Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

crossing border from canada

crossing border from canada

Old Jun 26th 2004, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice
Default crossing border from canada

We are having a holiday in Canada next month and will be visiting Niagara Falls. As it is close to the USA border we thought we may nip over and have a couple of days looking around NY state. Will this be possible? I have just read on another website that you have to apply for a tourist visa in advance to cross over from Canada. We are from UK and will obviously have our return tickets from Toronto and all other documents with us.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: crossing border from canada

Originally posted by buzzz
We are having a holiday in Canada next month and will be visiting Niagara Falls. As it is close to the USA border we thought we may nip over and have a couple of days looking around NY state. Will this be possible? I have just read on another website that you have to apply for a tourist visa in advance to cross over from Canada. We are from UK and will obviously have our return tickets from Toronto and all other documents with us.
You should not have a problem. You will travel using the visa waiver program. Simply tell the border officer what your intentions are and you shouldn't have any issues at all.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:36 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Exactly. Tell them you need to fill in a visa waiver -they should have them there.

Why do you want to cross the border, though? The views of the falls, the tourist attractions, hotels and everything are vastly superior on the Canadian side. There really is no reason to go to the US side -the town is nasty, the view is crap and you stand a good chance of getting stuff stolen or playing dodge the druggie on the sidewalk and there is not a lot to see in NY State unless you make it to NY City.

jmho
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster

....there is not a lot to see in NY State unless you make it to NY City.

jmho
Despite living in up-state NY... I completely agree with you. I have done Niagara from the USA and Canadian side.

Buzzzzzzz, my advise is don't even bother with the USA side of the falls!
Old Jun 27th 2004, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice

Originally posted by CitySimon
Despite living in up-state NY... I completely agree with you. I have done Niagara from the USA and Canadian side.

Buzzzzzzz, my advise is don't even bother with the USA side of the falls!
There is method in my madness!!. My husband applied for an L1 visa and me and kids for L2's earlier this year. We where refused and now I am worried that if we go to the states on holiday they may think we are trying to sneak in or something and we may get put back on the plane at POE. This way we can just test the water and the worst that can happen is we stay in Canada. I absolutely hate flying and have to be diazapaned up to the hilt. It is my worst nightmare to be put back on the plane after a long flight.:scared: