Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USAA now open to general public

USAA now open to general public

Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default USAA now open to general public

At the suggestion of a friend I called USAA and became a member (for free). Their restriction on military only seems to have been lifted.

Since becoming a member I have opened a bank and brokerage account.

Whilst their products will not suit all they have a high customer satisfaction level in many surveys. Their deposting checks by Iphone facility is pretty neat. Go 1 minute into the video.

Their website does not show the lifting of membership restrictions for some reason.

Last edited by cranston; Jul 15th 2009 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USAA now open to general public

Originally Posted by cranston
At the suggestion of a friend I called USAA and became a member (for free). Their restriction on military only seems to have been lifted.

Whilst their products will not suit all they have a high customer satisfaction level in many surveys. Their deposting checks by Iphone facility is pretty neat. Go 1 minute into the video.

Their website does not show the lifting of membership restrictions for some reason.
That's news to me. We're USAA members and they are fantastic. If the requirement for a military connection has been lifted, I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 12:56 am
Son's call me a Nomad!

creamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nicecreamern is just really nice

Agreed! We have our home and auto insurance through them as well as checking and savings. Never had any problems with them and love the fact that they reimburse ATM charges!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:53 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by creamern
Agreed! We have our home and auto insurance through them as well as checking and savings. Never had any problems with them and love the fact that they reimburse ATM charges!
Totally agree. I was paying the earth when I was single and when I got married and became eligible under my wife's USAA policy my auto insurance dropped by 75%!!
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:38 am
Banned

BethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud of

Can't say i'm too excited about this. When I became a member it was restricted to officers and retired officers, 15 years later membership was available anyone in the military down to private 1rst class, and now it's just anyone. Not exactly the elite fraternity it used to be. Hello Gieco

Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be a snob.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:46 am
Banned

BethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud ofBethPageBlack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't be a snob.
Well the rates were low because coverage was limited to a very select group of highly trained and disciplined professionals. I don't think I like sharing the risk with Billy Joe Bob baggage handler down the street...
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird? Their website currently says the following:

Who is eligible?
Membership is open to:

Active-duty officers and enlisted personnel.
Children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1
National Guard and Selected Reserve officers and enlisted personnel.
Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).
Former military personnel:

Retired officers and enlisted personnel.
Former officers and enlisted personnel who separated from the military on or after Jan. 1, 1996.
Former USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack
Well the rates were low because coverage was limited to a very select group of highly trained and disciplined professionals. I don't think I like sharing the risk with Billy Joe Bob baggage handler down the street...
I don't see any evidence of the change in eligibility on their website? I was just online to pay my credit card bill and looked. Odd.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I don't see any evidence of the change in eligibility on their website?
Lets hope it was just a rumour. I'll call first thing in the morning and get the 411
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethPageBlack
Lets hope it was just a rumour.
How can it be a rumour when you have a first hand account (from me) of it happening?

Last edited by cranston; Jul 17th 2009 at 8:42 am.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 1:05 pm
Banned

How can it be a rumour when you have a first hand account (from me) of it happening?
Is this some kind of a practical joke? Because if it is it's not funny. I just called San Antonio, they wont be in for another hour.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 12:37 am
Banned

I finally got a hold of them. They said membership requirements have been lowered. Cranston was'nt lying

I'm looking at other insurance/banking options..
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

There was some weird radio ad of their's playing the other day that said something about not being a member just because you have an account, or something to that effect
Old Jul 18th 2009, 2:08 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the eligibility restrictions have been fully lifted or even changed. For one thing, USAA's website currently states:

"Since 1922, USAA has provided a full range of highly competitive financial products and services to the military and their families. Today, certain products, including investments, financial planning, life insurance and banking products — checking, savings and CDs — are available to the public."

For another, as Kaffy mentioned above, their eligibility requirements remain unchanged on the "Eligibility" section of their website. One thing that USAA is known for (among other things) is being upfront about any changes that take place which affect its members -- and making membership open to everyone would definitely be something they would announce promptly.

I've googled this and I haven't found anything about this free-for-all membership change. The closest thing I've found are various blog or message board comments about USAA expanding its membership to include military retirees, military personnel who were honorably discharged after Jan 1996, and the spouses/children of the two aforementioned groups. No mention of expanding it to include everyone.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying that you're lying, just that perhaps you've simply signed up for the products that were already available to the general public, but are still ineligible for all the products USAA offers its members. If they're playing radio ads in the Southwest then my guess is that its to drum up some extra business to draw non-eligible members to sign up for those products that are available to everyone.

BTW, I've been a very happy USAA customer for almost 20 years.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.