Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future
Default Re: Finally - we have ARRIVED!!

Originally Posted by Burn1911
All this talk of kettles made me think.... am I the only person who has a stove top kettle not a plug in - boils in mins.....

I remember when we first arrived I couldn't find an electric kettle, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

BTW - Welcome To Amercia Arachnid Family!
LOL - Thanks Burn
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babybyrd
Dear Harry TS

I am a BA crew member who would just like to say how much your kind words are appreciated

People in life in general are quick to criticise and slow to praise and we crew at BA are really the bad girls and boys of the year due to our industrial dispute and thanks to the oh so impartial and balanced daily mail : )

So, thank you! it really does make my day when someone says something nice

Congrats on your safe arrival in the USA- I hope to follow in your footsteps in the not too distant future

xx bb
Hey Babybird

You are getting a rough time lately but BA is great for us. Lots of industrial disputes lately but despite all that BA still my No. 1 choice (and I am Canadian and fly economy!!). Just sort out the contract.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you made it here in one piece Arachnid family!! Yes, it'll take a couple of days to sink in that you're actually here, but enjoy it. We've been in the States for nearly 9 months now and it has flown in. I can't believe we've been here that long. Hope you got a decent kettle because we bought a cheapo one and it is total crap. Bought a toaster at the start but to be honest, it is quicker under the grill (broil) if you don't know the lingo of the ovens over here. Are already on to our second hoover, again, bought the cheapo one and it only lasted 6 months and it was rubbish anyway. So buying cheaper is not always the best idea, as me and the OH have found out. Anyway, if we can be of assistance over the next few weeks/months, just ask. I've been given invaluable advice on here before, and since we've moved so keep posting.

Once again, welcome to America
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Brat1
Glad you made it here in one piece Arachnid family!! Yes, it'll take a couple of days to sink in that you're actually here, but enjoy it. We've been in the States for nearly 9 months now and it has flown in. I can't believe we've been here that long. Hope you got a decent kettle because we bought a cheapo one and it is total crap. Bought a toaster at the start but to be honest, it is quicker under the grill (broil) if you don't know the lingo of the ovens over here. Are already on to our second hoover, again, bought the cheapo one and it only lasted 6 months and it was rubbish anyway. So buying cheaper is not always the best idea, as me and the OH have found out. Anyway, if we can be of assistance over the next few weeks/months, just ask. I've been given invaluable advice on here before, and since we've moved so keep posting.

Once again, welcome to America
Thanks Brat1 for the welcome. Wow, 9 months - I am sure you feel a lot more settled now. Will be getting decent kettle today and spend as much as necessary - most important! Noted on the toaster. Thank you for offer of assistance - I am sure we will have plenty of questions.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:13 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=ket...&ref=sr_bx_1_1

My jug kettle came from target 11 years ago still using it.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fsm
http://www.target.com/s?keywords=ket...&ref=sr_bx_1_1

My jug kettle came from target 11 years ago still using it.
Excellent! Thanks for that fsm.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:07 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hi All,

We have arrived - safe, sound (mostly) and largely on time... ish!

A big thanks again to all of you who helped with advice, support and humour!! (and yes, I DO intend to make full use of the letter 'U' on my keyboard, now we're here!)

Our flight was 40 mins late landing at Phoenix - or to put it another way, based on previous experience with BA on this flight 4 times before, it was on time! Seriously, the crew were excellent as always, and that 64mph headwind over 9+ hrs of flight adds up to a delay - I blame the weather/jet stream/government/all of the above.

Immigration people were professional, courteous and human - we got through in just a few minutes with the new L1/L2 visas. Customs were human and humorous and very helpful too.

So our huge excess baggage, including 5 suitcases and 3 very 'happy to see us' dogs just about squeezed in to this Hummer-sized Nissan tank thing we hired, and we got in to our new home around 11:30pm last night.

Time for some shut-eye, then shopping (just where DO you get a kettle from in these parts?!) and food!!

Thanks again

Harold The Arachnid Esq.,
Congratulations! How very, very exciting for you! Glad the flight went alright and the people in immigration/customs were helpful (even friendly?)
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Hi All,

We have arrived - safe, sound (mostly) and largely on time... ish!

