Reload this Page >

Pre-existing, chronic medical condition, Insurance & NY state

Pre-existing, chronic medical condition, Insurance & NY state

Old May 25th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Hayhay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre-existing, chronic medical condition, Insurance & NY state

Hi all,

I'm new here, and hope I am posting in the right place!

My partner and I are probably going to move to New York City next year, due to his job - he is in a managerial position and they are opening an office in NYC, that they want him to transfer to. He will be applying for an L-1 Visa, and I, as his wife, will have to get an L-2 Visa and then apply for an EAD once there (we discussed my not working but I hate that idea! )

Anyway we are probably 90% decided and in favour of this decision - we are young (mid 20s) and currently live in London, but are both New Zealanders (been living here 3 years now). It seems like a great opportunity, and one that not many Kiwis get.

I do have some concerns - my main one is that I have a pre-existing, chronic medical condition. It is well controlled with medication, and it hasn't caused me to be sick in a long time, but I'm concerned about getting medical insurance with it (I will probably be covered by husband's insurance through work until I start working myself, one more thing to check with UK office!)

As said, I don't often actually get sick, but I do see my GP regularly for blood tests, prescriptions, etc.

I just was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this - is it possible to get insurance with a pre-existing condition?

I'm very sorry if this subject has been brought up before - had a good search of the forums but couldn't find anything pertinent to my case!

Thanks so much in advance!
Old May 25th 2009, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-2 Visa

Originally Posted by Hayhay
... is it possible to get insurance with a pre-existing condition?
Yes. It would be less expensive if your husband were able to get medical coverage through his employer's group policy, but if that's not possible you will likely pay major $$ for coverage. Further, you may have to wait for up to one year prior to coverage starting... so be sure to have plenty of medication with you when you arrive in the US (or can get it sent to you).

Oh... welcome to BE!

Ian
Old May 25th 2009, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-2 Visa

Moved to USA for health insurance information replies.

FYI, whatever job you get may not offer benefits or the right kind. I suggest you get your coverage written into your spouse's contract with his employer, or pursue it from that angle.
He needs to get in touch with HR and find out what they offer.

Your options will be state-specific.
Old May 26th 2009, 11:44 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre-existing, chronic medical condition, Insurance & NY state

Ian's response seemed a little frightening to me. If I remember correctly and I may be wrong] getting coverage shouldn't be a problem or that expensive if you can show that you have had continuous coverage under other medical coverage. Coming from the UK, I am pretty sure that the NHS qualifies.

As such, you should be able to get coverage to start immediately, but you may have to pay for it. It is likely if you are transfering with your husband that he works for a larger company, and they typically have coverage with the bigger health care places where most if not all conditions are covered if you can show continued coverage.

Ian is right though, you should have sufficient drugs available to weather you through any problems.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Ian's response seemed a little frightening to me. If I remember correctly and I may be wrong] getting coverage shouldn't be a problem or that expensive if you can show that you have had continuous coverage under other medical coverage. Coming from the UK, I am pretty sure that the NHS qualifies.

As such, you should be able to get coverage to start immediately, but you may have to pay for it. It is likely if you are transfering with your husband that he works for a larger company, and they typically have coverage with the bigger health care places where most if not all conditions are covered if you can show continued coverage.

Ian is right though, you should have sufficient drugs available to weather you through any problems.
It would be great if you could post a link to the support what you've said about the NHS because this has been discussed on here many times and I don't think we've ever been able to get a definite answer.

Edit: I've just received the following info...I hope this helps the OP.

The HIPAA final rule:

http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/P...px?DocId=10270

The rule was changed to specifically include foreign government plans such as the NHS. Also, it specifically says that a a certificate of creditable coverage is NOT required - just some reasonable proof (e.g. national insurance card, letter from doctor, etc.)

Search the document for the word "foreign" for applicable text.

Shorter version - here is a comment from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which specifically mentions that the the law changed to include plans such as the NHS as creditable coverage.

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

FAQs address the fact that a doctor's letter or some such can suffice if a certificate of creditable cover is not available:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

I have gotten this to work with a private insurer, and also for another person, it was accepted by a state high risk pool.

I believe it used to be a problem, but now the law has changed. Sometimes one has to point out the law, as not all insurers are aware of it (the state high risk pool wasn't) - but they were glad to oblige once it was pointed out to them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 26th 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old May 26th 2009, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ian's response should be frightening. It is very common that many people with a pre-existing, chronic condition will not ever be able to buy a private medical insurance policy. I, myself, am one of those people. Insurance companies can, and do, deny medical coverage to those with PEC's all the time.

Hayhay, focus on making sure your husband's company will allow you to be covered under their policy. Often, this will be at an additional cost, but it will be no where near as extravagant as a private policy. There may still be a waiting time til your condition will be covered (it could be up to a year) so take Ian's advice and make sure you have plenty of medication on hand. However, if you have proof of prior continuing medical coverage, such as the NHS, you may be able to waive this waiting period - so definitely ask the HR staff about PEC coverage for a spouse.

Even if you decide to work for another company, you shouldn't have a problem continuing on your husband's policy, if your job doesn't include health insurance (or you decide not to accept your employer's health insurance). But make sure you confirm this with your husband's employer as you don't want to catch yourself w/out health insurance coverage.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It would be great if you could post a link to the support what you've said about the NHS because this has been discussed on here many times and I don't think we've ever been able to get a definite answer.
It definitely counts as creditable coverage. I happened to stumble across something on one of the government websites specifically about national health insurance and creditable coverage. I believe that any national health plan is considered public health plan which is one of the creditable plans. Of course I was looking for something else at the time so kind of glossed over it but I'll see if I can find it as it specifically mentioned the NHS. That being said, it will only be of use if the OP can get a policy that creditable coverage can be used against, a private individual one almost certainly wont and will most likely not cover the condition and anything that the insurance can possibly tie back to it, which can be a lot.

