Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:42 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you find Americans have a condecending attitude towards the UK?

Originally Posted by Michael
But Sugarmooma is not originally American but was from the UK. Read her blog if you want to see a very interesting and heartfelt story. However, you have to read it from the back to the front since Brits seem to do things backwards.
I saw wot you did there

Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:48 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it rather sad how British culture is so non-existant for many the extent of our culture is a German family who changed their name to Windsor after a castle.

I also find it staggering how many countries expect us to be "hand on our heart" Royal fanatics. All jumping up to sing "God Save the Queen" at any opportunity.

The reality is most of us don't care either way, and that most of the Royal Family's fanatic fanbase comes from overseas.

In fact, I suspect the majority of people lining up waving British flags on Kate and Williams wedding probably weren't even British, lol.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

You are so right! I actually like having a royal family, but know that when you`re living in the UK you dont actually take a lot of notice of them, apart from when there`s a bit of a crisis like when Diana died, or for a good bit of pageantry like the wedding.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't talking about dysfunctional since the US congress wins hands down. However congress has the power, if they should desire to exert it, but the house of lords doesn't have any power and can't exert it. So the house of lords is not dysfunctional at all.
I wonder if the Lords have power in less explicit ways... I'm sure they do, which is a concern - transparency is an issue for a start.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:31 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having a bit of deja vu ....
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
My son lives in Germany and although he`s only in his twenties he occasionally gets some of what you describe. Not surprising, I guess!
Outlook and background helps.

My father was German, mother English. My father's sister married a US serviceman and they + my 4 cousins, USC all of them, live in Rochester, NY. Family get togethers in Germany in the summer were fun!

Within the family 6+ languages were spoken between us... I managed 3 fluently, not counting Latin(!)... Or French...

So I guess I have no excuse if I am bigoted in any way, whereas many others are just plain ignorant...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by COF
The reality is most of us don't care either way, and that most of the Royal Family's fanatic fanbase comes from overseas.

In fact, I suspect the majority of people lining up waving British flags on Kate and Williams wedding probably weren't even British, lol.
And you base this 'statement of fact' on what evidence?

You, your friends, family & other acquaintances may feel this way. Most of mine, including me, are staunch supporters of the Royal Family, warts and all. That doesn't mean every Brit is.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Is this OP a plant by some nefarious organization with a mission to piss off everybody who reads what he has to say? I always thought of the British as being a very tolerant people - somewhat judgemental, but tolerant in the long run. I don't hear any such thing in this person's statements - or is it just me?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

What a ludicrous idea. How can anyone who is a non-Brit have a condescending attitude towards the UK. We're better than everyone
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

In the late 1960's and 1970's, I lived in Geneva for about 6 years and hung around with a crowd of Americans, British, Australians, Irish, and an occasional Swiss and French. The group was really great, funny, and everyone got along nicely except one English girl name Annie.

Although Annie could be fun when she wanted to be, she could also turn on people at a moments notice and someone always had a falling out with Annie. Annie also made sure that everyone knew that she was from a proper English family from Wimbledon, vastly disliked anyone from Latin countries, really wasn't fond of Americans, and thought anyone from eastern Europe were the dregs.

Annie always gave Helen (another English girl) a hard time since Helen did not have a proper upbringing.

Annie was going with an Australian by the name of Saub (Shandor was his real name but what Australian wants to be called Shandor so he was referred to by the first part of his last name), was an executive at Dupont, and also had a very strong Australian accent similar to Paul Hogan. Everybody loved Saub since he was easy going, was fun to be around, and was always the life of the party.

At that time I wasn't going with any girl in particular but occasionally dated a Swiss girl by the name of Jacqueline. Annie didn't like Jacqueline at all so when we saw each other, we seldom spent it with the group. Of all the people I knew at that time, I spent the most time with an Irish girl named Devi that was from the group.

Then I met an English girl named Eve and we hit it off very well and Eve became part of the group. Eventually Eve and I became best friends with Saub and Annie even though neither of us liked or trusted Annie that much but we both liked Saub. Although Eve did not have a proper English upbringing she could handle herself very well since she previously dated one of the upper class in the UK, spent time at St. Michaels Mount, dined with the queen, and had many acquaintances with the lords. She thought of marrying him but he was older, the family thought she was too pretty, and didn't like the fact that she didn't have the proper upbringing. Although he wanted to get married, she decided that it wasn't the right thing and skipped off to Switzerland.

After it became obvious that it was becoming serious between Eve and I, Saub and Annie threw a party for us. When we showed up, guess who was invited too the party (yup you guessed it, Jacqueline was invited by Annie). Why Annie would think that there would be any reason that I would want Jacqueline at the party, I don't know to this day. Instead of a fun party, there was this uneasiness during the whole party but I never got mad at Annie for playing such a trick.

In the proper English fashion, Saub had to ask Annie's hand in holly matrimony from her father. Prior to bringing him to England, she insisted that he prepare what he was going to say to her father. When they got to England, Saub gave the presentation and her father didn't respond. I guess he wasn't satisfied with someone with a name of Saub, didn't have a proper English upbringing, and sounded like Paul Hogan.

We were all going to be married in the England and expected to attended each other weddings. But about 6 months before their wedding, Annie had a hissy fit when they were having dinner at my place and started coming at Eve and then walked out of the house never to be at each other homes and not associating when with the group for another year. After they left, we didn't have any idea what it was about. So we never got invited to their wedding and they never attended ours although we sent them an invitation since we didn't understand what the issue was.

Anyway, if I had to base my feelings towards the British based on Annie, you would all be a bunch of turds.
After I wrote this, I felt a little bad about saying such nasty things about Annie so I tried to think of anything good I could say about her. I thought and thought and thought and then I finally remembered. Saub said he really likes Annie since she has very big knockers.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

After I wrote this, I felt a little bad about saying such nasty things about Annie so I tried to think of anything good I could say about her. I thought and thought and thought and then I finally remembered. Saub said he really likes Annie since she has very big knockers.

If all else fails...I guess
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes!!

Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:25 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisydaisy
I have spent time in many different areas of the States and have found people I met to be generally extremely positive in their life attitude, open and genuinely friendly, and really interested in my British accent and the Royals. Scratch all of the above in the New York, where I've been shouted at by waitresses, bike riders and immigration officers
Us New Yorkers are just horrible people.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

You, your friends, family & other acquaintances may feel this way. Most of mine, including me, are staunch supporters of the Royal Family, warts and all. That doesn't mean every Brit is.
I see them as good value for money. It only costs the tax payer a couple of penny's a year on taxes to cover and they bring in a lot of tourism and other business, so pretty cheap for what you get.

I don't really care for the hanger ons though, they could probably all bugger off....though saying that, Zara was kind of cute until she started to look like her mother
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Is this OP a plant by some nefarious organization with a mission to piss off everybody who reads what he has to say? I always thought of the British as being a very tolerant people - somewhat judgemental, but tolerant in the long run. I don't hear any such thing in this person's statements - or is it just me?
He drops in periodically to troll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.