San Diego

Old May 6th 2009, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Diego

Originally Posted by Vicky88
We have just moved from San Diego to the Bay Area and have to say that we prefer the Bay Area to San Diego. IMHO, I think of San Diego as a piece of fairy floss, all light and airy with no substance, it's like a splash of vanilla on your walls. Nothing really happens there and it seems to spend a lot of time trying to be the "in" place.
You moved!!!

Hope that all is well! I understand what you mean....being a country girl at heart, personally I prefer San Diego, but each to their own
Old May 6th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, my DH was at Qualcomm but they were making a lot of layoffs so we decided to take an opportunity in Silicon Valley which has really worked out as it is a better company and a better job.

I'm also a country girl, but I do like being able to stroll the coffee shop and restaurants. When we first moved to San Diego in 1998 we loved it. However, as it developed and sprawled I feel they made a real mess of it. Street after street of cookie cutter housing developments with the houses built on top of each other, traffic is horrendous with no improvements in sight, now the city is broke there are pot holes every where.

Here in Silicon Valley we live in a house in a nice neighbourhood. There are major cycling tracks within our suburb. Lots of coffee shops (not Starbucks TG) and restaurants a five minute walk away as well as a pub. We have a real airport within 50 miles where we can catch direct flights to Europe or Australia, and that is definitely an improvement over the hell hole of LAX or the joke of Lindbergh Field. Lots of weekend trips, to Napa or Tahoe which is our favourite place in California. There just seems so much more to do here.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
We have just moved from San Diego to the Bay Area and have to say that we prefer the Bay Area to San Diego. IMHO, I think of San Diego as a piece of fairy floss, all light and airy with no substance, it's like a splash of vanilla on your walls. Nothing really happens there and it seems to spend a lot of time trying to be the "in" place.

San Diego was a very military oriented city for a large portion of its most recent history and still is although on a smaller scale and was a fairly small city until the last 20 years or so.

The airport in San Diego may be small, but as long as LAX is there, San Diego will never see major international destinations on the scale of LAX or SFO.

San Diego is a destination airport for airlines with flights mostly to/from major hubs.

SFO is a hub for United, and LAX a major focus city for several airlines.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Curious! Why is Vancouver the only place in Canada you would consider?
Well ... it probably maps to my opinion that the only place I'd live in the US is in the Bay Area or San Diego; I find the west coast of both countries to be desirable for a number of reasons:
1) west coast weather is generally the best - mild, low humidity - no hot sticky summers, no long drawn-out winters. Toronto in the summer is HOT/STICKY; in the winter, it's COLD!
2) west coast people and politics tend to be more laid back and progressive
3) there is a strong Asian presence/influence. I've always liked Asians (people, food, culture, etc) and there's a tremendous Asian presence in Vancouver.