Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

mrfoxy76 will become famous soon enough
Default just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

i am wondering how this will play out anyone else had a similar experience?

i am traveling to canada tomorrow for work for 3 days.

i just became a usa citizen a week ago and have my certificate, no usa passport yet.

i am also a citizen of the uk with a passport

when i became a citizen they took away my green card.

i will have to re enter the usa with my uk passport and show them my certificate?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

No you will have to get a US passport before you can travel. Now you are a citizen you may only leave and enter the USA with an American passport.

What will happen if you try your plan I do not have a clue. You can go to a passport office and get a US passport the same day.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

if it is going to be an issue i will just reenter on my uk passport
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
if it is going to be an issue i will just reenter on my uk passport
No! Lansbury has just explained that attempting to reenter on your UK passport is what will cause any issues.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

8 U.S.C. sec. 1185(b).

(b) Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such
limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and
prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United
States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter,
the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

I've not done the crossing into Canada but if you use your UK passport will someone not be looking for the valid I-94 issued when you used it to enter the US. If that is the case will you not start to encounter problems then when you have to explain why you don't have one.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 13th 2009 at 8:38 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

I will let you know how it plays out leaving tomorrow

return, hopefully, wed
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:41 pm

Good start been a citizen a week and breaking the law already
Old Dec 13th 2009, 8:54 pm

return, hopefully, wed
It seems the maximum you can get is 10 years imprisonment if I read the regulations correctly. It will be very interesting to know what in practical terms the actual outcome and problems are.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:11 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the maximum you can get is 10 years imprisonment if I read the regulations correctly. It will be very interesting to know what in practical terms the actual outcome and problems are.
And where the OP ends up posting from
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

return, hopefully, wed
If you're just going to do it anyway I don't understand why you asked.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's all a bit daft when you can get a passport pretty quickly....
Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:41 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

He's fitting right in. Next thing you know, he'll have his very own crack house and be running a stable of brasses.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

return, hopefully, wed
You're an idiot.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the constructive response

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.