Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal delays - a crisis ?

Passport renewal delays - a crisis ?

Old May 8th 2009, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

TonyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport renewal delays - a crisis ?

Abtran is taking 8+ weeks from the date they charge your credit card to issue your new passport. Note this time is not a promise and you must add mailing time both ends. Additionally Abtran took 2 weeks between receiving my application and charging my card - so 3 MONTHS total?

The problems are:

1. The published processing time on the Embassy website when I submitted the renewal application was 10 days. They recently added a vague 'we have problems' caveat.

2.Neither Abtran nor the Embassy informed me of the huge and indefinite delay so there was no opportunity to make different plans for putting my 85 year old Mother with Alzheimer's in a home and caring for my Dad who is so frail.

3.They offer no alternative temporary passport when you discover this problem.

4. There is no way to contact the Embassy to alert them to the delay problem.

So even if you submit your application in plenty of time - you may have your travel plans destroyed because of the

1.delay

2.lack of warning

3.lack of alternatives offered.

Solutions anyone??
Contacts at the Embassy??
Without prompt resolution this could become a crisis not just a huge avoidable problem for a few(??) of us currently caught in this.
The sad part is my 'old' passport doesn't expire until July - I was just trying to be conscientious and applied for renewal in March(yes, March!) when I thought the work load would be less at Passport Renewal.
No good deed goes unpunished?
Old May 8th 2009, 10:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal delays - a crisis ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=93085
Old May 8th 2009, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'll contact my local consulate in Los Angeles but seriously doubt they will have any leverage/interest. I'll keep this forum informed of any response I get.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyD
Thanks, I'll contact my local consulate in Los Angeles...
I think you missed the point of Ray's post. Contact the user "British Consul". He really does work for the British Consul and has access to stuff you don't. He may be able to cut through the red tape for you.

Ian
Old May 8th 2009, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I think you missed the point of Ray's post. Contact the user "British Consul". He really does work for the British Consul and has access to stuff you don't. He may be able to cut through the red tape for you.

Ian
Already done to Los Angeles, Washington and Florida.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyD
Already done to Los Angeles, Washington and Florida.
But that person is a member of this forum...and he's been very helpful to people in the past.

Then again, it is the weekend and well, you've waited a few weeks already so what's a few more days.