Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lived in USA for 3 months, now im depressed.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Probably not, because the Chartered Accountant qualification isn't recognized in the US. They have Certified Public Accountants, so you'd have another set of exams to study for. You might get a three month or two year secondment, but a transfer while not impossible is fairly unlikely. Post qualification you might try to find an employer with transatlantic operations, for example an oil and gas company or pharmaceuticals company and then see if they would transfer you.

Good luck! Despite all the nay-sayers I love it in the US and have no interest in returning to the UK.
My Dad was Cost and Works, my Brother Chartered. Both have worked in the US and could have made it permanent.

Depends.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cain0
Im just saying, that in the UK, everyone has their place and if they try to break out, you get slapped back down.
Yep, that Bernie Ecclestone was really slapped back down to being a trawler man's son wasn't he? Just as well really, or he'd have gone on to control one of the world's biggest sports and be a multi-billionaire. Oh, wait............
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Cain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
You're 20 years old, and as far as I can tell, you've been to two places. Your experience is limited.

Emigrating to the US is one of the more difficult options. Meanwhile, you have a passport with the benefits of both the EU and the Commonwealth; take advantage of it, expand your horizons and see a bit more of the world.

It sounds as if your circle of "friends" at home aren't really friends, and that you've fallen into a rut at home that involves doing things that you don't care for with people whom you don't like. Breaking away from those people is probably your best option; the location where you choose to do that may be secondary.
I feel a kind of relative security in the US because I have some very close friends there who I can stay with and some good friends. I really want to visit some EU countries, but the language barrier could be hard to bare if I go by myself.

I quite fancy Canada, but as I said, I would have to do it totally alone which im not sure im comfortable with.

I don't know about Australia. From what i've heard, the same social attitudes that I hate in the UK also exist there (although I may be mistaken).
Old Jul 17th 2014, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, that Bernie Ecclestone was really slapped back down to being a trawler man's son wasn't he? Just as well really, or he'd have gone on to control one of the world's biggest sports and be a multi-billionaire. Oh, wait............
Social mobility is actually pretty good in the UK.

Again, I think just visiting the US we may not see the divisions and constraints that do exist here.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

I seem to recollect reading a study which showed social mobility in the US as being the lowest of all developed countries?

Certainly would be logical.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I feel a kind of relative security in the US because I have some very close friends there who I can stay with and some good friends. I really want to visit some EU countries, but the language barrier could be hard to bare if I go by myself.

I quite fancy Canada, but as I said, I would have to do it totally alone which im not sure im comfortable with.

I don't know about Australia. From what i've heard, the same social attitudes that I hate in the UK also exist there (although I may be mistaken).
I spent quite a bit of time in the Cayman Islands - they are always looking for accountants specializing in alternative investments and both CA and CPA are welcome. Most then go on to do CFA whilst there. I went there alone and it was a great experience - really sociable and easy place to integrate. I was only there last week on vacation.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Cain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond reputeCain0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Social mobility is actually pretty good in the UK.

Again, I think just visiting the US we may not see the divisions and constraints that do exist here.
Social mobility is hideous in the UK. Its at the same level now as it was in medi-eval times. One of the least socially mobile countries in the west. ****ing class system ruins everything.

Social mobility: the charts that shame Britain | News | theguardian.com

OECD: UK has worse social mobility record than other developed countries | Business | theguardian.com
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

a) A lovely women who I care for dearly that I can marry.
b) An employer who will sponsor me for an H1-B visa.
...or find a lovely woman employer, and marry her ?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:06 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You're 20 years old. At your age, gaining experience beats security, hands down. You have time later to fret about having a predictable life.

Solo travel might do you some good. Get out of your comfort zone, and shake things up a bit. It's easy enough if you are willing to be sociable and take the initiative.

As for learning another language, that's a good thing, and you should welcome the chance if you have it. For example, there are language courses in Spain that you could take while you stay there, with plenty of chances to practice (butcher) the language with native speakers. Forget being embarrassed, just do it (although do try to acquire an accent that is passable enough to be understood by a local.)

I don't know you, of course, but it sounds as if you are stuck in a rut in Manchester, and that you have surrounded yourself with the wrong people. Get away from those people and find new ones who are more to your liking.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Social mobility is hideous in the UK. Its at the same level now as it was in medi-eval times. One of the least socially mobile countries in the west. ****ing class system ruins everything.

Social mobility: the charts that shame Britain | News | theguardian.com

OECD: UK has worse social mobility record than other developed countries | Business | theguardian.com
Frying pan to the fire moving to the US.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:10 pm
Banned

Golden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond repute

That is exactly what was getting me down. Im not depressed because I have some sort of underlying mental condition, in fact, most of the time, even in the UK, I feel completely happy. However, I just absolutely love the freedom you have over there to be whatever you want to be and not be judged for it. Im not trying to say that the UK is an awful awful place. In fact, im glad that I was born there instead of 90% of the rest of the world. Im just saying, that in the UK, everyone has their place and if they try to break out, you get slapped back down. It just totally isn't for me.

Im feeling a lot better today anyways. I have thought up a 7-8 year plan to get over to Raleigh on a permanent basis:
1) Finnish my degree and try to get a work placement in the USA for my work experience gap-year.
2) Work for 3 years in the UK whilst saving up basically every penny that I earn.
3) Go over to the USA and do my masters degree. Then the years work experience in industry at the end of that.
4) In these three years in the USA, hopefully, I will find
a) A lovely women who I care for dearly that I can marry.
b) An employer who will sponsor me for an H1-B visa.

Even if I do not get this, I will have a masters degree from a US university which will make moving to Canada/Australia easier.

What do you think guys??? Any changes that I can make.
No need to explain...People here are just having trouble accepting that you might have a preference for one vastly different culture over another.

Did you experience any childhood traumas that might have caused this?

Some of the responses are the only thing childish about this thread...
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Surprising re: social mobility. I thought I had seen studies suggesting UK was better than US.

Don't have time to look just now.

Not a huge difference though.

America's economic mobility myth - Dec. 9, 2013

My husband got the chance to move from a very humble background in England. That was certainly easier to do in the days of free university tuition, but at least UK still has the student loans that don't have to be paid back until you earn a certain amount.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't. Some people just need to blame the class system for their inability to progress.

My father, who was a miner's son from Lancashire that lived in abject poverty for the first decades of his life, went on to do rather well for himself, earning £250k a year, despite having not a single qualification to his name. And before you say that's not actually that much, he retired in 1985. Being from a lower class background never stopped him, or lots of other people I know.

And vice versa, I know people that went to Eton that are living in council houses and can't make ends meet. Life, hard work and luck has a lot more to do with where you end up than 'class' ever does imo.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Genes, the biggie.

Anyway he can not be that bad off, just spent 3 months partying in the US.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:16 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden Boy
Don't over think this. He knows what he likes and what he doesn't, and we don't have to get our feelings hurt if he doesn't like us..

Its merely a preference

I will say though that Raleigh, North Carolina is a lot friendlier than say, Seattle Washington or Portland Oregon. Those cities are almost every bit as doom and gloomy as the UK.

Its called Southern Charm and the girls in Raleigh were raised to look good, smell good, and cater to their mens every need. In other words: They're great!

"A little Mayberry living could go a long way."
Yes, I agree with you there. Certain places in the US are definitely 'happier' places to be in terms of the people you will meet. But then, the OP could end up in Boston, where it's just full of rude bastards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.