Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

driving license???

driving license???

Old Oct 13th 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Dustydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving license???

Oh, and you CANNOT use the International Drivers License for 12 months unless your particular state allows it. And even then, it's your foreign license that they allow, not the worthless IDL. Many states only allow you to drive for 30 days on a foreign license. Others allow 3, 6, or 12 months, or require that you get a state license once you "become resident in the state".
Correct sir!

Last edited by Dustydog; Oct 13th 2007 at 6:57 am.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mellybrown
not that I go out much without my partner

Cripes why not?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 1:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinalise
I passed! They seem to be obsessed with slippery roads 5 out of 30 questions were about that.

Strange... did they look outside before they did the questions?? Not exactly a high risk to come across considering it rains 3 days a year. Well good thing I've driven in London I know everything there is to know about slippery roads
Have you seen the amount of car crashes that happen when it does rain? People don't realise to slow down because all that crap on the road gets washed out...
Old Oct 13th 2007, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

TonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinalise
I passed! They seem to be obsessed with slippery roads 5 out of 30 questions were about that.

Strange... did they look outside before they did the questions?? Not exactly a high risk to come across considering it rains 3 days a year. Well good thing I've driven in London I know everything there is to know about slippery roads

Anyhow, Tony, I went to Glendale because it is around the corner from work. Now it is 2 weeks wait until the driving test. )

maybe they got a call from northern california - it was peeing it down there yesterday.

oh goody another thing n ow - i figured u got the theory and driving test on the same day but i suppose it makes sense not to. makes it even more impossible to get a license in 10 days then LOL
Old Oct 13th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

TonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really niceTonyLA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Have you seen the amount of car crashes that happen when it does rain? People don't realise to slow down because all that crap on the road gets washed out...
in northern california they start to drive faster when it rains - presumably to get home quicker before they have an accident.....
Old Oct 13th 2007, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

i take it you're getting wet aswell today tony ??

i heard it travelled south overnight ?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
In hot climates it's even more dangerous becuse an oil film forms on the road. Attitude of drivers? Wheeeeeee
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TonyLA
maybe they got a call from northern california - it was peeing it down there yesterday.

oh goody another thing n ow - i figured u got the theory and driving test on the same day but i suppose it makes sense not to. makes it even more impossible to get a license in 10 days then LOL
Yeah it's annoying. But i think you get a slip to show you have started the process.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-c
i take it you're getting wet aswell today tony ??

i heard it travelled south overnight ?

Dunno - I drove north for the weekend - heard there were women here! (joke)
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

fern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nice

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Shouldn't that be 'walk' you mad if you don't have a licence?
I agree....the americans drive like nutters! never go out in the rain if you want to survive!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

fern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nicefern is just really nice
Question Re: driving license???

Originally Posted by dbj1000
The international drivers license has no value or purpose in the US. It does NOT entitle you to ANYTHING. It is simply a document that says that you have a valid license in the UK... which is pointless, because you have to have the license with you too. It's purpose is to translate foreign licenses written in other languages into the local language. Since the UK and the US allegedly share a common language, the document is meaningless. But the AA are always happy to take your money for such things.

More details

Oh, and you CANNOT use the International Drivers License for 12 months unless your particular state allows it. And even then, it's your foreign license that they allow, not the worthless IDL. Many states only allow you to drive for 30 days on a foreign license. Others allow 3, 6, or 12 months, or require that you get a state license once you "become resident in the state".

Yes sir! are you a lawyer ? you seem to have alot of books behind you on yr pic
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

ian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to allian-c is a name known to all

lol

i suspect its novelty wallpaper
Old Oct 14th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fern
Yes sir! are you a lawyer ? you seem to have alot of books behind you on yr pic
no, he's another geeky nerd type....

Edit: Balls, it's the geezer typing and not the missus, if you were wondering the sudden change in posting style
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

dbj are you still dj-ing?