Reload this Page >

SSN Name typo

SSN Name typo

Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

beeps29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SSN Name typo

Hi All,

Have finally recieved a social security card after 2 attemps, and they have made a typo in the name!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this and if you have to go to the office to show ID to get it changed or can it be done over the phone?

Thanks

Richard
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN Name typo

got to be done in person I'd have thought....hassle that though ain't it...
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beeps29
Hi All,

Have finally recieved a social security card after 2 attemps, and they have made a typo in the name!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this and if you have to go to the office to show ID to get it changed or can it be done over the phone?

Thanks

Richard
IF it is off by more than one letter, you need to get it corrected. Otherwise, fuggedaboutit.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
IF it is off by more than one letter, you need to get it corrected. Otherwise, fuggedaboutit.
Mea - One letter off is OK? I've had my SSN my whole life, and yesterday realised that theyve added one extra letter in the middle of my last name - never realised that before, and never been a problem before but was getting worried that I need to go thru the hassle of changing it..
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frank09
Mea - One letter off is OK? I've had my SSN my whole life, and yesterday realised that theyve added one extra letter in the middle of my last name - never realised that before, and never been a problem before but was getting worried that I need to go thru the hassle of changing it..
frank, now I can't find the SSA document explaining it.

I'm thinking that you may have a visit to SSA in your future anyway, what with the family coming over (you can order the SS cards on the family's DS-230 II forms and they should be sent to you automatically) but considering that you will be needing to get all your US documents etc sorted out, you might be more comfortable with an SS card that has your name on there correctly.
It's not a big deal to get a new one.
I need to change or correct the name on my Social Security card. How do I do this?

Correcting errors on my Social Security card.

See if those links work for you; if not, put those questions into the SSA.gov questions/answer thing.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

frank, now I can't find the SSA document explaining it.

I'm thinking that you may have a visit to SSA in your future anyway, what with the family coming over (you can order the SS cards on the family's DS-230 II forms and they should be sent to you automatically) but considering that you will be needing to get all your US documents etc sorted out, you might be more comfortable with an SS card that has your name on there correctly.
It's not a big deal to get a new one.
I need to change or correct the name on my Social Security card. How do I do this?

Correcting errors on my Social Security card.

See if those links work for you; if not, put those questions into the SSA.gov questions/answer thing.
Thanks for the links! Although - I've got things like my bank accounts etc in the past sorted ok years ago but I agree that I would like the correct name on there, when we get to the states I will sort it
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:22 pm

Rules have changed *big time* with the use of SSNs as identifiers etc.

I have to go get a new photo for my driver's license this year (instead of getting the extension sticker as usual) because now I have to go prove that I am a US citizen or an alien with permission to live here. A valid SS number is one of the requirements, and they actually check it with SSA before giving me my license back.

The banks are getting sucky.. everyone is. Just a heads up for you.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

I have to go get a new photo for my driver's license this year (instead of getting the extension sticker as usual) because now I have to go prove that I am a US citizen or an alien with permission to live here. A valid SS number is one of the requirements, and they actually check it with SSA before giving me my license back.

Thanks - its not worth risking it - I will sort this out asap.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Get it changed. You may have immigration issues (i-9 process for new joiners at many companies includes cross check of ssn name. If different, you will have to correct at ssn office BEFORE you can join company).
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

It can also cause tax issues as the IRS routinely rejects tax returns where the name doesn't match SS records. Definitely get it changed if you can.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

beeps29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to update, we went in this morning to the office and had the name changed, the correct spelling is registered with the homeland security and one of the employees there had gone back into the account and changed the letter for some reason...

Anyway 10 days to get it re-delivered

thanks for the advise on here
Old Jan 28th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice

I had this problem and it affected the issue of SSN to the whole family. I received a letter from SS office to say that I had to visit an INS office and show ID to show my correct name. (My first name begins with "D" and their records showed that it began with an "F" - obviously a typo as d and f are next to each other on the keyboard). Anyway even though I made an appointment at San Antonio, I still had to wait over 1 and half hours to be seen, and the worst of it was the woman who did see to me has been wandering around the office scowling at everyone and not interviewing anyone else.

She just looked at the letter and said that all I needed to do was call Houston Airport (where I landed) and tell them and that I didn't need to come to them.

One thing is for sure you can't do anything here without an SSN!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beeps29
Just to update, we went in this morning to the office and had the name changed, the correct spelling is registered with the homeland security and one of the employees there had gone back into the account and changed the letter for some reason...

Anyway 10 days to get it re-delivered

thanks for the advise on here
what did they ask you to bring as proof of the real spelling?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice

My passport and vias docs
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

NY, NJ & Florida 9Post 9/11), you have to show them the actual SS card, no copies, the original. Not sure about other states.
Reg. Frank R.