Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co

Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co

Old Feb 21st 2017, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co

JG. If you're going to pile on, remember that it should be one rule for all and not selective like it is now!

If that's how you see me, then it's a good job that I'm going. Looks like the forum will be better off for it.

Oh, and for the record, I've only ever tried to be honest and straightforward. To the best of my knowledge, I have NEVER been caustic or uncalled for on purpose.
Old Feb 21st 2017, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co

Originally Posted by Guindalf
JG. If you're going to pile on, remember that it should be one rule for all and not selective like it is now!

If that's how you see me, then it's a good job that I'm going. Looks like the forum will be better off for it.

Oh, and for the record, I've only ever tried to be honest and straightforward. To the best of my knowledge, I have NEVER been caustic or uncalled for on purpose.
You give as good as you get...like many of us do. You also give out good information/advice...like many others. Stick around...I would miss seeing your ugly green face if you left us.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

jalby1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I haven't been offended by anyone's comments or opinions it is better for me to have mixed views.

Yes in Chicago you might go one place and a Pepper is $4 but you can go 10mins down the road to the mexican supermarket and it is $1 Cigarettes vary from $5-$15 they are going to show me all the cheapest shops.

Also so assuming I get taxed 35% I know it will be less anyway as I'm not in that bracket = $3114

A serviced apartment all bills included is $1275+ so say $1400

Healthcare and Dental $181

Phone bill (company pay for)

Car I get a rental car for work which I can use sometimes for free

Flights I get one flight a year return paid for me and I can claim tax back on extra flights if I pass the London Office

Subway $100

This will leave me after with at least $1433 for food, toiletries, social activities and flights. I fail to believe that this is not enough for a single person to live on?

I think the first few weeks may be harder, but once I learn the right shops to go to (which I'll be shown)
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:13 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jalby1992
Hi All,

Also so assuming I get taxed 35% I know it will be less anyway as I'm not in that bracket = $3114
Not in what bracket? As a single person with no children you will have proportionately the highest tax deduction possible from your salary. There are allowances for each dependent. So the person sitting at the desk next to you who is married and has three children will be paying less than you in taxes even if you are earning the same gross salary.

Then there is 401k. They will be deducting from you each month for that too.

Cigarettes for $5 a pack? You know what's going on there when the cost is less than the tax on a regular, legal pack.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Not in what bracket? ....
IMO 35% is a good high estimate of taxes and compulsory deductions. My deductions are about 35% including my 401k, though I have mortgage interest to deduct, as well as a dependent child.
.... Cigarettes for $5 a pack? You know what's going on there when the cost is less than the tax on a regular, legal pack.
They may come from an Indian reservation and/or be excluded from the settlement a few years ago with "big tobacco". In recent years there have been numerous start-up cigarette manufacturers which can legitimately exploit one or both loopholes to significantly undercut the the price of the main big-brand cigarettes.

That said, the OP might want to think about quitting, in my experience far fewer people smoke here in the US, especially in non-industial/ non-manual occupations and wandering off for a cig-break is much less common than it was even when I arrived 14 years ago.

It is also possible, if not likely, that smoking will cost you more for your health insurance - many employers now provide cash rebates for employees who have healthier lifestyles, specifically including not smoking, not drinking excessively, keeping their weight under control, and having an annual physical check-up.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 22nd 2017 at 2:57 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not in what bracket? As a single person with no children you will have proportionately the highest tax deduction possible from your salary. There are allowances for each dependent. So the person sitting at the desk next to you who is married and has three children will be paying less than you in taxes even if you are earning the same gross salary.

Cigarettes for $5 a pack? You know what's going on there when the cost is less than the tax on a regular, legal pack.
401K is not mandatory. It can help offset tax liability by placing you in a different tax bracket or in some now rarer cases be employer contributed to as well but for someone who is only going to be in the US for 1 to 5 years, they might not want to participate in this program.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:42 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about Illinois but here in Washington state you have to a tribal member to buy the cigarettes without tax and buying that way for re-sale is not permitted.

But I don't even smoke so it doesn't bother me. They can be $100 a pack as far as I'm concerned.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is also possihle, if not likely, that smoking will cost you more for your health insurance - many employers now provide cash rebates for employees who have healthier lifestyles, specifically including not smoking, not drinking excessively, and keeping their weight under control.
Certainly valid for my insurer. I believe if caught lying about not smoking they will charge for the prior months.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
IMO 35% is a good high estimate of taxes and compulsory deductions. My deductions are about 35% including my 401k, though I have mortgage interest to deduct, as well as a dependent child.
Illionois income tax for someone earning $50 is just over 35%

https://smartasset.com/taxes/illinoi...tor#ODcei7YScp

rent looks like it's $900 + for 1 bed, but I don't know good or bad areas. Plus bills.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

You will probably want to get renters insurance.10$ / month
Internet and TV starts from $50 for basic internet , up to $200 if you want medium TV package/internet deal.
If you do ever have to buy a car, insurance in the US is expensive.Car payments and insurance can easily get to be $1000 a month.

It's quite easy to rack up medical/dental expenses , especially if you have a high deductible plan. It costs me around $300 to see a doctor until my deductible is met. This may vary by region.

I'm sure you will be OK, people tend to manage on what they have.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about Illinois but here in Washington state you have to a tribal member to buy the cigarettes without tax and buying that way for re-sale is not permitted.

But I don't even smoke so it doesn't bother me. They can be $100 a pack as far as I'm concerned.
Didn't that guy in New York get killed for selling illegal cigarettes?

New York man dies after chokehold by police - CNN.com

if you're honest you may want to pay the use tax on unstamped cigarettes.

Form RC-44, Cigarette Use Tax Return, is filed as needed, on a per-purchase basis, to pay tax on unstamped cigarettes purchased from a seller and is due within 30 days of the purchase.

http://tax.illinois.gov/Businesses/T.../cigarette.htm

I doubt if anyone pays this, same as in Washington when people buy cigarettes in Oregon.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 22nd 2017 at 4:16 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

No 401k for a year. Oh...a bit dodgy then sounds like. Yes I have no dependents my college who geta 36.5% tax is married but earns a hell of a lot more
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
Didn't that guy in New York get killed for selling illegal cigarettes?

New York man dies after chokehold by police - CNN.com

if you're honest you may want to pay the use tax on unstamped cigarettes.

Form RC-44, Cigarette Use Tax Return, is filed as needed, on a per-purchase basis, to pay tax on unstamped cigarettes purchased from a seller and is due within 30 days of the purchase.

Cigarette & Cigarette Use Taxes

I doubt if anyone pays this, same as in Washington when people buy cigarettes in Oregon.
Thanks I didn't know what I am going to be so honest more than ever in my life. I have watched to many programmes and films about what happens in American Prisons and Cells! But I don't intend on smoking anyway just an example
Old Feb 28th 2017, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Visa paperwork from my employer is being sent in 10 days
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lorneo1067 is an unknown quantity at this point

How did visa go mate? I'm in similar situation
Old Mar 5th 2017, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Embassy appointment on 23rd march trying to get an earlier appointment. Will let you all know how it goes. I got cut off on the phone whilst disclosing convictions only disclosed drink driving which they said isnt a problem...eventually. None of the paperwork has asked me to disclose all convictions. Just a tick box if I have ever been arrested or not.

But the lawyers I expect will want to see my ACRO certificate and then tell my employer. Hopefully they will be okay with it. One last hurdle before the embassy.

Will let you all know the outcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.