So our huge excess baggage, including 5 suitcases and 3 very 'happy to see us' dogs just about squeezed in to this Hummer-sized Nissan tank thing we hired, and we got in to our new home around 11:30pm last night.

Time for some shut-eye, then shopping (just where DO you get a kettle from in these parts?!) and food!!

Thanks again

Harold The Arachnid Esq.,
Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound and the dogs were happy to see you, hopefully they will settle in well.
Target will become your new favourite store, i think its impossible to go in there and spend less than $100, the first few months we must have spent a few thousand $ in there, including a kettle
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by babybyrd
Dear Harry TS

I am a BA crew member who would just like to say how much your kind words are appreciated

People in life in general are quick to criticise and slow to praise and we crew at BA are really the bad girls and boys of the year due to our industrial dispute and thanks to the oh so impartial and balanced daily mail : )

So, thank you! it really does make my day when someone says something nice

Congrats on your safe arrival in the USA- I hope to follow in your footsteps in the not too distant future

xx bb
Hi Babybyrd

You're welcome - I know so many people think that cabin crew in particular are just 'trolley dollies' - but you must have the patience of a saint to put up with some of the things I've seen - and I know it's not just some BA passengers - I've seen it on AF/KLM, Lufthansa, SAS, Malev, etc etc...

Strange how these views change when you are called upon to do your true job - take care of passneger safety...

I was in the RAF for a time, spent much of it in flight safety, so I have a little appreciation...

What I do love about getting on to a BA flight home after a few days/weeks away on business is that smile, British sense of humour, and a nice cup of tea!

And good luck with your future plans - anything we can do to help, just shout - or is that 'holler' now that we've moved?!

Cheers

Harry
(Hijacking OH's BE session!)
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bink
I (politely) disagree...

Whilst it's great if you need to get somewhere on time, there's a lot to be said for getting lost in a new place! You learn all kinds of backroads and routes and come accross little gems (pubs, restaurants, shops etc) that you probably won't see if you try and use GPS.

I postponed getting a GPS by 6 months when I moved to Houston just so that I got to know my way around by feel first.
I am SO GOOD at getting lost, I can do that without a GPS to help me
(H The S)

Last edited by Britishbees; Nov 11th 2010 at 7:09 am.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:17 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Britishbees
I am SO GOOD at getting lost, I can do that without a GPS to help me
(H The S)
I hear you. I had a GPS directing me where to turn and which exit to take when I was driving from Washington State to California (it's a straight shot down I5, this should've been simple), yet the amount of time we lost because I got us lost...good Lord, it's embarrassing really!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

Welcome to the states. Hope you and all yours enjoy it very much here.

Walmart and Target you've heard a dozen times, so I won't repeat those; but I will add that "Le Gourmet Chef" and similar stores are pretty good if you can't find quite what you want at a big box store.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to America! We have been here a little over a month now and I can't say it hasn't been hard work and quite stressful. But things are settling down now.

For our electrical items we have mostly used Amazon.com to get them all - got a free trial of Amazon prime which gives 2-day delivery. We have a subscription to Consumer reports but in the end I went mostly on the Amazon recommendations;

Kettle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EZU678

Hoover
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TW208M

Hair drier
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FS05VG

Iron
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026ILY0E

Food mixer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026ILY0E

Waffle Iron
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CHL3Q0

Bread maker
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CHL3Q0

Toaster
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MVR7MQ

Essentials
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FA1L9I
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ5ACC
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO69NI
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ5JLE

Not cheap some of that stuff but I am hoping to claim most of it back as relocation!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

I just have to say, I burst out laughing at work looking at this, when I got to "essentials" and saw what you'd linked to. Expecting things like bedding or cleaning supplies and seeing it was tea, canned Heinz beans and Marmite...
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neko128
Welcome to the states. Hope you and all yours enjoy it very much here.

Walmart and Target you've heard a dozen times, so I won't repeat those; but I will add that "Le Gourmet Chef" and similar stores are pretty good if you can't find quite what you want at a big box store.
Thanks Neko Will look at Le Gourmet Chef as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.