Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to oklahoma

moving to oklahoma

Old May 29th 2009, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

mkiernan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile moving to oklahoma

hello to everyone this web site has given me some good info. Now im hoping that i can get some info or advice on where to go next. i married an american girl last year in oklahoma and we moved back to the uk. our intensions have always been to return to the usa to live. i spoke to a attorney in the uk who said he could have my green card in my hand within three months as i married in the usa and that my wife has not been in the uk for more than two years. Is this true or are they just after my money. I am a plumber/gas engineer and solar heating and solar hot water installer and have all my certificates in this field. Can i please get some advice on the steps i need to take and what best route i should take to make things run as smooth as it can. We have just filled out my i 130 and its ready to go to london.
Old May 29th 2009, 5:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to oklahoma

Originally Posted by mkiernan
hello to everyone this web site has given me some good info. Now im hoping that i can get some info or advice on where to go next. i married an american girl last year in oklahoma and we moved back to the uk. our intensions have always been to return to the usa to live. i spoke to a attorney in the uk who said he could have my green card in my hand within three months as i married in the usa and that my wife has not been in the uk for more than two years. Is this true or are they just after my money. I am a plumber/gas engineer and solar heating and solar hot water installer and have all my certificates in this field. Can i please get some advice on the steps i need to take and what best route i should take to make things run as smooth as it can. We have just filled out my i 130 and its ready to go to london.
Lies, lies I tell you!

you are not going to have a green card in 3 months. Not only that, but your wife may or may not qualify to file in London; you should be prepared to reboot if they return her petition. The 2 links in my signature are specifically for you.

Your work history/quals will not make a difference for your visa application, but your wife's US income will--does she have any?

I'm going to request your thread be moved to the correct forum.
Old May 29th 2009, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

thats what i thought, my wife does not work and does not show any income in the usa. however showing money in the bank is not a problem. and for my sponser i am going to use my mother in law. i think they are just after my money to process it and fill out the forms and then its a further $355 for the form to be processed at the embassy then $500 for the medical exam and interview. any help in this matter will be appreciated.
Old May 29th 2009, 6:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thats what i thought, my wife does not work and does not show any income in the usa. however showing money in the bank is not a problem. and for my sponser i am going to use my mother in law. i think they are just after my money to process it and fill out the forms and then its a further $355 for the form to be processed at the embassy then $500 for the medical exam and interview. any help in this matter will be appreciated.
The process is fairly straightforward, and you already know you should try filing the I-130 via DCF to London first. If it gets returned, then file it in the USA.

If you manage to file it to London, the process takes about 4 - 6 months for your Immigrant Visa. If you file in the USA, the process takes about 8 - 10 months.

Once you have the Immigrant Visa in hand, you have 6 months to use it. Once you enter the USA using that visa, you become a US Permanent Resident, and you receive your "green card" at the POE. The actual plastic green card comes in the mail to your US address a few weeks later.

Yes, it's $355 to file the I-130. Yes, the medical exam is a separate charge and payable to the doctor.

Make sure the "money in the bank" translates to 3x what you would have needed in income. Of course if you have a joint sponsor (your mother in law), that's good, too. Make sure she earns enough for her own family size plus you. Take a look at the I-864P for details, found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms.

Rene
Old May 29th 2009, 6:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... and for my sponser i am going to use my mother in law.
Just so you get this right, your wife is your sponsor, whether she qualifies financially or not. Your MIL will be a joint sponsor. She will need to show income sufficient to cover the size of *her* household + you. So, for example, if there is your MIL and your FIL and perhaps another child at home... then that is 3 + 1 (you) = 4 = $27,562.

Ian
Old May 29th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

its good to get responses so fast the information is great. we are going to file the paper work to london first and take it from there as we are not in a mad rush to get to usa we just want the process done with so we can make arrangements. thanks guys this is a big help
Old May 30th 2009, 6:06 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

The medical exam is paid directly to the doctor and the visa fee is paid directly at the embassy when you have your interview. Do not use this attorney!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

no im not going to use them. my wife and i have both filled the forms in and double checked everything, lets hope there is nothing wrong to avoid any delays. Once again thanks for all your advice.