British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/off-topic-posts-removed-job-offer-life-time-but-i-have-co-891867/)

tom169 Feb 20th 2017 3:10 am

Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co

As you havent visited I suggest you do some research into the cost of living.

With the job expect to take home about 65% of the cash after taxes and other deductions.

Check how much properties are listed for rent at, utilities etc.

Who knows... The pay could be good by UK standards, but suck locally!

jalby1992 Feb 20th 2017 3:20 am

Re: Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have convictions

Thanks yes I have already done that and done the tax calculator, on paper seems amazing money but really not much better off than in the UK well quite a lot but because I have to pay my own accomodation I've allowed $1400 including bills a month for it which gets me an apartment the size of my house. They have great healthcare and dental 80% contribution €181 per month. Transport to work is 150 a month but I will be a walking distance of work phone bill is $150 a month but work pay for it after 2 months. Then after the above I have $2000 a month after tax for anything else. I made it clear to them I didn't want to be scraping the barrell each month and I wanted money left over to pay for flights home and for friends and family to visit. I also get 35 days holiday including public holidays. I plan to come back to england for 14 days every 6 months. Fly a friend or family member out 2-3 times a year so shouldn't get to home sick. That take home pay excludes quarterly bonuses which I should hopefully get one and after 3 and 6 months I get a pay review

jalby1992 Feb 20th 2017 3:22 am

*$181 per month....interesting though you say 65% take home think some of the calculators were saying 75% anyone know of a reliable tax calculator for Chicago? Or what take home on $57500 a year would be a month?

tom169 Feb 20th 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by jalby1992 (Post 12184355)
*$181 per month....interesting though you say 65% take home think some of the calculators were saying 75% anyone know of a reliable tax calculator for Chicago? Or what take home on $57500 a year would be a month?

Did the 75% factor in 401-K, IRA, HSA or any other voluntary (but definitely should) deductions?

jalby1992 Feb 20th 2017 3:31 am

Will double check! Thanks

tom169 Feb 20th 2017 3:31 am

Not sure where you're looking at for phone bill at $150. I pay $43 x 2 for me and my wife.

Twinkle0927 Feb 20th 2017 4:37 am

Re: Off topic posts removed from Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have co

$1400 including utilities for an apartment in Chicago the size of a house? Which part of Chicago is this?!?! Have you considered what your heating bill alone would be in the winter? Chicago gets a lot colder than the U.K. Considering $1400 included heat there's not much left for rent in that figure so the place must be tiny or in a less than desirable area.

Walking to work? So is the apartment in downtown Chicago? I theoretically live walking distance from my office but there are no pavements, no streetlights and it would involve crossing an interstate. Plus it snows a lot. This country is not designed for people who walk.

jalby1992 Feb 20th 2017 6:21 am

Hi the size of my house, I live just out of London my bedroom is 8x6ft my kitchen alot smaller and my shower room is like a closet so the size of my entire downstairs the point is alot bigger than what im used to they call it a studio apartment over there. Maybe tiny to Americans or people from outside South East England but to me its more than enough. Thanks I will make sure heating included is priority they are going to show me the safe neighbour hoods. Cool well I have included $150 for the subway travel and I'll look into walking routes if I am buying something based on walking location. Thanks Tom I will shop around further I only looked at AT&T so far

Guindalf Feb 20th 2017 1:13 pm

You say this is a 'job of a lifetime' and then you state an income of $57,500. For Chi-town, that's probably not much above poverty level and certainly not enough to earn that title!

jalby1992 Feb 20th 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12184713)
You say this is a 'job of a lifetime' and then you state an income of $57,500. For Chi-town, that's probably not much above poverty level and certainly not enough to earn that title!

Calculator shows $3622.16 take home a month. Www.goodcalculators.com/us-salary-tax-calculator

Money isnt the main reason but obviously I need enough to live comfortably

celticgrid Feb 20th 2017 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jalby1992 (Post 12184755)
Calculator shows $3622.16 take home a month. Www.goodcalculators.com/us-salary-tax-calculator

You seem to be still working on around 75%. Stick to around 65% that has been recommended as it will be nearer the truth in terms of take home rather than simply focusing on tax deductions.

Pulaski Feb 20th 2017 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by jalby1992 (Post 12184755)
Calculator shows $3622.16 take home a month. .....

I'll be surprised if you find somewhere safe to live in Chicago for less than half of your net pay. Then take out food and household consumables @$250/mth, and a vehicle @ say $250/mth finance, $250/mth fuel and maintenance, and $150+/mth insurance, and then money for vacations and/or return flights to the UK, and you may soon find that you have little left for fun and entertainment. :(

For $1,400 you may find something that is walkable and affordable, but probably not in the best area, and I suspect that you might not be able to find somewhere in Chicago that is safe, walkable and affordable.

Rete Feb 20th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12184713)

Why not be factual for a change. $57,500 is no where near the poverty guidelines for a single person. In fact it is probably 3-1/2 times over it.

A job of a lifetime need not be a high paying position. The job of a lifetime could be the opportunity to live and work in a foreign country. It could be the opportunity to work in a department or field that is a bit different than what you normally have done but are looking to try.

Not everything is about MONEY. $57,500 is enough for a single person to live on in NYC and I assume in Chicago. Studio apartments can be quite large and enough for a single person to call home. A single person's needs are not anywhere near the needs of a family man/woman. Food costs around $75 a week; cable with phone and internet around $125 a month; no car means no car insurance costs or maintenance or gas bills; utilities for electric and perhaps gas around $100 a month. Most apartments in apartment buildings include the cost of heating in the rent and is not a separate charge. A/C might be separate and raise the electric bill during summer months but then that is only 4 months out of 12.

It is not justifiable to equate your style of living to be the end all way of life. Each person has their own needs and we can see by the OP that his needs are not anywhere what you or even I require to live.

Pulaski Feb 20th 2017 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12184960)
Why not be factual for a change. $57,500 is no where near the poverty guidelines for a single person. In fact it is probably 3-1/2 times over it.

A job of a lifetime need not be a high paying position. The job of a lifetime could be the opportunity to live and work in a foreign country. It could be the opportunity to work in a department or field that is a bit different than what you normally have done but are looking to try.

Not everything is about MONEY. $57,500 is enough for a single person to live on in NYC and I assume in Chicago. Studio apartments can be quite large and enough for a single person to call home. A single person's needs are not anywhere near the needs of a family man/woman. Food costs around $75 a week; cable with phone and internet around $125 a month; no car means no car insurance costs or maintenance or gas bills; utilities for electric and perhaps gas around $100 a month. Most apartments in apartment buildings include the cost of heating in the rent and is not a separate charge. A/C might be separate and raise the electric bill during summer months but then that is only 4 months out of 12.

It is not justifiable to equate your style of living to be the end all way of life. Each person has their own needs and we can see by the OP that his needs are not anywhere what you or even I require to live.

As has been mentioned before, there is a huge difference between scrimping and making do in your home country and moving 3,000+ miles to scrimp and make do in a country that is unfamiliar to you, without friends and family to help out with secondhand furniture and a truck to move it, etc. and with a social network of friends and contacts.

Rete Feb 20th 2017 11:47 pm

I'm not out to change anyone's opinion on lifestyles. I am not narcissist and don't feel that everyone has to live as I do, think as I do, or behave as I do. I can understand the OP and offer him support in living in the US on $57,500 in the Chicago area. Personally, I feel that it is more than enough for him to live comfortably. No area is crime free when you live in a large metropolitan city. He can find a place in an area that is not in a gang area or a section 8 apartment complex, I'm sure.