Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Old Jul 29th 2014, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited, Restless, limbo and holding it all in.

Originally Posted by gazzer82
So an update on our progress.

Movers are in tomorrow, and by Friday we are out of our UK house.

We are then heading on our grand farewell tour!

Fly out to LA on the 13th of August, then need to start the process of getting SSN, Driving License, Car and a House!

Cheers

Gareth
Oh well done How are the stress/anxiety levels holding up?

Make sure to keep us up to date on all those little tasks and your experiences.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SmallShinyAnt
Little update. I got the email last night that they have started the the processing of my application and will adjudicate within 15 calendar days of application. Which on my calendar means that i have 11 days to wait!

So 11 days until a whirlwind of excitement and activity or... Life returns to normal i guess.
Hopefully you'll hear back soon. I can't imagine how it would feel to decide you're going to pursue the opportunity and then find you can't go!

My husband left for Phoenix at the end of June and has managed find a house and to set just about everything up in that time. The only thing he hasn't done is buy a car, but that should be sorted before I get there. Our belongings arrive into LA on the 8th Aug.

Meanwhile I am still in the UK until 7th Aug when I fly out, so I just missed our aim of being over there by the end of July. Still, I'm pretty accustomed to camping in my house now, but not long to go. Flight is booked, cats are booked on to their flight. I've been selling electricals and spending time doing the last few things I want to squeeze in before I go. Almost there!

(The Cardinals' first pre-season game is the 9th of August so I've still managed to arrive on time. )
Old Jul 29th 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

SmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond reputeSmallShinyAnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhyteBoar
Hopefully you'll hear back soon. I can't imagine how it would feel to decide you're going to pursue the opportunity and then find you can't go!
Nor can I! But I dare not get over excited about this until it is all in the bag.

My husband left for Phoenix at the end of June and has managed find a house and to set just about everything up in that time. The only thing he hasn't done is buy a car, but that should be sorted before I get there. Our belongings arrive into LA on the 8th Aug.
I am hoping to get the car thing sorted as a priority(Unfortunately IAS are having trouble getting what i wanted )

Meanwhile I am still in the UK until 7th Aug when I fly out, so I just missed our aim of being over there by the end of July. Still, I'm pretty accustomed to camping in my house now, but not long to go. Flight is booked, cats are booked on to their flight. I've been selling electricals and spending time doing the last few things I want to squeeze in before I go. Almost there!

(The Cardinals' first pre-season game is the 9th of August so I've still managed to arrive on time. )
You did not miss it by much and hopefully you get something a little bit like a home to turn up to!

We are unable to bring our cats and are not looking forward to handing them back to the rescue we got them from.

Enjoy Phoenix(I really must learn where all the states are)!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 1:58 pm
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future

Oh well done How are the stress/anxiety levels holding up?

Make sure to keep us up to date on all those little tasks and your experiences.
Thanks!

The stress levels are slowly creeping up, but mostly we're anxious to just get going. It's been a very long time in the planning and there are so many things we can't sort till we get to LA!

Will keep you all updated.

Would have been a whole load more stressful without the help and reassurances of people on this forum, so thanks to you all!

Cheers

Gareth
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Nor can I! But I dare not get over excited about this until it is all in the bag.

I am hoping to get the car thing sorted as a priority(Unfortunately IAS are having trouble getting what i wanted )
We were exactly the same, we didn't tell many people until he had his visa, even though the removal company were booked.

But, fingers crossed on the car Every little problem that gets sorted out makes you feel a little closer to getting there. Hubby only got his SSN yesterday after two trips to the SS Office!

You did not miss it by much and hopefully you get something a little bit like a home to turn up to!
The house looks nice so hopefully our furniture will arrive shortly after I do. I just want to sit on a sofa... I am so tired of garden chairs, I don't think I want to see another one for quite some time!!

We are unable to bring our cats and are not looking forward to handing them back to the rescue we got them from.
That's a shame, but by giving them back to the rescue they will find a good home. Ours have always been indoor cats, but the thought of sending them over stresses me out a lot.

Enjoy Phoenix(I really must learn where all the states are)!
Thank you. Still doesn't feel real! I hope you hear about your visa soon
Old Jul 29th 2014, 3:19 pm
Soon to be Expat

gazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant futuregazzer82 has a brilliant future

We were exactly the same, we didn't tell many people until he had his visa, even though the removal company were booked.

But, fingers crossed on the car Every little problem that gets sorted out makes you feel a little closer to getting there. Hubby only got his SSN yesterday after two trips to the SS Office!

