Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Renewing a 15 yr old's passport-child's or adult's?

Renewing a 15 yr old's passport-child's or adult's?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Rose of the Shires will become famous soon enough
Default Renewing a 15 yr old's passport-child's or adult's?

I'm just about to renew our kids' passports - and have browsed around the UKinUSA site. I've just picked myself up from the floor after clicking on the 'fees' link (HOW MUCH!!!).
Our middle child was 15 in December. I'm not sure whether to apply for a child's 5 year pp now or wait a few weeks to get him an adult's 10 year one. I read on the site that it is possible to apply for renewal 9 months in advance of the expiration date of a passport. Does anyone know if the same 9 month rule applies to the application for an adult pp from a child aged 15 years and 3 months?

His previous child's pp has just expired-we're not anticipating having to travel in the short term, but will be going to the UK for my M&D's 50th wedding anniversary in the summer , so will need to be sorted by then. I don't want to be without passports for long, though, just in case of emergency.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing a 15 yr old's passport-child's or adult's?

Originally Posted by Rose of the Shires
I'm just about to renew our kids' passports - and have browsed around the UKinUSA site. I've just picked myself up from the floor after clicking on the 'fees' link (HOW MUCH!!!).
Our middle child was 15 in December. I'm not sure whether to apply for a child's 5 year pp now or wait a few weeks to get him an adult's 10 year one. I read on the site that it is possible to apply for renewal 9 months in advance of the expiration date of a passport. Does anyone know if the same 9 month rule applies to the application for an adult pp from a child aged 15 years and 3 months?

His previous child's pp has just expired-we're not anticipating having to travel in the short term, but will be going to the UK for my M&D's 50th wedding anniversary in the summer , so will need to be sorted by then. I don't want to be without passports for long, though, just in case of emergency.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I've recently read a lot of info on getting passports through the British embassy. I admit I'm not in America but the rules are the same.

This is what I understood from your post......

Your son's passport has already expired so the question of renewel upto 9 months in advance has lost any significance.

I believe you have two choices.

You fill in the forms for renewel of a child's passport and send back his old one (and any other stuff required).

Your son must apply for his first adult passport when he has had his 16th birthday.

I hope that helps.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lorna
Thanks for the reply- I was actually asking whether the '9 months' rule applies to when an applicant will fall short of qualification for an adult passport (ie 16), or what the leeway is ...if any.

I'm actually just filling in the application form (for the 5 yr child's pp) for our youngest, and noticed that it says at the top " Do NOT use this form if the child is 16, or will be within 00 weeks". The '00' is obviously a typo, but I don't know what the grace period should be. Maybe if this form mentions weeks, though, it's unlikely to stretch to months?

Rose
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:21 am
Just Joined

darklady109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Just wanted to let you know I just did this last July, I followed the form rules and applied for a child passport for him, they took the money and sent it back saying, apply as an adult and I paid again!.
If your in the UK go to the passport office and ask them, if your in the US then I suggest sending the child form and add the last page of the adult form.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks DL

How far short of 16 was your son when you applied?

Rose