Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA coast like the Mediterranean?

USA coast like the Mediterranean?

Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

siam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA coast like the Mediterranean?

Is there anywhere on the coast of the USA (preferrably a warm location) that is similar in character to places on the Mediterranean or "European" in character? I like places with character that are not too modern. The sort of place that springs to mind is possibly Charleston, South Carolina but I have never been there so it is just an impression.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:12 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA coast like the Mediterranean?

Nope. too touristy here
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Seems most places here are pretty modern and crowded near the Ocean.
You may be better off with the Mediterranean if thats where you like to visit.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not on the northern east coast...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

New Orleans
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:49 am
Just Joined

MJO61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siam
Is there anywhere on the coast of the USA (preferrably a warm location) that is similar in character to places on the Mediterranean or "European" in character? I like places with character that are not too modern. The sort of place that springs to mind is possibly Charleston, South Carolina but I have never been there so it is just an impression.
My cousin settled in San Diego because she said it reminded her of the Spanish coast. Charleston is not like the Mediterranean.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

memiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nice

Capitola, just under Santa Cruz has a tiny little bit of the European charm, but really, its just a tiny, tiny little bit.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Parts of the Californian coast are Mediterranean:- same climate, same vegetation etc. Of course, you have to avoid the bits that are way overdeveloped, but then parts of the real Mediterranean are like that too. If I had to pick one or two places where I see the most similarity, I would say Tiburon and Sausalito, both in Marin county north of San Francisco.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by memiek
Capitola, just under Santa Cruz has a tiny little bit of the European charm, but really, its just a tiny, tiny little bit.
Hi:

ROFL! Capitola?

I can't say that I truly understand the OP's question. Climate-wise, the California coast south of Point Conception is the one area with what is called the Mediterranean Climate [which makes it easy to plan my wardrobe for trips to the Med -- just take what I would wear in Los Angeles!]

As for feeling and character -- for one thing, the US is simply relatively too new. What is considered "old" in the US would be considered "new" in Europe.

But getting back to your answer -- I visited my baby Banana Slug for four years [she was at Porter, if you are interested] -- and Capitola meant the Mall -- I did not get any whiff of Med or Europe at all there. The climate sure is not like the Med being a fair degree colder [although no snow].

Capitola???
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

ROFL! Capitola?

I can't say that I truly understand the OP's question. Climate-wise, the California coast south of Point Conception is the one area with what is called the Mediterranean Climate [which makes it easy to plan my wardrobe for trips to the Med -- just take what I would wear in Los Angeles!]

As for feeling and character -- for one thing, the US is simply relatively too new. What is considered "old" in the US would be considered "new" in Europe.

But getting back to your answer -- I visited my baby Banana Slug for four years [she was at Porter, if you are interested] -- and Capitola meant the Mall -- I did not get any whiff of Med or Europe at all there. The climate sure is not like the Med being a fair degree colder [although no snow].

Capitola???
LOL, I thought the same thing. Capitola is like Fresno-by-the-sea. At least he didn't suggest Seaside.

I'm also confused by the question, I immediately thought California, because of the climate, but it seems that 'charm' is more important. That said, Santa Barbara and San Diego and anything in between is probably a good bet.

I can't speak for the other coast.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:08 am
Just Joined

siam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses. I have looked at Google images and the poster who suggested Tiburon and Sausalita is spot-on re what I am looking for.
The person who said U.S.A. is "too new" confirms my general impression from visits there to a variety of locations. New Orleans, which I have visited, has some charm and history but is generally still a modern city.
Is there anywhere on the east coast that mirrors the Tiburon, Sausalita environment or has other "olde world" appeal?
Thanks.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:09 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the NE has quite cool weather in the Winter. You can look at Annapolis, MD, down in the 'old' area of the 'City Dock'. But the climate might not be to your liking. Google map 2 Main street, Annapolis, MD and select street view.

But my general advice is don't come to a new country trying to find bits of the old one, as you'll never ever be satisfied. Take it for what it is over here and then find things that remind you of home.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

This is a trick question .................. YES ?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest some places in Massachusetts. Provincetown. Marblehead. Manchester. Gloucester. All very old towns, plenty of character, moderate climate (being on the ocean) and, in the case of two or three of those places, large populations of folks from Portugal etc.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notacrime
LOL, I thought the same thing. Capitola is like Fresno-by-the-sea. At least he didn't suggest Seaside.

I'm also confused by the question, I immediately thought California, because of the climate, but it seems that 'charm' is more important. That said, Santa Barbara and San Diego and anything in between is probably a good bet.

I can't speak for the other coast.
Hi:

When taking the Santa Cruz cut-off from Salinas, I always got a kick out of Castroville. Was never there for the Artichoke Festival though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.