Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Nobody said you need a US passport to leave the US. USCs need a US passport to leave the US legally (i.e. it's the law). This is quite obvious, Rete, I don't know what you're beefing about.

And breaking the law is no 'joke'.

BG36
SuperNerd
That depends how he's entered Canada. If it's by road you don't need to produce anything to leave the US...you don't see or speak to anyone on the US side.

What you show Canadian IOs is of no concern of the US. My daughter enters Canada using her UK PP...because it contains her Canadian student/temp work visa.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:03 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

Nobody said you need a US passport to leave the US. USCs need a US passport to leave the US legally (i.e. it's the law). This is quite obvious, Rete, I don't know what you're beefing about.
You can obtain an Enhanced Driving License in certain northern states, valid for exit and entry by land or sea. Not valid for international flights.

However, it is a way to leave and return legally, and isn't a passport. And is specifically for USCs, i.e. not an option for LPRs.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:43 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
who would have thought a simple question would generate alot of interest.

i am still surprised there was no one else in this predicament...
I was, but I deferred my trip until I got my passport (only took a week). It wasn't urgent travel, so no biggie.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

first post quoted originally

a) I refer you to my first post to this thread.

There are two things you are doing crossing the border....entering one country and exiting another. You have a document that may allow you to enter Canada, but not the correct one to leave the USA.
BG's refutal

Here you go. You did infact say just that. I didn't make it up. US Citizen's do NOT need a US Passport to leave the US. They need a US Passport to re-enter the US as a USC.

Since the OP has a UK Passport the only document that he could not have according to you in order to leave the US correctly is a US Passport. I didn't make it up. It is want was clearly explicit in your post.

First post quoted originally

Of course, the Canadians don't have to let you in....it's not like you've got a Canadian passport. As Bob said, the document you'll be entering on is not in the 'condition' (including I-94) that those of all other UK Citizens trying to get into Canada (from the US) is in.
Refutal
Nobody said he needs an I-94. Again, you're either not reading posts properly, or reading into them something that isn't there. Bob and I were careful with how we worded our posts on this subject.

Since you agreed with Bob you have stated it as well. It is NOT unusual to leave the US without an I-94 and it is certainly NOT unusual to enter Canada and not receive one as well.

Both of you are incorrect as evidenced by the fact that the OP was allowed into Canada. He is going to Canada, not the EU. The rules are different which is something both of you have ignored.

By all means go for it....if we don't hear from you later in the week....well....we'll presume you've got more interesting things on your mind.

The point is that absence of an I-94 in a non-US passport of someone travelling across the border is likely to be unusual, hence possibly giving rise to questions, maybe pointing to the OP's illegal activity.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

PS If the OP is refused entry on his return, then he gets a nice place to stay in Canada and awaits the arrival of his US Passport ordered from the US Consulate. Since it is the company that wanted him there, the company should be paying the costs involved.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:05 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
They need a US Passport to re-enter the US as a USC.
To be strictly accurate...

Unless they enter by land or sea on an EDL. See #47
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
To be strictly accurate...

Unless they enter by land or sea on an EDL. See #47
Is that the NEXUS?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:09 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is that the NEXUS?
No. NEXUS is a pre-clearance which allows you to use express lanes at some border crossings. You still need a valid travel document.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

a) US Citizen's do NOT need a US Passport to leave the US.

b) Both of you are incorrect as evidenced by the fact that the OP was allowed into Canada.
a) You missed out the word 'legally' (which one word changes your statement from true to false, which is why I suspect you aren't including it in your statement). So why have most of the board been of this opinion since before I joined? Have they all been making it up?

b) Quite frankly, one person's entry into a country isn't conclusive evidence of anything.

We'd be going round in circles with this for a long time, plus you've taken the hump.

I suggest we forget about it and see what happens on the re-entry attempt (if the OP comes back to tell us).

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 14th 2009 at 4:52 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He does not need an I-94 to exit the US. I don't know why you and/or Bob think that is the case. My husband leaves the US with his Canadian passport and does not have an I-94. Not a problem.
It's not a necessity no, but someone with a UK passport that doesn't have a US passport would normally have a I-94 and they like to see that you'll head back to the US, that and they do hop across the road to the US side to talk about you.

Canadians don't use the VWP like a Brit would.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
who would have thought a simple question would generate alot of interest.

i am still surprised there was no one else in this predicament...
I think in fact your circumstances are not that common. Most of us if we travel would be going back home or at least somewhere other than a country like Canada which has had more informal travel arrangements with the US than is the normal. In those circumstances most if not all would not travel without a US passport.

The interest is because we are unaware of anyone who has tried to leave and come back using their naturalization certificate and we are curious to see what happens in real life as opposed to what "the book" says should happen. I can't see how CBP can deny entry to a US citizen coming back to their own country, just what the inconveniences might be is what makes it interesting. Anyway hope it isn't too much hassle.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 14th 2009 at 6:55 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think in fact your circumstances are not that common. Most of us if we travel would be going back home or at least somewhere other than a country like Canada which has had more informal travel arrangements with the US than is the normal. In those circumstances most if not all would not travel without a US passport.

The interest is because we are unaware of anyone who has tried to leave and come back using their naturalization certificate and we are curious to see what happens in real life as opposed to what "the book" says should happen. I can't see how CBP can deny entry to a US citizen coming back to their own country, just what the inconveniences might be is what makes it interesting. Anyway hope it isn't too much hassle.
We've had similar discussions before...the general opinion was (if I remember correctly) that a person probably would not incurr a hefty fine but probably would be detained for a hour or so. Like you said I don't think we've had a USC post who has actually entered without the correct PP.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We ran into a similar situation when DH naturalized a couple of years ago. We already had a big Mexico trip booked and the oath got scheduled a week before departure.
At the time, he could still have traveled to Mexico with just the certificate, but it didn't seem like a good idea to drag it around backpacking. We drove 3 hours to the Passport Authority office and got him his US passport and spent the day out of town to accomplish that.

The travel document requirements changed in June of this year, as I posted before. There's been plenty of warning that this was coming and while I agree that the border agent may admit you with the documents you have, you should NOT consider declaring yourself as a UK citizen when you arrive.
Be on the up and up with them about your US citizenship or the consequences could be worse (no, I'm not going to look them up but someone here may know).
Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Until recent years (after 9/11) U. S. citizens departing for or entering from any country in North or South America except Cuba were exempted by regulation from the U. S. passport requirement.

At the present time passports are required for people traveling by air unless it is one of the airports that is set up to handle the NEXUS card. People entering by land or sea can use either the actual passport, the new passport card, or one of a number of "WHTI compliant" documents that include driver licenses from many states:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

As far as the requirement to actually have the document on your person when leaving the country is concerned the only place you are at all likely to be bothered with that is on a commercial flight.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse

He's fitting right in. Next thing you know, he'll have his very own crack house and be running a stable of brasses.

Reg. Frank R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.