Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IF scenario, baby's passport first time

IF scenario, baby's passport first time

Old May 5th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default IF scenario, baby's passport first time

Hello;

This is a hypothetical question, I 'think' I have seen the answer somewhere on the USA or Canada forum, but...

IF our child was born in the CANADA (I am a UK citizen, baby father a U.S citizen), it will automatically be a Canadian citizen and can therefore apply for a Canadian passport, but for British and American citizenship we would have to do a 'register birth overseas' thing right? and once that's done the we could apply for a UK and USA passport for our child AFTER we have registered the birth overseas.

Hope I did not confuse anyone reading this
Old May 5th 2009, 8:39 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IF scenario, baby's passport first time

As far as I'm aware the registering the birth bit is just something you could do to make it easier to get them a passport and get a British birth certificate for them, it's not mandatory.
Old May 5th 2009, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
As far as I'm aware the registering the birth bit is just something you could do to make it easier to get them a passport and get a British birth certificate for them, it's not mandatory.
For the Brit passport, indeed...worth getting though.

No idea about the US passport.

But is also depends on how the OP got citizenship in the first place, if by decent it makes things trickier than if they were born in the UK etc.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:23 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

To transmit citizenship, the British citizen parent needs to have been born or naturalized in the UK. The US citizen parent needs to have lived in the US for five years or more. Are you married? If not, there may be further requirements.

I believe you can not register the birth of a british citizen born in Canada, you can just directly apply for a British passport.

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Hello;

This is a hypothetical question, I 'think' I have seen the answer somewhere on the USA or Canada forum, but...

IF our child was born in the CANADA (I am a UK citizen, baby father a U.S citizen), it will automatically be a Canadian citizen and can therefore apply for a Canadian passport, but for British and American citizenship we would have to do a 'register birth overseas' thing right? and once that's done the we could apply for a UK and USA passport for our child AFTER we have registered the birth overseas.

Hope I did not confuse anyone reading this
Old May 8th 2009, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All thank you for your replies

I am a born and raised UK citizen now residing in U.S after marrying my U.S citizen hubby who has been here since the age of 3.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Hi All thank you for your replies

I am a born and raised UK citizen now residing in U.S after marrying my U.S citizen hubby who has been here since the age of 3.
So UK citz through you, US through the father, and Canadian from being born in Canada. How are you going to get into Canada?
Old May 9th 2009, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
So UK citz through you, US through the father, and Canadian from being born in Canada. How are you going to get into Canada?
its not a question on getting into Canada. its a question about baby's passport
Old May 9th 2009, 1:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I meant more, would you be living there or what; I thought you all were living here. Don't worry, not prying into your plans.