Reload this Page >

US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

DTLVbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

Originally Posted by JAJ
IMO - being executor could trigger the FBAR filing requirement.

Being a beneficiary could trigger an 8938 requirement while estate is in probate. And after cash is distributed, an 8938 and/or FBAR filing requirement.

A person may be both an executor and beneficiary.

No need to file a 3520, normally, unless receiving $100k or more. Or the estate post distribution creates a kind of ongoing trust with you as a beneficiary (this is unusual, except for minors).
So, if I am just a beneficiary, under my current situation I would not be required to file anything?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DTLVbrit
So, if I am just a beneficiary, under my current situation I would not be required to file anything?
Already discussed in post #29 and previously on the thread. Of course there may be additional requirements not mentioned.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Already discussed in post #29 and previously on the thread. Of course there may be additional requirements not mentioned.
Ok - got it, thanks.

As I don't believe I am the executor or have signature authority (I have no recollection of that happening), then my filing will stay the same - no FBAR, 8930 or 3520.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:32 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you were a beneficiary in 2013, nothing was filed for FBAR or 8938? Ugh, this gets so complicated.
What? A will is a document that tells executors how to distribute an estate after death. Being named on it as a beneficiary or even executor gives you no current interest or signature authority over any foreign accounts. That only happens after the testator dies. My Mum was the only person with any authority over her money, house etc until she died.

My Mum died in 2014 and the solicitor administered the estate and put it into probate. I'll file FBAR and 8938 for 2014 as I figure I now have an interest in the estate that was created by my Mum's death. The estate will be distributed in 2015 so I'll file FBAR, 8938 and 3520 for 2015.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
What? A will is a document that tells executors how to distribute an estate after death. Being named on it as a beneficiary or even executor gives you no current interest or signature authority over any foreign accounts. That only happens after the testator dies. My Mum was the only person with any authority over her money, house etc until she died.

My Mum died in 2014 and the solicitor administered the estate and put it into probate. I'll file FBAR and 8938 for 2014 as I figure I now have an interest in the estate that was created by my Mum's death. The estate will be distributed in 2015 so I'll file FBAR, 8938 and 3520 for 2015.
Sorry, I meant that prior to tax year 2014, you had no requirement to file FBAR or 8938, as it sounds like you didn't. I think I was getting flustered over all this and understanding JAJ had mentioned.

What you say about the Will makes sense. Now just to clarify, I don't need to file anything this year based on our conversation?

And thanks for helping me on a tough subject

Last edited by DTLVbrit; Jan 24th 2015 at 2:56 am.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I meant that prior to tax year 2014, you had no requirement to file FBAR or 8938, as it sounds like you didn't. I think I was getting flustered over all this and understanding JAJ had mentioned.

What you say about the Will makes sense. Now just to clarify, I don't need to file anything this year based on our conversation?
Perhaps there is some over-thinking going on here.

Once again.

Being the beneficiary of a will, before the testator is deceased, does not trigger any U.S. filing requirement.

Being the executor and/or beneficiary of a will, while undergoing probate, may trigger an FBAR and/or 8938 (not 8930 ... ) filing requirement. Depends on circumstances.

Receipt of the foreign inheritance, may, depending on circumstances, trigger an FBAR and/or 8938 and/or 3520 filing requirement.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps there is some over-thinking going on here.

Once again.

Being the beneficiary of a will, before the testator is deceased, does not trigger any U.S. filing requirement.

Being the executor and/or beneficiary of a will, while undergoing probate, may trigger an FBAR and/or 8938 (not 8930 ... ) filing requirement. Depends on circumstances.

Receipt of the foreign inheritance, may, depending on circumstances, trigger an FBAR and/or 8938 and/or 3520 filing requirement.
Yeah I'm totally over thinking - sorry. Did I read wrong before though, being the executor of a will before deceased might also trigger an FBAR? Even though I wouldn't have any control over any account a until they have passed?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:29 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm totally over thinking - sorry. Did I read wrong before though, being the executor of a will before deceased might also trigger an FBAR? Even though I wouldn't have any control over any account a until they have passed?
IMHO being mentioned in a will in any capacity has no US tax consequences until the testator dies and then they are probably only informational.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

Did I read wrong before though, being the executor of a will before deceased might also trigger an FBAR?
It is not possible to be an executor before the testator has deceased.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is not possible to be an executor before the testator has deceased.
Ugh of course. What about having signature authority? I assume same rules apply?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:02 am
JAJ
Retired

What about having signature authority? I assume same rules apply?
Signature authority over what?

Sigh.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Signature authority over what?

Sigh.
Right, as I wouldn't have signature authority until the Will maker is deceased. Got it. Sorry
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Right, as I wouldn't have signature authority until the Will maker is deceased. Got it. Sorry
Well you might do if you had Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney ... but that would cease on the death.