Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Drivers Licenece from 1 State, Registration & Insurance From Another

Drivers Licenece from 1 State, Registration & Insurance From Another

Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers Licenece from 1 State, Registration & Insurance From Another

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

BTW - my suggestion, fwiw, buy the car from another dealer in NY that isn't going to care, OR bite the bullet and buy one in NJ.
See my edited post above.

Do you think it's a risk to buy from a NJ dealer?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers Licenece from 1 State, Registration & Insurance From Another

What do you forsee as the risk?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What do you forsee as the risk?
I don't / I don't know. I though by your previous post that you thought there was one.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Next question?
Please don't roll your eyes at me. My life is not a mess because I was stupid and made bad choices - I realize I'm the one who is saying so - It is because I tried hard and am trying hard to make some things happen despite all the obstacles and the mess happens along the way. If I had settled for very very different circumstances I would have had a clean plate.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I don't / I don't know. I though by your previous post that you thought there was one.
Nope. Just thought it would be easier to buy in NYC given that's where you currently live. I'd try another dealer in NYC first and if they aren't helpful head to NJ.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 10:31 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
I will be buying in NJ. I have a licence from NJ but my address is NY and I want to register and insure in NY. I can't sway my licence yet because the NY DMV web site says I must have held it for min 6 months before I swap for the Ny licence.
What do you think? Should I buy from a NY dealer? would that make a difference?

( I got the licence in NJ because it didn't require me to take a 1 week paid course like NY and they accepted my UK licence AND let me keep it.)
If you live in NY, you are supposed to obtain a NY license 30 days after taking up residence. Unfortunately, because your NJ license is not 6 months old, that means that you are supposed to start from scratch and apply for a new license, not that you should just continue to drive on your NJ license. Be careful that, if you ran into a problem that needed you to claim on your insurance, they didn't refuse to settle your claim because of this.

I also feel it would be better to make the purchase in the state where you live because I recall the problems I ran into when I moved to CT just two months after buying a car in NY. The CT motor vehicles dept came up with a scenario that I bought in NY to avoid paying CT sales tax, and it took weeks of correspondence to sort it out! I only found the house I moved to two weeks after buying the car, and could prove it with paperwork, but did they care . . . . !
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I also feel it would be better to make the purchase in the state where you live because I recall the problems I ran into when I moved to CT just two months after buying a car in NY. The CT motor vehicles dept came up with a scenario that I bought in NY to avoid paying CT sales tax, and it took weeks of correspondence to sort it out! I only found the house I moved to two weeks after buying the car, and could prove it with paperwork, but did they care . . . . !
Isn't it a case if you move within 12 months of buying, your meant to pay sales tax prorated for the state you move to and then prorate claim back from the state you left?

It shouldn't be a issue buying out of state if you aren't moving around, dealer usually fills in something to declare you're not a state resident, so you dont' have to pay that states sales tax and you just pay it in your state when you register the car. The only faff I suppose is that's it's an extra piece of paper to fill and the sales tax isn't paid with the rest of the documentation fee's that they bundle up.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 29th 2014 at 1:58 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:22 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

id buy in state as well if i were you if you have a choice. in our scenario above we incurred extra costs because a newly resisted vehicle in texas is automatically inspected and given that documentation. as we brought out of state the 'day before' we got to texas our car was not inspected to texas standards and we had to take it to an inspection place, pay for the inspection, and then show this at registration. i dont know if NJ/NY has any such things laws but if you buy where you live you avoid them.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Isn't it a case if you move within 12 months of buying, your meant to pay sales tax prorated for the state you move to and then prorate claim back from the state you left? .....
That is my understanding.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
id buy in state as well if i were you if you have a choice. in our scenario above we incurred extra costs because a newly resisted vehicle in texas is automatically inspected and given that documentation. as we brought out of state the 'day before' we got to texas our car was not inspected to texas standards and we had to take it to an inspection place, pay for the inspection, and then show this at registration. i dont know if NJ/NY has any such things laws but if you buy where you live you avoid them.
The dealer did say I would have to take it for inspection to NY DMV whereas he said NJ didn't have that requirement. I don't know whether the true version of that is what you say above, i.e. they are in NJ so they get the inspection done, and if I'm registering in a different state I have to get it done. Hmm. I'll inquire tomorrow with a dealer in NY State..
Old Aug 29th 2014, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

NJ doesn't have a inspection requirement. It's why cars from NJ can be so freaking scary.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Isn't it a case if you move within 12 months of buying, your meant to pay sales tax prorated for the state you move to and then prorate claim back from the state you left?
It may be now, but I don't know whether it was in 1982 when this went down, as all they were worried about was that I was a CT resident who had bought in NY to avoid CT tax, and when I proved to their satisfaction that wasn't the case, it all went away.