Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number experience

Social Security Number experience

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Social Security Number experience

We went to the local Social Security office today to apply for Angela. We presented her passport and employment authorization card. We (I) filled out an application form and signed. They presented us with a print out with the personal data and Angela signed that it was correct and dated it.

The clerk stated that we would receive her card in the mail in 7-10 days. She then asked us if it was an emergency. We stated no. She then explained that the number would be computer generated tonight and was not available until tomorrow. She further explained that we could pick up a temporary card tomorrow if we needed one.

Total time in office wait and all less that ten minutes. Hmmm wonder if they could tutor immigrations?

Anthony Y Angela
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:46 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Social Security Number experience

Originally posted by lpdiver
We went to the local Social Security office today to apply for Angela. We presented her passport and employment authorization card. We (I) filled out an application form and signed. They presented us with a print out with the personal data and Angela signed that it was correct and dated it.

The clerk stated that we would receive her card in the mail in 7-10 days. She then asked us if it was an emergency. We stated no. She then explained that the number would be computer generated tonight and was not available until tomorrow. She further explained that we could pick up a temporary card tomorrow if we needed one.

Total time in office wait and all less that ten minutes. Hmmm wonder if they could tutor immigrations?

Anthony Y Angela
LOL!

How long after POE did you wait to apply for the SSN?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony Y Angela
Wow, Congratulations! Finally nice to hear of a fast, efficient SSN experience!

Best Wishes,
Rene <----day 55 waiting for "INS" verification for SSN
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

We entered 15 February. However, we had to file for EAD via mail to the NBC. We mailed that on 28 February. My check was cashed on 4 or 8 March. CIS mailed a notice that was returned as undeliverable. You need that notice and number in order to call the 800-375-5283 number and make a biometrics apointment.

However, it is virtually impossible to extract yourself from that loop if they return your mail. So we waited until 10 June and walked in for an interim. I wrote a bit about that experience in another thread. One week later we received the card in the mail after being told it COULD take 30-90 days.

Good Luck,

Anthony Y Angela

Originally posted by mcjimbo
LOL!

How long after POE did you wait to apply for the SSN?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:07 am
Michael D. Young

Noorah101 wrote:

> The clerk stated that we would receive her card in the mail in 7-10
    > days. She then asked us if it was an emergency. We stated no. She then
    > explained that the number would be computer generated tonight and was
    > not available until tomorrow. She further explained that we could pick
    > up a temporary card tomorrow if we needed one

Once, the SSN is assigned and the Numident record is created the office can
issue an SSN Verification Printout. The Printout verify the SSN and the
name shown on the current Numident record for that SSN. It is not a
temporary SSN card. SSA does not issue temporary SSN cards.

Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:57 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Anthony Y Angela

I am glad to hear the trip to the social security office was succesful!! yay!!
As for them tutoring immigration.. I don't know, some people had to wait 2-3 months before they got their SSN card!!
Happy Hyper!!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Feanor is an unknown quantity at this point

I entered the States on a K1 Visa on March 21st, 2003. I went to the local Social Security Office on March 31st, 2003, and I was approved without any hassles after waiting in line for over an hour. My Social Security card arrived in the mail on April 8th, 2003.

And then I got married on May 5th, 2003.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:07 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Feanor
I entered the States on a K1 Visa on March 21st, 2003. I went to the local Social Security Office on March 31st, 2003, and I was approved without any hassles after waiting in line for over an hour. My Social Security card arrived in the mail on April 8th, 2003.

