Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know about degrees in the UK?

Does anyone know about degrees in the UK?

Old May 31st 2009, 2:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone know about degrees in the UK?

Originally Posted by rebs
Bishop Desmond Tutu - a 2:2
Doh.
Old May 31st 2009, 6:05 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Bishop Desmond Tutu - a 2:2
I'd never heard that....classic!
Old May 31st 2009, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

sleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nicesleepysnooze is just really nice

Just to add, many of the competitive graduate jobs require you to have a 2:1. It would be more difficult to find a job that places importance on good academics with a 2:2.
Old May 31st 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Do you know what an A 2:2 Degree is?
Also what would an 4 year BA degree from US be classed as in UK?
Thanks in advance ladies and gents.
I'm finding info for my oldest who asks me random questions I have no idea about
FYI:

According to the UK government's 1997 National Committee of Inquiry into Higher Education (Dearing Report):

"The American high school diploma compares in standard with GCSE and the
associate degree with GCE A-level and Advanced GNVQ, the bachelor’s degree with a UK pass degree or higher national diploma and the Master’s degree with a bachelor’s honours degree from a British university."
Old May 31st 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

Wow!! does that mean my 2:2 BSc Hons is the same as a Masters???
Old May 31st 2009, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Minus 32 times by .555555555555
Old May 31st 2009, 10:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bilbos92
Wow!! does that mean my 2:2 BSc Hons is the same as a Masters???
Not in most people's books, I don't think. I didn't realise teh Dearing report had that sort of statement in it, but generally-speaking in practice that is incorrect.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

pineapple2oo9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
FYI:

According to the UK government's 1997 National Committee of Inquiry into Higher Education (Dearing Report):

"The American high school diploma compares in standard with GCSE and the
associate degree with GCE A-level and Advanced GNVQ, the bachelor’s degree with a UK pass degree or higher national diploma and the Master’s degree with a bachelor’s honours degree from a British university."
From my experience this could be open to some negotiation. I came back from America with a high school diploma and was accepted into University in England (although with a little bit of convincing i'd be ok) - they didn't make me do any intermediate steps like AS/A Levels. It's hard to understand why a HS diploma would only be worth GCSE's

Last edited by pineapple2oo9; Jun 1st 2009 at 12:12 am. Reason: Rephrase
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by pineapple2oo9
From my experience this could be open to some negotiation. I came back from America with a high school diploma and was accepted into University in England (although with a little bit of convincing i'd be ok) - they didn't make me do any intermediate steps like AS/A Levels. It's hard to understand why a HS diploma would only be worth GCSE's
Conversely, one of my close friends got high marks in her matric (sp?) in SA and was told she had to do A levels as recently as a few years ago when she came to the UK and when a member of my family was studying in his first year of "A" levels in 95, his parents showed a geology teacher at Brum Uni the work he was expected to do and the teacher said that it was along the lines of what he expected his first year undergraduates to do, not a sixth form student. GCSEs roughly being a GED/HSD doesn't surprise me at all.

Last edited by ellimere; Jun 1st 2009 at 12:24 am. Reason: ...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:32 am
Just Joined

pineapple2oo9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ellimere
Conversely, one of my close friends got high marks in her matric (sp?) in SA and was told she had to do A levels as recently as a few years ago when she came to the UK and when a member of my family was studying in his first year of "A" levels in 95, his parents showed a geology teacher at Brum Uni the work he was expected to do and the teacher said that it was along the lines of what he expected his first year undergraduates to do, not a sixth form student. GCSEs roughly being a GED/HSD doesn't surprise me at all.
That could be similar to AP courses that students can do in HS that counts as university credits
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:06 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Agreed - though this may be interpreted slightly differently at different institutions.
Just out of interest, do you know if there is a vague correlation between US GPA and the degree scale mentioned here as used in the UK?
For example, any idea what a 3.25 grade point average would mean? Were it not for one incomplete class, they'd have given me honors with that score. Grumble, grumble.

Ta.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:24 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Just out of interest, do you know if there is a vague correlation between US GPA and the degree scale mentioned here as used in the UK?
For example, any idea what a 3.25 grade point average would mean? Were it not for one incomplete class, they'd have given me honors with that score. Grumble, grumble.

Ta.
Post number 6 about sums it up:

A = 4.0 = 1st
B = 3.0 = 2:1
C = 2.0 = 2:2
D = 1.0 = 3rd

- I'd say a 3.25 overall GPA is about a 2:1 ... but in reality it depends on what university and what major. Getting high grades in physics is a lot more difficult than in, say, media studies.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:25 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nc-gremlin
For honours degrees the breakdown is roughly:-
1st Class = A grade
2nd Class upper division (2:1) = B grade
2nd Class lower division (2:2) = C grade
3rd Class = D grade
Isn't there some correlation between Magna Cum Dingdong and Summa Cum Latte or whatever between 1st Class and 2:1 Honors or thereabouts!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 7:43 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Voltore
Isn't there some correlation between Magna Cum Dingdong and Summa Cum Latte or whatever between 1st Class and 2:1 Honors or thereabouts!!!
Yes, and "Thank You Lordy" equates to a 3rd.

I forget exactly, but the Summa, Magna, and Cum Laude equate to something like GPA > 3.9, 3.75 and 3.5 ... approximately. It varies between institutions (some require a 4.0 for summa, for example), and some have extra requirements (e.g., an honours thesis) for these classifications.

Last edited by dunroving; Jun 2nd 2009 at 7:45 am.