Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which US passport to apply for? Passport card?

Which US passport to apply for? Passport card?

Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

octopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which US passport to apply for? Passport card?

Gentlemen, just got my passport

What I noticed, it is of much poorer quality when comparing to my British passport. The original photo I sent was awesome! And they made it look terrible, it looks bleached, and it is not even aligned to the center.

Also the machine readable zone is at slight angle and the left side of it, it is right at the edge of the paper, which makes me question whether it is readable or scannable at all.

Is this quality normal/standard, or did I just receive defective piece that should be replaced?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind that! What we're all dying to know is, how many pages does it have?
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

octopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond reputeoctopus1980 has a reputation beyond repute

just enough pages
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by octopus1980

What I noticed, it is of much poorer quality when comparing to my British passport.
Why don't you send it back and tell them. Sure they would be delighted to receive your critique.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
Why don't you send it back and tell them. Sure they would be delighted to receive your critique.
I honestly do not care about the quality as long as it is good for travel. My only concern was the photo may not resemble my face accurately due to their poor printing, and the MRZ being off.

If you don't think it is a problem, then I am happy I don't have to take any action :-) I just don't want to get stuck on an airport in a foreign country.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 11:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly do not care about the quality as long as it is good for travel. My only concern was the photo may not resemble my face accurately due to their poor printing, and the MRZ being off.

If you don't think it is a problem, then I am happy I don't have to take any action :-) I just don't want to get stuck on an airport in a foreign country.
My US passport has a distorted version of the picture I sent them, wider and squashed as best I remember. I have used it without question or delay at the immigration desk to fly to the UK and back.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My US passport has a distorted version of the picture I sent them, wider and squashed as best I remember. I have used it without question or delay at the immigration desk to fly to the UK and back.
Thanks, then everything is good!

Although, you flew US <-> UK , I wonder someone got any alike issue in Russia, China, etc.
Old Sep 24th 2016, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

My first adult passport had my place of birth misspelled. I used it half a dozen times over it's 10 year validity and no customs agent ever said a word.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 12:11 am
Just Joined

US government is preaching water, but drinking wine. Other countries are demanded to have perfect travel documents, while Americans are given less perfect and less secure ones, in my opinion. Sorry for the rant, I know my opinion does not matter anyways
Old Sep 26th 2016, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

What's your obsession with passports? You started by going on and on about how many pages, asking questions that it was impossible for anyone to answer. Now that you have one you are still not satisfied and not even willing to tell us how many pages it has!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 12:31 pm

US government is preaching water, but drinking wine. Other countries are demanded to have perfect travel documents, while Americans are given less perfect and less secure ones, in my opinion. Sorry for the rant, I know my opinion does not matter anyways. ....
I am not sure in what way you think it is "less secure" about a new US passport?

The key to modern passport security is the machine readability and the chip. I believe that in less than 20 years physical passports will become optional (only truely needed by those visiting the remote backwaters of third world countries), with most people taking the option of a "passport app" on their phone which links real-time to a file of their personal details and visas, probably a variety of identifying pictures and other information, and most likely linked to all manner of other data harvested from your credit file, farcebook, linkedin, etc. The chip in physical passports will contain exactly the same data and the IP address of your passport file.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
What's your obsession with passports? ...
No obsession, just sticking to the thread. It is possible that I am way too focused on detail and finding problems where most people simply won't.

I am not sure in what way you think it is "less secure" about a new US passport?

The key to modern passport security is the machine readability and the chip. I believe that in less than 20 years physical passports will become optional (only truely needed by those visiting the remote backwaters of third world countries), with most people taking the option of a "passport app" on their phone which links real-time to a file of their personal details and visas, probably a variety of identifying pictures and other information, and most likely linked to all manner of other data harvested from your credit file, farcebook, linkedin, etc. The chip in physical passports will contain exactly the same data and the IP address of your passport file.
I think you may be right. That's how I see it too, and it is scary.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 4:19 pm

..... I think you may be right. That's how I see it too, and it is scary.
Why? What do you have to hide?

I used to worry about the government snooping through my personal data, then I realized my life is rather boring so it doesn't matter what the government is looking for, they won't find it.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Why? What do you have to hide?

I used to worry about the government snooping through my personal data, then I realized my life is rather boring so it doesn't matter what the government is looking for, they won't find it.
This is clearly for another topic. But government snooping is not as innocent as you may think. In short, lets pretend good guys are in power today. No need to worry right. Tomorrow bad guys take over and they have the entire system already set up.

Asking "What do you have to hide?" is very dangerous. If you say you don't care about privacy, because you have nothing to hide that basically equals to saying you don't care about free speech, because you have nothing to say.

We may start another thread for this :-)
Old Sep 28th 2016, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Passports will become obsolete when the populations DNA is all held on record and everyone is chipped. Chips have been trialed in animals for years, only a matter of time for them to become FDA approved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.