Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 26th 2011, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

aeindra76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Hello, I'm new on this forum as my family are in need of help in regard of passport renewal. My husband has send in his renewal & received on April 26 at DC but just charged our cc for amount of $226 today. We are schedule to leave on June 9 (2 weeks from today) from Chicago. He hasn't been home for a long 10 years & only now because his father's failing health. We've contacted Chicago consulate for emergency travel document but haven't heard back if he's qualify to get one. I see there is a lot who are in the same boat as us. My mother-in-law called yesterday about her husband taking a worst turn after receiving the news that their son might not make it for the trip. Also, we cannot afford to rebook the flight due to extremely high prices. Any suggestion would help. We just sit & pray that we'll hear something soon. Please help!!!
Old May 26th 2011, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

babannie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aeindra76
Hello, I'm new on this forum as my family are in need of help in regard of passport renewal. My husband has send in his renewal & received on April 26 at DC but just charged our cc for amount of $226 today. We are schedule to leave on June 9 (2 weeks from today) from Chicago. He hasn't been home for a long 10 years & only now because his father's failing health. We've contacted Chicago consulate for emergency travel document but haven't heard back if he's qualify to get one. I see there is a lot who are in the same boat as us. My mother-in-law called yesterday about her husband taking a worst turn after receiving the news that their son might not make it for the trip. Also, we cannot afford to rebook the flight due to extremely high prices. Any suggestion would help. We just sit & pray that we'll hear something soon. Please help!!!

Call the Consulate again and get a hold of Dean the British Consul on here. His id is British Consul. He can help expedite it for you.

Dean__________________
DEAN CHURM British Consul & Regional Operations Manager, Southern USA
British Consular Services (North America & Caribbean)
Web Twitter Facebook Feedback
Old May 26th 2011, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by babannie
Call the Consulate again and get a hold of Dean the British Consul on here. His id is British Consul. He can help expedite it for you.

Dean__________________
DEAN CHURM British Consul & Regional Operations Manager, Southern USA
British Consular Services (North America & Caribbean)
Web Twitter Facebook Feedback
I'm calling the consulate again first thing in the morning. But as to contacting Dean Churm, I have no clue as to how to contact him. Should I just post it in his name??? Thanks a million.
Old May 26th 2011, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm calling the consulate again first thing in the morning. But as to contacting Dean Churm, I have no clue as to how to contact him. Should I just post it in his name??? Thanks a million.
You can reach Dean here...but you can't send or receive Private Messages until you have made 3 posts.
Old May 27th 2011, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Of course....

Contacted Dean yesterday by pm and he told me that passports are taking between 6 to 8 weeks after payment is taken. Also, this will be written on the website.

Of course you just knew that today the UPS guy came around to deliver the passport. Of course we weren't in, so hubs will be working from home tomorrow to accept delivery!
Old May 27th 2011, 12:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...My mother-in-law called yesterday about her husband taking a worst turn after receiving the news that their son might not make it for the trip. Also, we cannot afford to rebook the flight due to extremely high prices. Any suggestion would help. We just sit & pray that we'll hear something soon. Please help!!!
Can always call for compassionate fairs, usually for deaths in the family, but also some airlines offer them for those with very sick relatives. Might not be cheaper, but they are a lot more flexible with moveable dates etc.

All the best for you FIL.
Old May 27th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can reach Dean here...but you can't send or receive Private Messages until you have made 3 posts.
Now that we know how long this process took, we wish we would have done this a long time ago to avoid this knotted feeling in the stomach. Hope this problem is solve for future travelers soon. I'm keeping my fingers cross.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:49 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

I know Dean Churm is probably getting bombarded with Q's he cannot answer but.. payment taken on May 18th .....due to travel june 30th.... can he give approx odds or would it be better to throw tickets in bin .. because I work for small company I can't just change week of travel without causing chaos. I am annoyed with consulate website that did not show ANY delays on April 12th when I sent my renewal in. and I find it hard to believe that Washington just woke up one morning and found a big pile in the in box.

