Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need advice on how to get out to USA

Need advice on how to get out to USA

Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:01 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need advice on how to get out to USA

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Don't listen to him, it's a trick! Come to Rochester, NY... We're like the caribbean compared to Erie! Especially in winter.
Shhhhhh!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 10:41 am
Just Joined

michelle45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks every one for the advice we looked in to Australia before but it is a very long way away from the UK for people to visit! Would like to be able to go some where and experience a different way of life for a few years with a view to staying full time.
Will be going to Orlando in May for holiday (for the third time).
May be we will have to save up and just get a holiday home there!!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle45
May be we will have to save up and just get a holiday home there!!
Not a bad time to buy property in Florida, and plenty of people rent them out when they are not there. It's not actually that daft an idea if you have the money
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Not a bad time to buy property in Florida, and plenty of people rent them out when they are not there. It's not actually that daft an idea if you have the money

Really .... Brit owned homes are being repoed ..tourism and house renting is way down..certainly plenty of houses available
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Really .... Brit owned homes are being repoed ..tourism and house renting is way down..certainly plenty of houses available
Just thinking the prices are going to be pretty competitive to what they were as little as 3 or 4 years ago.

I'd prefer to buy a house in a down market than to wait for prices to double and buy one after it upturns, if you have the money of course.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking the prices are going to be pretty competitive to what they were as little as 3 or 4 years ago.

I'd prefer to buy a house in a down market than to wait for prices to double and buy one after it upturns, if you have the money of course.
Trouble is the mugs believe salesman that they will be able rent it out as well ... ..
which they could 10 years ago ..before they built another 30k for the same purpose
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I just cannot think of any reason why anybody would want to move to a tourist town...
Its a town of high crime ...low wages and traffic noise
and hookers walking the streets. funny u forgot to mention them??
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:31 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Deedee13
and hookers walking the streets. funny u forgot to mention them??
Not as many as Las vegas ...
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

I got back from Florida (Fort Myers Beach) a couple of weeks back. While the weather was great, I could NEVER live there. I found all the tourists and old people intolerable! And old people and tourists on the road are a) lethal and b) incredibly slow. Took an age to get anywhere.

And holy crap, the supermarkets were expensive. I assume due to catering to tourists they don't worry too much about prices.

EDIT: Though in fairness, probably anything is better than Basingstoke... I worked in Chineham for 18-months... never again.

Wow, small world...I also worked in Chineham Park from 2000 to 2002 for G-Xing.

I hated Florida when we drove down there, most disrespectful drivers ever. (Same as anywhere else I suppose) lol.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:07 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I just cannot think of any reason why anybody would want to move to a tourist town...
Its a town of high crime ...low wages and traffic noise
Jeez, what are the ammo prices like down there?

sounds like there's the potential to go throught a few cases - you get a state discount?