Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:17 pm
  #196  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
You have completely ignored or misunderstood what I said. American companies are providing raw materials or components for products that are made elsewhere. Just because the product doesn't say "Made in the USA" on the packaging, doesn't mean that European consumers aren't buying American products.

..... One example I have some familiarity with is a major US tobacco merchant. They sell tobacco around the world, supplying many European manufacturers of cigarettes with tobaccos from the US, as well as from other countries. So while consumers might be buying Gitanes or other European brands of cigarettes, or even American brands produced locally under licence, the tobacco in them in often from the US.
Yep, that's true - US tobacco companies sell vastly more tobacco abroad than in the US. Agreed.

But you still don't find many US imports on the shelves here. Those that we do have are far more expensive than the European equivalent. And those that aren't are almost always manufactured in Europe, by European manufacturers.

Whereas, you do find many European imports on the shelves in the US, at similar prices to what they are sold for in Europe.

I'm only illustrating that there is a big difference in trade "character", and that Europe is far more protectionist in its trade character, and that is one of Europe's problems. We hate competition. And it shows.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:18 pm
  #197  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Hotscot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,159
Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
ALL manufactured in Europe by European manufacturers, using European-manufactured materials. Otherwise, the import duties would price American products out of the market.
http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_113465.pdf

('hate' is such a strong word.)
Hotscot is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:21 pm
  #198  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
No, it's actually pretty well known, and is discussed openly amongst people here. You may not like my tone, but that's being rather ad-hominem.
No, it wasn't. Ad hominem means to the man/person. Sally didn't say you were bilge, she said the content of your post was. What she did was ad doctrinas.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:21 pm
  #199  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,991
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Yep, that's true - US tobacco companies sell vastly more tobacco abroad than in the US. .....
Are you even reading what I post?

EUROPEAN cigarette brands are made with tobacco from the USA!
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:25 pm
  #200  
BE Forum Addict
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,330
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, let's see, aside from an extremely broad range of liquors, wines, beers, etc... What else? Let's compare:
In general, even this "fact" that you are so sure of, from what seems to be one visit, is simply not true outside the richer parts of the big cities or other areas where many expats live. Where there is a large range, it results from catering to the desires of recent immigrants, not from bringing exotic goods to your average American.

To keep it simple, let's just take the top 50 >German< companies selling German products in the US:

Top 50 German companies operating in US

Now, let's look at American companies in all of Europe selling American goods:
(on a side note, I find it interesting that if you google the term "American Companies in Europe" you get pages of "Best Jobs in Europe" and "Europe's most successful companies")

Anyway, I did a quick google of that, and the results are a bit foggy and convoluted, so I'll offer this:

Biggest S&P 500 Companies With European Exposure And Weak Balance Sheets - In Photos: Biggest U.S. Companies With Large European Exposure - Forbes

You're right, this isn't a like-for like metric, but it does strongly suggest a rather significant difference in trade each direction.

And certainly, it appears that the trade from Europe is heavily consumer-goods oriented (suggesting that European consumer products are indeed more readily available in the US), whilst the trade from the US to Europe is more industrial and B2B.
That's a lot of words, but I'm afraid I don't see how they're relevant. The only obvious conclusion to draw from the two links you provided are that German companies are doing well in the US and US companies are doing poorly in Europe because the US economy is doing better than the European one. How that relates to finding European goods in the US, I'm not sure, especially when you consider that many of those companies would be considered multi-nationals, not German or American, and many of them provide services, not goods.

Another irony of your statements is that you dislike the negative prejudices of the Spanish and German locals but seem perfectly willing to believe their positive prejudices that the USA is a classless society of opportunity and tolerance, even when people who know better explain to you that you are mistaken.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:34 pm
  #201  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post

The US also grows about 80% of the world's almonds, so you can pretty much guarantee that any product with almonds in it has American content, and 10% of the worlds peanuts, which are also often exported to Europe.
Oh almonds! I missed that! I have a directly relevant story about the benefits of American almonds to Almond producers here.

Stay with me, I'll try to be brief...

My neighbour has a huge almond grove. (actually most of Spain is awash with almond groves) I have no idea how large but it's many many hectares, been in the family for generations. But he never harvests them. Over a drink one evening, I asked him why. This is good.

He doesn't harvest them because California Almond producers are so efficient, and produce such high quality products, that the Almond industry here simply can't compete. So...

He gets a subsidy of about €75K per year for not harvesting them, and has since the 70's. He has to do nothing. No equipment, no employees (for which he's have to pay €16 per hour minimum AND support them during the off-season). Life is good. Needless to say, He has nothing but good things to say about California.