Last edited by lyonsden1193; May 27th 2011 at 7:26 pm. Reason: major spelling goof up
Old May 27th 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

rob5252 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=lyonsden1193;9392098]I know Dean Churm is probably getting bombarded with Q's he cannot answer but.. payment taken on May 18th .....due to travel june 30th.... can he give approx odds or would it be better to throw tickets in bin .. because I work for small company I can't just change week of travel without causing chaos. I am annoyed with consulate website that did not show ANY delays on April 12th when I sent my renewal in. and I find it hard to believe that Washington just woke up one morning and found a big pile in the in box.[/QUOTE

Hi - you are almost exactly one month behind me (sent application March; payment taken 04/11/11) and still no passport. At this rate, it may be cutting things fine if you don't take some action. But you still have another 5weeks and miracles do happen so don't lose hope.

I called the care line today for second time - (very unpleasant experience - was told I shouldn't have booked my trip without a passport - very unhelpful and condescending - oh and costly) - only to be told my application has still not progressed.

They have "escalated" my case, which means I should be hearing from them in the next 3 working days (not holding my breath at this point). I called my consulate and spoke with a really lovely woman who said she will try and help me. If we get no joy, she reassured me that I will travel and we will "work something out" (Emergency Travel Document??). I feel a little more hopeful that I may be travelling - hope this helps...
Old May 27th 2011, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
I know Dean Churm is probably getting bombarded with Q's he cannot answer but.. payment taken on May 18th .....due to travel june 30th.... can he give approx odds or would it be better to throw tickets in bin .. because I work for small company I can't just change week of travel without causing chaos. I am annoyed with consulate website that did not show ANY delays on April 12th when I sent my renewal in. and I find it hard to believe that Washington just woke up one morning and found a big pile in the in box.
If payment has been taken from your credit card, I would advise contacting the Passport Information Helpline and ask them to escalate the matter for you. If you still haven't received your passport within 5 days of your travel date, contact your local British Consulate and arrange for an Emergency Travel Document - they will also ask the passport service for an update on your application.

Hope this helps.

Dean
Old May 27th 2011, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Oliver2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sent via Courier on Feb 12, 2011
Card Charged March 17
Called Careline May 18th, got a case number
May 19th nice lady emails me
May 24 Passport Arrives

Was a first time Passport
Old May 28th 2011, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rob5252
... was told I shouldn't have booked my trip without a passport - very unhelpful and condescending - oh and costly)...
Respectfully, as unhelpful and condescending as the response might have been, the person was 100% correct.

Ian
Old May 28th 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

rob5252 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Respectfully, as unhelpful and condescending as the response might have been, the person was 100% correct.

Ian
your opinions are of no interest to me.
Old May 28th 2011, 5:19 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

There is an update on the website recently that passports are taking longer than usual. Probably because careline has been inundated with calls. I'm glad that we have no travel plans but It's a shame for people that do. When my husbands was sent in March no such message was on the sight. It's truly appaling. It's been 8 weeks since they received his passport and over 6 since his card was charged. Dean was kind enough to answer my PM the other week and told me that they are behind in processing. I'm not going to bother calling careline but it is really upsetting.
Old May 28th 2011, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Simosa88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum so take it easy on me first time
So, I lost my passport in Fernie near Calgary and since then have moved to Vancouver. The problem is I am a 22 year-old graduate here by myself that needs to get to America at the beginning of July. My rent runs out then and money is low. I sent all my documents back to England (as I have no contacts here who could countersign) and the application arrived on April 2nd in Washington - that was the quickest I could get it there. Now, I've come on this forum and people are saying there is a serious delay in Washington which has scared the crap out of me. Up till now no payment has been taken from my card.

I was wondering what the best tactics and action would be towards getting my passport back ASAP. I have committed so much money to this US trip I really can't look back now, and other people are going to shoot me as they have committed a lot too. I was thinking:
1. Write a letter to Washington begging them to start processing.
2. Calling careline to escalate?
3. Last resort ask for emergency travel documents from the consulate in Vancouver.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it realistic that I can get my passport back in the beginning of July if I try all avenues? If I had known it would take this long I would have flown back to England and got the passport there. I know other people are in worse situations with relatives with health issues so my thoughts go out to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.