Norwich

Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norwich

Originally Posted by robin1234
What - you don't believe in recycling?
Sure, but its not plastic and newspaper they are eating. Wont eat them for the same reason I wont eat the fish caught in my local river, they have a nasty habit of retaining all the toxic crap in the water. The crabs on the wirral where I was raised were alarmingly radioactive...

Last edited by iaink; Apr 13th 2012 at 3:04 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:40 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Parents lived in Norfolk for several years and really liked it - there are some beautiful villages (and a wide variety so something to suit most tastes), lovely beaches, plus access to great shopping in Norwich. House prices very reasonable when you consider the proximity to London - maybe that's why some areas have a lot of second home owners from London
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daisycutter
Many thanks for all replies ... amazing all seem v positive ,definitely a place we would consider ... now need to look at some schools ....
A lot depends on the area you will be looking at, but here are a few of the bigger and better schools for starters.

The Hewitt http://www.hewett.org.uk/

Norwich School - http://www.norwich-school.org.uk/

Thorpe St Andrew http://www.thorpe-st-andrewhigh.co.uk/
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
A lot depends on the area you will be looking at, but here are a few of the bigger and better schools for starters.

The Hewitt http://www.hewett.org.uk/

Norwich School - http://www.norwich-school.org.uk/

Thorpe St Andrew http://www.thorpe-st-andrewhigh.co.uk/
I am gonna have to disagree on the Hewlett its rough as hell, gets good grades but nasty place.

Not being biased but Thorpe St Andrews is a beautiful school great location.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Norfolk is a nice county, Norwich is a good city in comparison with a number of others, very good variety of shops and, of course the coastline is great.

My one reservation is the location. It is NOT close to London, 1 hr 45 minutes on a train is not near, it is a 3 hour drive to Heathrow/Gatwick; there are no dual carriageways for any great distance between Norwich and Ipswich and as a result takes an age to get there.

Good luck with your decisions,

Helen
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:08 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HPJOS
Norfolk is a nice county, Norwich is a good city in comparison with a number of others, very good variety of shops and, of course the coastline is great.

My one reservation is the location. It is NOT close to London, 1 hr 45 minutes on a train is not near, it is a 3 hour drive to Heathrow/Gatwick; there are no dual carriageways for any great distance between Norwich and Ipswich and as a result takes an age to get there.

Good luck with your decisions,

Helen
Lol and I hope it stays that way, that's why it has not been spoilt
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Me too!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

That was my take too.

In Canadian terms 1h45 mins is just arround the corner. Its a bit of a pain for a day trip, but Im sure there are people in the UK with commutes that long into the city.

Having said that when I lived in Norwich I didnt know anyone doing a regular london commute, just the occasional weekend trip.

Norwich is the wrong side of London for easy access to heathrow or gatwick if that matters at all, But I flew Norwich to Amsterdam and on a few times which was pretty convenient.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:38 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HPJOS

Plenty of folks commute from York to London and that's around the same time on the train, plus plenty of flights from Stansted which at least 90% dual carriageway from Norwich.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by cxx
Plenty of folks commute from York to London and that's around the same time on the train, plus plenty of flights from Stansted which at least 90% dual carriageway from Norwich.
How many of them would choose to do that commute though I wonder, given a decent alternative.

York to London everyday...thats nuts... isnt it?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:33 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
How many of them would choose to do that commute though I wonder, given a decent alternative.

York to London everyday...thats nuts... isnt it?
Agree, however those I spoke to said it was a better quality of life - they could get much nicer houses, have access to the Dales, etc. and usually got a seat on the train so they could work.
They left home around 6am and got back around 7pm so not that much different to the more local commuters.
They also talked about the local commuter trains out of London that stopped at every station meaning the journey took almost as long.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:18 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point

How old are the children!
Hi my son is 14 and daughter 11 .. both at single sex schools here in Auckland but we would definitely look at mixed ,....
Old Apr 14th 2012, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by iaink
That was my take too.

In Canadian terms 1h45 mins is just arround the corner. Its a bit of a pain for a day trip, but Im sure there are people in the UK with commutes that long into the city.

Having said that when I lived in Norwich I didnt know anyone doing a regular london commute, just the occasional weekend trip.

Norwich is the wrong side of London for easy access to heathrow or gatwick if that matters at all, But I flew Norwich to Amsterdam and on a few times which was pretty convenient.
I agree why would you be interested in working in London and look at East Anglia......the whole beauty of Norwich is that it's not close to London and the rat race it's a plus not a minus.......Yes Holland is great 25 mins from take off to landing
Old Apr 14th 2012, 1:26 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I could just eat a nice Cromer crab
Ah yes, I remember well catching crabs on the Broads.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by daisycutter
Hi my son is 14 and daughter 11 .. both at single sex schools here in Auckland but we would definitely look at mixed ,....
I would suggest these 2 schools http://www.ndhs.org.uk/
http://www.norwich-school.org.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.