Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ants in the pants and chased by mosquitoes

Ants in the pants and chased by mosquitoes

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

CKM8 will become famous soon enoughCKM8 will become famous soon enough
Default Ants in the pants and chased by mosquitoes

My wife and I woke up a couple of days ago to find ants in our kitchen and dirty linen basket (a genuine case of ants in your pants . Yesterday we found our living room with a small swarm of mosquito's..does anyone have any tips on removing/preventing these little b****ds? I have tried ant spray and keeping the place ultra clean..but they're back again today...
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:02 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ants in the pants and chased by mosquitoes

Originally Posted by CKM8
My wife and I woke up a couple of days ago to find ants in our kitchen and dirty linen basket (a genuine case of ants in your pants . Yesterday we found our living room with a small swarm of mosquito's..does anyone have any tips on removing/preventing these little b****ds? I have tried ant spray and keeping the place ultra clean..but they're back again today...
I now use something called.....Home Defence Max.....by ORTHO..it does seem to be lasting well......we've had no ants indoors this year .......
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:25 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

A friend once solved an insect problem by accidentally setting the house on fire. As it wasn't actually his house, we were all able to have a really good laugh about it.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

CKM8 will become famous soon enoughCKM8 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by syllk
A friend once solved an insect problem by accidentally setting the house on fire. As it wasn't actually his house, we were all able to have a really good laugh about it.
LOL
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

we have the house perimeter treated every month and it works well - we find some bugs in the house but they are all dead - found a dead scorpion this morning though which wasn't fun!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Go to home depot get a box of insecticide fogger ..put at least 2 in the attic space and one in each room ..not at the same time though ...
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:19 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Go to home depot get a box of insecticide fogger ..put at least 2 in the attic space and one in each room ..not at the same time though ...
Wouldn't that only kill the ones that were in the house at the time, rather than getting rid of the root of the problem (i.e. the nest)?

I know in the UK you can get an ant poison which is a kind of food which they carry back to the nest and it kills off all the little bastards. It worked a treat when I had ants partying on my living room carpet. I assume you can get a similar thing here.

As far as the mosquitoes go, I guess you can only spray them as and when, unless you know where they are breeding. Look out for pools of stagnant water and fill them in if you can.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Wouldn't that only kill the ones that were in the house at the time, rather than getting rid of the root of the problem (i.e. the nest)?
The nest may well be in the house ...
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:45 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The nest may well be in the house ...

We had ants coming in the kitchen, found out when we had some siding replaced last summer, that they had a nest between the siding and the wall underneath where the kitchen sink is!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:48 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong

I know in the UK you can get an ant poison which is a kind of food which they carry back to the nest and it kills off all the little bastards. It worked a treat when I had ants partying on my living room carpet. I assume you can get a similar thing here.

As far as the mosquitoes go, I guess you can only spray them as and when, unless you know where they are breeding. Look out for pools of stagnant water and fill them in if you can.
Thats way I use Home Defence Max...its the gift that goes on killing for months on end.......inside and out......
I've only seen dead ants around the fireplace this year.....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

get the chalk out and trap the ants, and use a magnifying glass on the buggers and just have fun
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:10 am
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Bob
get the chalk out and trap the ants, and use a magnifying glass on the buggers and just have fun
You are mean...........

I think I like you.........
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Your ants will take a few days to disperse after you clean the place up. Longer if you block their access to the nest so that they wander around until they starve. Remember that some species prefer protein to the sweet stuff. (Make of that what you will.) I try and avoid the chemicals.

Mosquitos. Like someone said, you need to find where they're breeding. They like stagnant water, and you can find the larvae floating head down from the water surface. (Or the eggs as grey rafts floating on the water.) Then either get rid of the water or (for ponds) overfill it regularly so all the mosquitos get flushed out. You'll also see recommendations for putting a film of cooking oil on the water surface to suffocate them - it works but it's real messy and ugly. If you can't get rid of the water, you can buy propane-fueled traps. I have no idea if they work or not, but they are expensive.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:03 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

I remember reading somewhere.....about not buying the new traps because they just bring the mozzies onto your land.......where they could give you hell before landing into the trip.......does anyone use them...and are they worth the money.....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 2:13 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live ?

Down in FL we have Sugar Ants, also known as Pharoah Ants. They are minute and they infest kitchens. I have tried all sorts of things and found that "Taro" which I buy in Walgreens is the only thing that stops them. It contains sugar and borax. The ants take it back to the nest as food and the borax kills the queen.

Mosquitos shouldn't get in if you keep the doors and windows closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.