Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

I'm from Blackburn. I've lived in Chicago for the past 23 years.

I wouldn't dream of moving back to where I come from. Not a chance.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phodg
I'm from Blackburn. ...... I wouldn't dream of moving back to where I come from. Not a chance.
Well coming from Lancashire, that's hardly surprising!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha !
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I just feel the quality of my life isn't tied to geography.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
The gun culture is an odd thing - I feel entirely unaffected by it. I live in a state that has extremely high levels of gun ownership and very lax gun laws, yet it's one of the least violent states in the country. I feel incredibly safe here.
It's not a gun culture, it's a control culture..."I'm in control here"
Old Jan 16th 2015, 12:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I just feel the quality of my life isn't tied to geography.
Nobody's is, it's tied to circumstance.

For me, right now at this point in time, I could move back to the UK if I wanted. Yeah, I'd be able to eat Wispa Golds until they come out my nostrils and have the best fish suppers and curry chips till the cows come home, but we'd be throwing away about 75% of our income and have to downsize severely to be able to afford a house. Not to mention constant reminders that my mum isn't around anymore.

When I put away the nostalgia for times long gone by, I realise it's just not worth it anymore. Much better to go back every year or so to enjoy the best of both worlds

Originally Posted by jeepster
It's not a gun culture, it's a control culture..."I'm in control here"
It's not even a culture. I could count the number of times I have been directly and negatively affected by the right to carry firearms here on the fingers of the no-handed man.

Being scared of guns in the US is like saying living in Europe means you're in more danger of being caught up in a major war, because most major wars in history have happened there. Ridiculous.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:37 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Wild horses could not drag me back to the UK to live. Do love going back for my annual visit though and that is just enough time to spend with family and friends before the novelty of seeing each other wears off.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
In regard to the OP, like you I'd say it's 50-50 UK-US in terms of life quality, except that the bits that are good here aren't the same as the bits that are/were good there, and vice versa.

My thinking when I eventually made the decision not to pursue this last opportunity, after all of the soul-searching, was (in the immortal words of Danny Glover), "I'm too old for this shit".
I believe the husband & I feel the same way.... Somewhere along the way the dream of the "better life in a better place" starts to fade in intensity, and you begin to dread the process of moving far more than the process of just staying put and getting used to life as it is.

Or maybe you just start to distrust that dream.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have only been here 5 months; but here's my list:

Housing is affordable - I aim to buy a beautiful 3/4 bedroom detached - which I could never afford in the U.K.
I have a driveway (I had to park on the road in the UK, sometimes 100 yards from my house)
Weather (I'm in NC)
I am away from the drinking culture
I feel I have "moved on"
Learning to live in a different culture - life gets more interesting
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

It's great that people are looking out for tortoises and squirrels. I like Pulaski a lot better knowing that! And hey raccoons in the roofspace? My mum had a squirrel in her loft (in Lincolnshire). He sounded like he was wearing hobnail boots too!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
It's great that people are looking out for tortoises and squirrels. I like Pulaski a lot better knowing that! ....
I am one of the most politically confusing people you'll ever come across - generally a right leaning conservative with a libertarian streak, but also with a good awareness of conservation and certain "green" issues. We just about fill our 96 gallon recycling wheelie bin every two weeks with paper, cardboard, plastic and glass*, but don't generate enough rubbish (I believe that about 1/3 of it is used cat litter) to fill the same-sized bin more than once every 3-4 months!

* Steel and aluminum I sell to a local scrap yard.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am one of the most politically confusing people you'll ever come across - generally a right leaning conservative with a libertarian streak, but also with a good awareness of conservation and certain "green" issues. We just about fill our 96 gallon recycling wheelie bin every two weeks with paper, cardboard, plastic and glass*, but don't generate enough rubbish (I believe that about 1/3 of it is used cat litter) to fill the same-sized bin more than once every 3-4 months!

* Steel and aluminum I sell to a local scrap yard.
You are confusing for so many reasons.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You are confusing for so many reasons.
I am not going to argue with you, .... at least not on that point!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am one of the most politically confusing people you'll ever come across -
Some are often misunderstood.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived here for almost 37 years, and enjoying it. I own more property and more acreage than I probably could have in the UK, primarily due to the fact I earned considerably more money than I could in the UK. Now that I am retired, and enjoy gardening, I appreciate having a longer growing season. I don't see me ever moving back to the UK. I did not dislike living in the UK, but I am glad that I had the opportunity to move here, and took it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.