Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hello, just found this site

Hello, just found this site

Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, just found this site

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
3. crap weather - 57 f this week
having a blinder of a summer though at the mo....
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:48 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I'm in england for three weeks straight after living in the usa for a while

comments:

1. scum/chavs
2. violence (see above)
3. crap weather - 57 f this week
4. nothing to do (for me) sun - weds (and yes, i do have friends in UK)
5. M25
6. No wife
7. Bombs

Note I did not mention cost of housing and not having a car with a huge engine.

What are chavs? I must have been away for too long!!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:03 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
What are chavs? I must have been away for too long!!
http://www.20six.co.uk/pub/RedChic/chav_boardgame.jpg

-
Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:14 am
Banned

Terrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to beholdTerrier is a splendid one to behold

LOL, yeah I must have been away too long we used to call them yobbo's before I left! So it's got worse over there? I know where I grew up there were a lot of yobbos hate to think of their being more. Come to think of it my parents indicated it had got a little worse. They tend not to expand on any bad things going on at home as I think they hope I will come one one day!!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

AmericanNomad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I just wanted to write and tell you that I really empathise with your feelings of coming back to the UK. And hopefully my words will reassure you or give you another perspective in some small way. I am an American living in London for 6 years. It's been an uphill battle for me as my husband is from Italy and have had to really push ourselves into British culture. I know what you mean about the homesickness. When the bombs went off here, all I wanted was the comfort of home too which is Upstate NY. I missed my family (and still do), life as I knew it before this and it got me in the mindframe of 'Life is too short'. HOWEVER--LONDON IS LONDON AND ALWAYS WILL BE. I think it's a love-hate relationship for London. It's one of those places that you will never get out of your blood, especially if it was your home for any period of time, if you know what I mean. But to acknowledge your wife's fears of Anti-American feelings in this area, please hear me when I say I think it is much worse now than even few years ago. Its gone beyond taking the piss and is now getting personal. The ratrace of this place is too much, substandard, expensive housing (even though hubbie makes great money-- we are still in a one bed flat with a baby)--weather is absolute shite mate--and I swear the summers are getting worse each year--and forget about any sense of privacy for yourself and your family--living in the armpits of one another is not a great thing to go back to --AND SHOULD I MENTION THE CRAP EXCHANGE FOR THE DOLLAR TO POUND---try to remember the reality of living here behind all your nostalgia. I often have to do this when I am homesick and I remember why I left in the first place!
ITS NOT EASY BUT DONT GIVE UP! YOU HAVE IT GOOD OVER THERE--even if the people are slightly dull and undiversified!

Keep the house, the garden, the cars, the lifestyle and get your USA citizenship. Come and visit this side of the pond more mate--no wonder the feelings are so strong--you need a good dose of BRIT!

Take care!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:38 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
LOL, yeah I must have been away too long we used to call them yobbo's before I left! So it's got worse over there? I know where I grew up there were a lot of yobbos hate to think of their being more. Come to think of it my parents indicated it had got a little worse. They tend not to expand on any bad things going on at home as I think they hope I will come one one day!!
I'm a Knowle wester....born within the sound of gunfire........well thats a lie...I was born in Southmead hospital...but I was home few days later and then heard the gun fire.......