The house looks nice so hopefully our furniture will arrive shortly after I do. I just want to sit on a sofa... I am so tired of garden chairs, I don't think I want to see another one for quite some time!!

That's a shame, but by giving them back to the rescue they will find a good home. Ours have always been indoor cats, but the thought of sending them over stresses me out a lot.

Thank you. Still doesn't feel real! I hope you hear about your visa soon
Hi WhyteBoar,

Can i pick your brains, how long did it take you guys to sort SSN, i have heard wildly different stories on how long it has taken. I'm currently planning to go into the office after having been in the US for 10 days, then hopefully pop in the next day to actually get the number, rather than wait for it to come in the post.

Sound like the correct approach to you?

Thanks

Gareth
Old Jul 29th 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi WhyteBoar,

Can i pick your brains, how long did it take you guys to sort SSN, i have heard wildly different stories on how long it has taken. I'm currently planning to go into the office after having been in the US for 10 days, then hopefully pop in the next day to actually get the number, rather than wait for it to come in the post.

Sound like the correct approach to you?

Thanks

Gareth
I am a USC from birth so I have a SSN, but hubby is a UKC. He waited the 10 days and went in to the SS Office and was told that he was on their system (great!) and the card would be through in 10-14 days. Well, that time passed and he still had no number so he went back to the SSO yesterday and they told him his number. Why they couldn't just tell him his number when he first visited, I don't know.

I had thought they would just tell him his number on his first visit, as you have assumed using your plan of action. But maybe he just had a miscommunication with the people in the office?

Thankfully, he has still been able to sort out almost everything without the SSN, up to this point.

Last edited by WhyteBoar; Jul 29th 2014 at 6:07 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 29th 2014, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Wow its seems the expats are flocking to Phoenix

Just curious on why you chose Phoenix and where did you end up buying a house?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

I have family connections to Arizona so when my husband was offered a job in the US we chose Phoenix. I lived in Tucson when I was a young child and return to Arizona/Phoenix almost every year to visit. It just made the most sense for us.

We're renting to begin with and we've ended up in Gilbert, which was one of the areas we liked originally.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Well i hope the move goes smoothly for you

EDIT : Cardinals tickets went on sale on Friday, they can sell out.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jul 29th 2014 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:53 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

. Well, that time passed and he still had no number so he went back to the SSO yesterday and they told him his number. Why they couldn't just tell him his number when he first visited, I don't know.
my understanding is that the application is added to the system the day you give it in - (assuming they can find you in the immigration system - which is why you wait the 10 days**). Then an overnight computer batch process assigns the number. Thats why it can be obtained from the office the next day - or just wait til the card arrives.

**If you don't wait ten days, then cant put the application into the system and im told it sits in the pending box until they decide to try again and hopefully they find you and bingo. I didnt like the idea that it sits and waits with no chasing or guaranbtee it will be dealt with in any hurry/timeframe etc and wanted to know mine was input okay - so i would always advise to wait the 10 days and you can SEE them input while you are there.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:30 pm
Soon to be Expat

Thanks all, that corresponds with the information I have managed to find around the Internet, so I will wait 10 day, submit it day 11 and hopefully go into the office and get the number day 12.

I'm in a bit of a rush for it as AMEX will not transfer my card until I have it. Plua I think getting the finance sorted for a car without it is going to be near on impossible.

Without wanting to hijack, what are people's thoughts on cars, lease or buy? Or is buying not even going to be an option?

Thanks

Gareth
Old Jul 29th 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, that corresponds with the information I have managed to find around the Internet, so I will wait 10 day, submit it day 11 and hopefully go into the office and get the number day 12.

I'm in a bit of a rush for it as AMEX will not transfer my card until I have it. Plua I think getting the finance sorted for a car without it is going to be near on impossible.

Without wanting to hijack, what are people's thoughts on cars, lease or buy? Or is buying not even going to be an option?

Thanks

Gareth
International Auto Source have been great and can arrange leases or finance at good rates but I think you have to set it all up before you go. There choices of vehicle can be a bit limited (They build to order)but they support all the main brands(My rep has been great I can pass you his details if that would help). I am aiming for a lease but thats as much out of habit as anything else.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Well i hope the move goes smoothly for you

EDIT : Cardinals tickets went on sale on Friday, they can sell out.
No problem, we got our season tickets before hubby got his visa. You gotta take care of the important things first
Old Jul 30th 2014, 4:17 am
Account Closed

No problem, we got our season tickets before hubby got his visa. You gotta take care of the important things first
Very very tidy. I was hoping to help out in some way but you've got it all sorted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.