Edit - I found the link that mentions the NHS.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ian's response should be frightening. It is very common that many people with a pre-existing, chronic condition will not ever be able to buy a private medical insurance policy. I, myself, am one of those people. Insurance companies can, and do, deny medical coverage to those with PEC's all the time.

Hayhay, focus on making sure your husband's company will allow you to be covered under their policy. Often, this will be at an additional cost, but it will be no where near as extravagant as a private policy. There may still be a waiting time til your condition will be covered (it could be up to a year) so take Ian's advice and make sure you have plenty of medication on hand. However, if you have proof of prior continuing medical coverage, such as the NHS, you may be able to waive this waiting period - so definitely ask the HR staff about PEC coverage for a spouse.

Even if you decide to work for another company, you shouldn't have a problem continuing on your husband's policy, if your job doesn't include health insurance (or you decide not to accept your employer's health insurance). But make sure you confirm this with your husband's employer as you don't want to catch yourself w/out health insurance coverage.
yep..agreed. Make sure the medical coverage is written into your husband's contract, make sure it includes perscription coverage too.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:38 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Edit: I've just received the following info...I hope this helps the OP.

The HIPAA final rule:

http://www.dol.gov/federalregister/P...px?DocId=10270

The rule was changed to specifically include foreign government plans such as the NHS. Also, it specifically says that a a certificate of creditable coverage is NOT required - just some reasonable proof (e.g. national insurance card, letter from doctor, etc.)

Search the document for the word "foreign" for applicable text.

Shorter version - here is a comment from Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which specifically mentions that the the law changed to include plans such as the NHS as creditable coverage.

http://www.bcbsil.com/PDF/legislative_update_405.pdf

FAQs address the fact that a doctor's letter or some such can suffice if a certificate of creditable cover is not available:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

I have gotten this to work with a private insurer, and also for another person, it was accepted by a state high risk pool.

I believe it used to be a problem, but now the law has changed. Sometimes one has to point out the law, as not all insurers are aware of it (the state high risk pool wasn't) - but they were glad to oblige once it was pointed out to them.
My husband was added to my group health policy so long as I provided a copy of his NHS card with his number on it to show prior continuous coverage. No other questions were ever asked until a routine audit where they asked that his SS# be added to the info. I gave them.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

yeank-eee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayhay
Hi all,

I'm new here, and hope I am posting in the right place!

My partner and I are probably going to move to New York City next year, due to his job - he is in a managerial position and they are opening an office in NYC, that they want him to transfer to. He will be applying for an L-1 Visa, and I, as his wife, will have to get an L-2 Visa and then apply for an EAD once there (we discussed my not working but I hate that idea! )

Anyway we are probably 90% decided and in favour of this decision - we are young (mid 20s) and currently live in London, but are both New Zealanders (been living here 3 years now). It seems like a great opportunity, and one that not many Kiwis get.

I do have some concerns - my main one is that I have a pre-existing, chronic medical condition. It is well controlled with medication, and it hasn't caused me to be sick in a long time, but I'm concerned about getting medical insurance with it (I will probably be covered by husband's insurance through work until I start working myself, one more thing to check with UK office!)

As said, I don't often actually get sick, but I do see my GP regularly for blood tests, prescriptions, etc.

I just was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this - is it possible to get insurance with a pre-existing condition?

I'm very sorry if this subject has been brought up before - had a good search of the forums but couldn't find anything pertinent to my case!

Thanks so much in advance!

i live on long island (just east of NYC), my dad owns an insurance agency.. when you get here.. phone him (or you can from the uk). private message me if you are interested and ill give you his number.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:01 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

me and the kids ( L2's) were simply covered with no questions asked by my husbands group policy. think we pay our contribution at about $250 a month.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is we can't really answer specifically as to your situation because there are far too many variables. As part of the negotiation process, you should request to speak to the HR person in the new firm for information about the health care plan, and possibly even get some contact numbers to get more information about what is and what is covered under that policy.

Your husband will have a 'group' plan from the firm (you'll probably need the name of the insurance company, the type of plan they offer, and the group number). You can then speak to that company and get a definitive (well, more or less) answer before you sign up to move over.

It's not an unreasonable request to make to them if they have an offer--just a phone number to get some more info. I'd urge you to check that out wiki on health insurance for some basic information on how policies work in the US

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

I would have expected that the OP would be covered under the spouses insurance provided by his employer. If this is the case then it will be a group insurance policy and as such the insurers cannt deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.

If this is not the case there are various ways in which an individual can ensure coverage of pre-existing conditions.. this is a useful article

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/14...ref=newssearch

Once you start working you would probably not be obliged to terminate your insurance through your husband. For example my employer offers medical insurance but I am insured through my wifes plicy - the coverage is much better.

Last edited by cpe111; Jun 1st 2009 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpe111
I would have expected that the OP would be covered under the spouses insurance provided by his employer. If this is the case then it will be a group insurance policy and as such the insurers cannt deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.
Yes they can, not permanently but for up to 12 months (18 if you enroll late) if you have had no creditable coverage within the last 63 days. Even then you can only apply the number of days you had the creditable coverage towards the 12-18 months.