Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA coast like the Mediterranean?

USA coast like the Mediterranean?

Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USA coast like the Mediterranean?

Originally Posted by siam
Thank you for the responses. I have looked at Google images and the poster who suggested Tiburon and Sausalita is spot-on re what I am looking for.
The person who said U.S.A. is "too new" confirms my general impression from visits there to a variety of locations. New Orleans, which I have visited, has some charm and history but is generally still a modern city.
Is there anywhere on the east coast that mirrors the Tiburon, Sausalita environment or has other "olde world" appeal?
Thanks.
Hi:

Although the winter is cold, there are charming parts of Westchester County NY and Bergen County NJ which are on the water and have the beautiful view of a major downtown skyline.

I was thrown off by your reference to Mediterranean -- I don't use that term to describe charming water side areas with a wonderful view of a skyline.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd suggest some places in Massachusetts. Provincetown. Marblehead. Manchester. Gloucester. All very old towns, plenty of character, moderate climate (being on the ocean) and, in the case of two or three of those places, large populations of folks from Portugal etc.
Hi:

I found Martha's Vineyard to be charming and enjoyable. We stayed in a B&B located halfway between West Tisbury and Edgartown -- house built before the revolution and has stayed in the family ever since -- current resident writes mystery novels.

But there was no skyline to see -- just views of the sea and other islands.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of Basque shepherds in Idaho. Is that what you meant?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anywhere on the coast of the USA (preferrably a warm location) that is similar in character to places on the Mediterranean or "European" in character? I like places with character that are not too modern. The sort of place that springs to mind is possibly Charleston, South Carolina but I have never been there so it is just an impression.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Galveston

If you can find it.....most of it blew away or got drowned from Ike
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd suggest some places in Massachusetts. Provincetown. Marblehead. Manchester. Gloucester. All very old towns, plenty of character, moderate climate (being on the ocean) and, in the case of two or three of those places, large populations of folks from Portugal etc.
not got the med climate by a long shot though...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Mediterranean off the southern coast of Turkey, and absolutely nothing I've seen on either coastline in the USA comes even CLOSE to the beauty and cleanliness of that part of the Med. Just my opinion from the west and east coast shores I've seen.

Rene
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Is there anywhere on the coast of the USA (preferrably a warm location) that is similar in character to places on the Mediterranean or "European" in character? I like places with character that are not too modern. The sort of place that springs to mind is possibly Charleston, South Carolina but I have never been there so it is just an impression.
Savannah, Georgia?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:59 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
Savannah, Georgia?
No Way!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the responses. I have looked at Google images and the poster who suggested Tiburon and Sausalita is spot-on re what I am looking for.
The person who said U.S.A. is "too new" confirms my general impression from visits there to a variety of locations. New Orleans, which I have visited, has some charm and history but is generally still a modern city.
Is there anywhere on the east coast that mirrors the Tiburon, Sausalita environment or has other "olde world" appeal?
Thanks.
The thing you may not realise is that California has a Mediterranean climate, and - because of the Spanish influence - a Mediterranean 'look' (if you are lucky, avoiding too much modern stuff). The East Coast has anything but a Mediterranean climate; it is HOT and STICKY ('humid' - more accurately, a high dew point). Further - the architecture is more 'colonial'. Florida has some Spanish feel, but it's flat as a pancake and very humid.

Sausalito and Tiburon are wonderful but also exceptionally pricey. Santa Barbara to me perhaps meets your criteria the best, but is also extremely expensive.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 6:47 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Florida seems quite British, I guess that makes it European?... and Ray will welcome you with open arms...
Old Mar 9th 2009, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I saw the Mediterranean off the southern coast of Turkey, and absolutely nothing I've seen on either coastline in the USA comes even CLOSE to the beauty and cleanliness of that part of the Med. Just my opinion from the west and east coast shores I've seen.

Rene
Hi:

But I am still wondering about his desire to see a modern skyline. I can recall being Jaffa and seeing the Tel Aviv skyline. But that doesn't hold a candle to the views of San Francisco from Sausalito or Tiburon. Also, no bridges.

Any idea of other areas in the Med that have the view of a skyline? I'm curious.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:27 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

But I am still wondering about his desire to see a modern skyline. I can recall being Jaffa and seeing the Tel Aviv skyline. But that doesn't hold a candle to the views of San Francisco from Sausalito or Tiburon. Also, no bridges.

Any idea of other areas in the Med that have the view of a skyline? I'm curious.

Barcelona?... I'm not sure what you mean by skyline...
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

lol.. hey! I thought I just posted Barthelona! I must've clicked incorrectly.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anabella
Barcelona?... I'm not sure what you mean by skyline...
Hi:

The main thing about Tiburon and Sausalito is the georgeous view of San Francisco Bay and the San Francisco skyline. You also get views of at least one, if not two bridges, Alcatraz Island, maybe Angel Island and even Berkely including the Campanile on campus. Tiburon is warm, Sausalitlo is not.

BTW, I remember having army duty at Forts Baker and Cronkhite and relaxing after lunch at Fort Baker looking up at the Golden Gate Bridge with a friend who had been commissioned as a combat engineer and his telling me where he would plant the charges to blow up the bridge -- fortunately, it would have left the really pretty part still standing. A further BTW, that arch at the southern end of the bridge was for the purpose of preserving Fort Point. When I later visited Charlston SC, I remembered what Ft. Point looked like and it made realize what the confederate bombardment had done to the fort. Although they were both identical, they sure looked different after 1861.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 3:54 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Monte Carlo. Monaco is pretty much skyline only these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.