Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need advice on how to get out to USA

Need advice on how to get out to USA

Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

michelle45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on how to get out to USA

Hi I wonder if anyone can help with information. My husband and I would like to relocate to Orlando Florida with are Twin girls who are 6.
Need to know how we can get out there and what is the easiest way.
My husband is a qualified ACCA accountant. He does not have a degree. Is the best thing to geta degree? Can you get a job with an american company before leaving the UK? If so would they be able to sponsor you to get the Visa?
It seems that the Visa is the hardest thing to get.
If anyone has any info or any websites that will be help full to look at it would be very grateful.

Please help want to move to the sunshine
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on how to get out to USA

Hi,

The best thing for him to do would be to get a job with an international company that has offices in the UK and US and work for them for a couple of years, work his way up and get to a position where they would be willing to transfer him over. The L1 transfer visa does not require a degree but knowledge of company product etc.
Not an ideal time to be looking for a job (either in the UK or the US) or a transfer but make it a long term plan and do lots of research.
You are so right - the visa is very hard to get, I've been trying for over three years (with initially 6 job offers), two attempts at the H1b lottery and now an L1b.
Unless you are headhunted or have an amazing opportunity fall in your lap, then it's an uphill struggle but I'm getting there so it is possible but I don't have a family to consider.
Good luck.
PS Living in the US is expensive, health care, the myriad of taxes etc.. and there are lots of sunny places other than Orlando.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:10 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle45
try Australia
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:11 pm
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Hi,

and there are lots of sunny places other than Orlando.

Erie PA is nice this time of the year
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I wonder if anyone can help with information. My husband and I would like to relocate to Orlando Florida with are Twin girls who are 6.
My husband is a qualified ACCA accountant. He does not have a degree. Is the best thing to geta degree? Can you get a job with an american company before leaving the UK? If so would they be able to sponsor you to get the Visa?
If anyone has any info or any websites that will be help full to look at it would be very grateful.

Personally, I think moving because you want better weather is an unrealistic reason to emigrate, taking account of the global recession.

Read this BE Wiki article first about possible options to move to the USA:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

I would also advise you to search and read threads and posts in this and the Trailer Park about hot topics such as health insurance and education (K-12) in the US.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:42 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no "easy" way. Given the info you've given us, the advice you've been given about working for a US-based company that can relocate him after a year or two is probably your only real choice.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look at another country...accounts work is a bit different here...and errr...ten a penny, so unless he's got niche skills or company knowledge it'll be a hard sell and without a degree, without a company transfer he'll need 12 years experience, even then qualifications might mean nothing over here depending on the state.

And with school age kids, I think it would be crazy to move to Florida, because generally the school system there, with a few exceptions, is pretty shit.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:10 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Yep, agreed.

I have a friend who worked high up in Accounts for a UK company at the US office. He got his Green Card and after a while took a buy out. He had a degree and was a Chartered Accountant (UK) not a CPA.

When he was applying for accounts jobs, a couple declined him interviews because his degree was NOT accounting (despite being a Chartered Accountant). That said, he did find work because some people understood what a Chartered one was and I believe he his close to becoming a CPA.

Even at my place some of the accounts people have BA's in Accounting yet the work is so elementary. Over-Qualified but that's they way it is. Sorry.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Erie PA is nice this time of the year
Don't listen to him, it's a trick! Come to Rochester, NY... We're like the caribbean compared to Erie! Especially in winter.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I wonder if anyone can help with information. My husband and I would like to relocate to Orlando Florida with are Twin girls
I just cannot think of any reason why anybody would want to move to a tourist town...
Its a town of high crime ...low wages and traffic noise
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Well, that's me sold!!! The high crime got my attention, but it was the traffic noise that was the icing on the cake.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I just cannot think of any reason why anybody would want to move to a tourist town...
In the middle of nowhere, and far from the beach!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
In the middle of nowhere, and far from the beach!
This place is getting better and better... I'm starting to understand why all these Brits want to move there.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I got back from Florida (Fort Myers Beach) a couple of weeks back. While the weather was great, I could NEVER live there. I found all the tourists and old people intolerable! And old people and tourists on the road are a) lethal and b) incredibly slow. Took an age to get anywhere.

And holy crap, the supermarkets were expensive. I assume due to catering to tourists they don't worry too much about prices.

EDIT: Though in fairness, probably anything is better than Basingstoke... I worked in Chineham for 18-months... never again.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Finch2 has a brilliant futureFinch2 has a brilliant futureFinch2 has a brilliant futureFinch2 has a brilliant futureFinch2 has a brilliant futureFinch2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Hi,

The best thing for him to do would be to get a job with an international company that has offices in the UK and US and work for them for a couple of years, work his way up and get to a position where they would be willing to transfer him over. The L1 transfer visa does not require a degree but knowledge of company product etc.
Not an ideal time to be looking for a job (either in the UK or the US) or a transfer but make it a long term plan and do lots of research.
You are so right - the visa is very hard to get, I've been trying for over three years (with initially 6 job offers), two attempts at the H1b lottery and now an L1b.
Unless you are headhunted or have an amazing opportunity fall in your lap, then it's an uphill struggle but I'm getting there so it is possible but I don't have a family to consider.
Good luck.
PS Living in the US is expensive, health care, the myriad of taxes etc.. and there are lots of sunny places other than Orlando.
What happened with your 6 job offers if you don't mind me asking ? And what do you do for a living ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.