Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Old Sep 26th 2015, 3:55 pm
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating Dog-DIY or Company?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Florida12, if you are planning on using BA then you'll need to ask them for the certificate that they want. It may well be the IATA one - this is the one I got our french vet to fill in (in English) https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/f.../APHIS7001.pdf We needed 3 copies of this - all originals and not photocopies.

The process for us was:
Dog booked in with Lufthansa for all flights (just ensuring that they haven't reached the limit of number of animals on each flight). Nothing paid at this point. BEFORE OUR FLIGHTS WERE BOOKED
Took her to the airport with us - went to ticket sales desk and paid for her as "excess baggage" $350. Went to check in ourselves and 10 bags(!) then at the appropriate time, took the dog to the excess baggage check in, presented documents and they took her away in her crate to the plane.
We collected her from excess baggage at Houston (we were there way ahead of her), she was wheeled out on a trolley by the handler. Took her out of the crate at customs check - she was given a lookover and the iata form above was looked at to verify rabies vaccine.
Sounds easy & straightforward. I hope my experience will be just as, like yours. I just spoke to BA this afternoon & was advised to firstly speak to Petairuk (they know of 50 different pet carriers!) Of which flight is available for them to travel on before, i book my flight as we all need to be on the same flight & some flights may be over their crate quota on a particular flight.
Good to know that your dog was handled by staff & you were there already to meet her! Hope that'll be the case for me.
I am awaiting a callback from Petairuk then i get on with the paperwork in hand. Although, BA told me that they do handle all of that in relation to USA relocation. They know all the requirements before relocating so i may just ask them everything & see if they can deal with the paperwork apart from the vets requirements that i have to do and get documentation for.
Thank you for sharing your positive experience. Helps my nerves & anxieties alot. Many thanks.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

My husband collected our cat from a building just a short distance from DTW airport, so he'd already gone through customs when he was picked up. He just had to pay a small customs fee (in cash).
Old Oct 1st 2015, 3:58 pm

Has anyone used 'Passport for Pets' to relocate to the USA? If so, how was your experience?

Passport For Pets | We ship your dog to, cat to, pet to any country

They came up the cheapest out of all of the other 4 separate quotes from each company.

Petairuk, Flypets, Animalairlines, Airpets.. Quotes were from £1,052

Passport for pets £702! 1 free kennel carrier because of 2 dogs . Minus Flight for certificate, which I stated I want to get myself, plus.. this company is based 10 mins from Terminal 5 at heathrow.

Hope a pet owner has used this company so I can go ahead and book with them.

Old Oct 1st 2015, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florida12
Has anyone used 'Passport for Pets' to relocate to the USA? If so, how was your experience?

Passport For Pets | We ship your dog to, cat to, pet to any country

They came up the cheapest out of all of the other 4 separate quotes from each company.

Petairuk, Flypets, Animalairlines, Airpets.. Quotes were from £1,052

Passport for pets £702! 1 free kennel carrier because of 2 dogs . Minus Flight for certificate, which I stated I want to get myself, plus.. this company is based 10 mins from Terminal 5 at heathrow.

Hope a pet owner has used this company so I can go ahead and book with them.

Use BE's search engine to search...that way you will see if the company has been discussed in any of BE's forums.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Use BE's search engine to search...that way you will see if the company has been discussed in any of BE's forums.
Good idea. Thank you
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:15 am

Another quick question...
Does a pet agent, such as petair etc come with 'pet insurance' when booking their service?
I was told by one of the 5 pet agent carriers that, they do not provide pet insurance for their 'one way' travel abroad. I was told to get myself. Is this the norm? If so, what insurance companies are the best for this type of thing?

2ND Question..

When I arrive on my K1 visa, am I subject to secondary interview at POE? If so, how long does it usually take and do I stress to them that, I have 2 dogs waiting somewhere for me in airport, probably afraid hungry and sitting In their own soil in the crate?.
Any experience of anyone who, travelled with their pets on the same flight, got to the USA and had secondary interview at POE and how long did it take and how long til you actually got your pets?
All worrying this.. now..
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

We bought the pet insurance separately (company recommended by PetAir) that covered the animal during transit. My husband and I flew separately so I handled the cat transport at one end and he picked him up at the other. Is it just you moving?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by NatashaB
We bought the pet insurance separately (company recommended by PetAir) that covered the animal during transit. My husband and I flew separately so I handled the cat transport at one end and he picked him up at the other. Is it just you moving?
yes just myself with my 2 Chihuahuas. Same flight on the day.
Thank you for the insurance answer. I shall have to look into that. Now I am worried about once I am there, if POE keeps me away for interview for too long while they are both waiting god knows where.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's a tough one. You have to accept that travelling like this is not ideal and will be rough on them, and weigh up the disadvantages of that versus the stress of rehoming them. We would probably not have brought our cat if it weren't for the fact he was my stepdaughter's and she would have been heartbroken to leave him behind. Could you not have PetAir board them for a day or so while you fly into the US and clear POE and you pick them up a day later?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by NatashaB
It's a tough one. You have to accept that travelling like this is not ideal and will be rough on them, and weigh up the disadvantages of that versus the stress of rehoming them. We would probably not have brought our cat if it weren't for the fact he was my stepdaughter's and she would have been heartbroken to leave him behind. Could you not have PetAir board them for a day or so while you fly into the US and clear POE and you pick them up a day later?
I was thinking of having them ship later on but...I feel better if, WE ALL flew out together and.. we were together right til the very end before we catch our flight out. For all I know, and I am aware of the waiting risk, but I may just be quick at POE once there.. I'd feel better my babies we're with me on the flight, I just have to alert the crew as a reminder that they are both in the cargo so they can have the pilot keep an eye out on the temperature.
Its a tricky one this. I wont feel right, leaving the country with them left behind. But I do get the benefits of that, however my thinking is, if they have to endure that flight etc then whats a couple more hours once at arrivals? At least be all worth the while, one time and that's it.
Also, reading others experiences with their dog arriving at airport alright then it gives me some re-assurance. The only thing I haven't seen written is, how long did it take for them to pick up their furry friend. The time delay at POE.. that's my only worry, but not a huge on if..... I am known by staff that my 2 babies are ok on arrival, even if on the tarmac.
Old Oct 4th 2015, 3:44 pm

I thought this might be useful for any dog/pet owners out there who is thinking of relocating their furry friends along with them.
I am flying with BA and fortunately from what I can see on this link, they are not in this list.
I found this during my extensive homework on the internet, about stats on dogs flying international.
I may have missed another google option, to find more info on BA but after like, 7 different searches BA doesn't come up. Not meaning to scaremonger at all, just find this link to be useful info. I didn't even know that there were a pet travel report..

2014 Airline Pet Travel Summary

http://www.petflight.com/pet_travel_reports/116

Last edited by florida12; Oct 4th 2015 at 3:47 pm.