Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

DTLVbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

Hey guys - long time lurker, finally made an account to help contribute to the community and ask some questions that have been on my mind! I tend to get nervous about taxes as I fear screwing something up or forgetting something - so I wondered if I can ask you guys this question!

I have lived in the US as a permanent resident now for 7 and a half years after coming here after graduating university!

I kept my HSBC account open mainly for traveling to the UK and at the time to pay off my debt I had created on my credit card as a student, and to continue my student load repayments! My balance is always below £100 in my checking account - hence never needing to file the FBAR, but I always check the box in the schedule B saying I have foreign accounts.

The other day I logged on to my online account for the first time in a while and saw I had forgotten about a savings account that I had open since being a student that had a balance of 0.30p! It looks like zero interest has been applied in as long as I can go back in my account history (5 years). I was surprised this still existed to be honest. But then I became freaked out! Is this "instant access" savings account something I need to add to my taxes? Is there any reason this may be considered a foreign trust (Form 3520)? I know that there is some conversation about ISA's etc being added, but this is just a standard savings account with no interest being applied in a long time!

So, am I doing everything right? Should I have been filing the 3520 or 3520-a? I can't seem to find a solid answer without scaremongering :/

Thanks for any help guys - I really appreciate it - and hope this stops me from worrying about whether I have done something right or not with taxes!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax regarding UK savings accounts

30p?
Forget about it, close it, transfer the money, donate it...
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hotscot
30p?
Haha I know it sounds ridiculous, but regardless of the amount, is this the kind of account that warrants a 3520 filing?

Thanks for the reply
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't panic!

No, you don't need a 3520. I'm not sure where that idea came from.

Normal UK bank accounts are treated by the IRS just like normal US bank accounts, apart from the possible requirement for the 8938 (FATCA) and FBAR forms, neither of which you qualify for.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 2:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

30p?
It's a rounding error, literally.

30p (roughly 50¢) would not even "fit" on a US tax return, because you (can) only file on whole dollars. Forget about it, leave the account open, close it, do whatever the he11 you want with it, because I will guarantee the IRS doesn't care!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to the more general aspect of the question, a UK bank/savings account would be tax free in the UK. Send FormR85 to the bank/building society.

As Owen778 says, it would be treated in exactly the same way by the IRS as interest on a US savings account.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
In answer to the more general aspect of the question, a UK bank/savings account would be tax free in the UK. Send FormR85 to the bank/building society.
True, but with less than a hundred pounds in a current account I really can't imagine he earns enough interest for it to be worth the effort.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
True, but with less than a hundred pounds in a current account I really can't imagine he earns enough interest for it to be worth the effort.
Which is why I said in answer to the more general aspect ... it may be helpful to others.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Which is why I said in answer to the more general aspect ... it may be helpful to others.
Ah, OK. I understood that to mean that you were advising him on a question he hadn't specifically asked.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 1:49 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

It's so nice to have a US/UK tax question where you can say that there is no issue at all, no reporting requirement because the value is so low, no interest to report and it's not a foreign trust.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
It's so nice to have a US/UK tax question where you can say that there is no issue at all, no reporting requirement because the value is so low, no interest to report and it's not a foreign trust.
Haha I was thinking the same thing! Thanks to everyone who helped and answered my query!

I think the person who mentioned this to me originally believed that all kinds of savings accounts abroad can be classed as foreign trusts.

On a similar note - do I need to report my UK student loan repayments on any part of taxes? The same person mentioned that my student loan could also be seen as a foreign trust (as in transactions would warrant filing the form 3520). I wouldn't think so?!

Cheers everyone
Old Nov 1st 2014, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DTLVbrit
I think the person who mentioned this to me originally believed that all kinds of savings accounts abroad can be classed as foreign trusts.

On a similar note - do I need to report my UK student loan repayments on any part of taxes? The same person mentioned that my student loan could also be seen as a foreign trust (as in transactions would warrant filing the form 3520). I wouldn't think so?!

When using the term "trust" think of something like a family trust, where someone has transferred property into a trust for the benefit of others. Very few people are trust beneficiaries, whether U.S. or foreign. Usually, it is something that you would know. And if a U.S. resident is the beneficiary of a foreign trust, as so defined, a form 3520 (plus form 3520A) is normally required.

However, a bank account is not a trust. Nor is a loan contract.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
When using the term "trust" think of something like a family trust, where someone has transferred property into a trust for the benefit of others. Very few people are trust beneficiaries, whether U.S. or foreign. Usually, it is something that you would know. And if a U.S. resident is the beneficiary of a foreign trust, as so defined, a form 3520 (plus form 3520A) is normally required.

However, a bank account is not a trust. Nor is a loan contract.
Thanks for that - missed this message. That makes sense then!

I guess there is a different between a Will my parents may have set up back in the UK (which I am unaware of) and a trust? I know these are usually two different things, but would the IRS consider a Will in the UK where I may be a beneficiary a foreign trust?

Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DTLVbrit
Thanks for that - missed this message. That makes sense then!

I guess there is a different between a Will my parents may have set up back in the UK (which I am unaware of) and a trust? I know these are usually two different things, but would the IRS consider a Will in the UK where I may be a beneficiary a foreign trust?

Thanks!

No
A will is not a trust.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 11:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

No
A will is not a trust.
A trust is a very specific legal entity. If you are in doubt about whether you have a foreign trust ask yourself this question.

"Do I control the money in the account and can I sell and close the account at anytime on my own". If you answer yes then it's not a trust.

So bank accounts, brokerage accounts, ISAs etc are not trusts.

When it comes to foreign estates left after someone dies I was unsure so I let my mothers solicitor be the executor as I didn't want there to be any chance of being a trustee of a foreign trust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.