Now, you can take that in any way you wish, but I can't help but think "protectionism". Rather then encourage efficiency and productivity, just pay 'em off to avoid competition. That's Europe, folks. And explains a lot about the state of our economy.

I should add that almonds ain't cheap here either. Funny, because we're surrounded by almond groves.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 23rd 2015 at 5:55 pm.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:39 pm
  #202  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,123
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
So your first impression would be that there must be something undesirable about anyone that appears well-off? Even before you have spoken to them? Would you even bother to try, solely because of that impression?
No, it's simply most people are douchebags and I don't like people.

There's nothing really anything deeper than that.

Either way, you're reading to deep into things and you are making wrong assumptions about wrong knowledge and people have told you that you are wrong.

You can either accept that you're wrong, or continue in lala land.
Bob is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:39 pm
  #203  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
No, it wasn't. Ad hominem means to the man/person. Sally didn't say you were bilge, she said the content of your post was. What she did was ad doctrinas.
Well, she is suggesting that my point doesn't exist, but it most certainly does and that's not a debatable point.

but I can understand that she may be more offended by my "tone" which would aspire to dismiss the entire premise on that basis of that perceived "error".
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:41 pm
  #204  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, she is suggesting that my point doesn't exist, but it most certainly does and that's not a debatable point.

but I can understand that she may be more offended by my "tone" which would aspire to dismiss the entire premise on that basis of that perceived "error".
I think to even attempt to suggest that something so subjective as 'a point' doesn't exist would be beyond the esoteric
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:42 pm
  #205  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,123
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post

Except of course, in Bob's case, who say his first impression of anyone who appears to be more prosperous than he would be suspect in some way, which is more of a European mindset.
And no, I didn't say he was probably a douche for being rich. He's probably just a douche because most people are, regardless of wealth.

You have a serious lack of comprehension that it's getting a little tiresome, bordering on a second rate troll :/
Bob is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:46 pm
  #206  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
No, it's simply most people are douchebags and I don't like people.

There's nothing really anything deeper than that.

Either way, you're reading to deep into things and you are making wrong assumptions about wrong knowledge and people have told you that you are wrong.

You can either accept that you're wrong, or continue in lala land.
Well, your view is rather mirroring of the European mindset. Anyone, richer or poorer is likely to be "questionable" in some way, just on that basis alone. And that is class division. It is socially heavily embedded here, as I illustrated earlier. And frankly, people will openly discuss it. It's not a secret.

I suspect you are somewhat unique, however, because we are close friends with quite a few Americans of many different economic classes, and it's quite obvious that they are far less mindful of those distinctions than our European equivalents.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:47 pm
  #207  
I have a comma problem
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 49,598
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Class, wealth or otherwise doesn't come into it. If I see someone that's a person, that's enough to suggest that they're probably a ****.
SultanOfSwing is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:51 pm
  #208  
BE Forum Addict
 
Owen778's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: Anchorage, AK, USA
Posts: 1,330
Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, your view is rather mirroring of the European mindset. Anyone, richer or poorer is likely to be "questionable" in some way, just on that basis alone. And that is class division. It is socially heavily embedded here, as I illustrated earlier. And frankly, people will openly discuss it. It's not a secret.

I suspect you are somewhat unique, however, because we are close friends with quite a few Americans of many different economic classes, and it's quite obvious that they are far less mindful of those distinctions than our European equivalents.
Your post, yet again, replies to a statement that he didn't make. You seem to be making a habit of that.
Owen778 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:53 pm
  #209  
BE Forum Addict
 
markonline1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 2,550
markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
And that's why we're all laughing at you, because there are blatant class separations in the US.

They might not call people upper/middle/working/lower class, but that does not mean that they don't slot everyone into a group just like other countries.
OMG, hell yeah. The Americans would like the world to think there is no class system and that everyone is equal, but certainly in my neck of the woods, there is an air of entitlement with some. Of course, they are nearly always the well off. It's an air of entitlement I never encountered in the UK (although I'm sure it exists). If that isnt a class divide, I don't know what is.
markonline1 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 5:59 pm
  #210  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 19,367
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is your life in the US better than the UK?

Originally Posted by Owen778 View Post
Your post, yet again, replies to a statement that he didn't make. You seem to be making a habit of that.
Again, that's a bit ad-hominem, because you dismiss the entire premise on the basis of his correction of intent.

But the premise is still valid, even if he truly doesn't despise people of another class (although if that's true, why would he mention it in that context?).
amideislas is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.