process of transferring my call when I hung up. I was pissed
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:34 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I like sharing the risk with Billy Joe Bob baggage handler down the street...

I appear to have taken a look at what life must be like in a gated community.

Do they allow colored people to join your golf club?
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I appear to have taken a look at what life must be like in a gated community.

Do they allow colored people to join your golf club?
Sorry, I did'nt know you were a baggage handler. No offence intended
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:23 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I did'nt know you were a baggage handler. No offence intended
You've really shown yourself to be a pretty vile snob in this thread... but apparently that's OK with you.

Pretty funny that you'd throw such a hissy-fit and look for another place to bank because you suspected they'd let the hoi polloi in!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:27 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You've obviously never served
Are you taking the piss here? You're suggesting that because someone was an officer in the military they DRIVE BETTER than mere mortals, and not only that but their FAMILY drives better too?

Seriously, you've managed to take snobbishness to a level I never believed possible.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:36 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Dont feed the troll...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.