Wow that is fast! congrats!
Some people like my friend Noorah have to wait forever though..
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I suppose the clerk does not know her job then. We don't need it right away at any rate.

tony

Originally posted by Michael D. Young
Noorah101 wrote:

> The clerk stated that we would receive her card in the mail in 7-10
    > days. She then asked us if it was an emergency. We stated no. She then
    > explained that the number would be computer generated tonight and was
    > not available until tomorrow. She further explained that we could pick
    > up a temporary card tomorrow if we needed one

Once, the SSN is assigned and the Numident record is created the office can
issue an SSN Verification Printout. The Printout verify the SSN and the
name shown on the current Numident record for that SSN. It is not a
temporary SSN card. SSA does not issue temporary SSN cards.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Anthony Y Angela
we have two different experiences on this one....when my fiance first arrived we called SSA to see if he was eligible for a SS# as a K-1er b/c he wasn't legal to work at that time and there is a special box you have to check if you aren't legal to work and provide some statement from the government office requiring you to have a SS# to be able to get one.....

we never applied for the SS#, got married and sent his I-94 with all the paperwork for AOS.....when he got his EAD he applied for the SS#...it has now been about 7 weeks and still no SS#

my sister's fiance arrived in the US the day after my husband first went to apply for his SS#...they decided to try to go to the SS office this time rather than call with my sister's fiance's I-94....he got his ss# in about 2 weeks, but it says not allowed to work on it

i wish my husband had done the same thing b/c he could already be establishing credit in the US, have a NC drivers license, be paying NC insurance rates rather than the current $300/month
Old Jun 26th 2004, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Redbutterfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Feanor

Because, K1 is different while K3 needs to receive the EAD first which is 90 days to process before we can apply for SSN.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Contrary to what you indicate: A social security number is not required to obtain a drivers license nor to open a bank account.

Good Luck

ALP & ALP

Originally posted by cmstrick
we have two different experiences on this one....when my fiance first arrived we called SSA to see if he was eligible for a SS# as a K-1er b/c he wasn't legal to work at that time and there is a special box you have to check if you aren't legal to work and provide some statement from the government office requiring you to have a SS# to be able to get one.....

we never applied for the SS#, got married and sent his I-94 with all the paperwork for AOS.....when he got his EAD he applied for the SS#...it has now been about 7 weeks and still no SS#

my sister's fiance arrived in the US the day after my husband first went to apply for his SS#...they decided to try to go to the SS office this time rather than call with my sister's fiance's I-94....he got his ss# in about 2 weeks, but it says not allowed to work on it

i wish my husband had done the same thing b/c he could already be establishing credit in the US, have a NC drivers license, be paying NC insurance rates rather than the current $300/month
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:31 pm
Michael D. Young

lpdiver wrote:

> Contrary to what you indicate: A social security number is not required
    > to obtain a drivers license nor to open a bank account.

http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/drive...fault.html#ssn

If you are getting a license, learner’s permit or an ID card for the first
time in North Carolina, you will need to provide proof of your identity and
your date of birth. You will also need to provide proof of your residence
address and proof of either a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual
Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Now that's just North Carolina. So you are familiar with the driver's
license requirements for all 50 states?

http://www.ustreas.gov/press/release...rts/js7432.doc

FACT SHEET:

Final Regulations Implementing Customer Identity Verification Requirements
under Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act Collecting information:

As part of a Customer Identification Program (CIP), financial institutions
will be required to develop procedures to collect relevant identifying
information including a customer's name, address, date of birth, and a
taxpayer identification number – for individuals, this will likely be a
Social Security number. Foreign nationals without a U.S. taxpayer
identification number could provide a similar government-issued
identification number, such as a passport number.

Verifying identity:

A CIP is also required to include procedures to verify the identity of
customers opening accounts. Most financial institutions will use
traditional documentation such as a driver's license or passport. However,
the final rule recognizes that in some instances institutions cannot readily
verify identity through more traditional means, and allows them the
flexibility to utilize alternate methods to effectively verify the identity
of customers.

http://www.treasury.gov/press/releas...rts/js7432.doc

FACT SHEET:

Results of the Notice of Inquiry on Final Regulations Implementing Customer
Identity Verification Requirements under Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act
Foreign issued identification documents:

-- Rather than dictating which forms of identification documents financial
institutions may accept, the final rule employs a risk-based approach that
allows financial institutions flexibility, within certain parameters, to
determine which forms of identification they will accept and under what
circumstances.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if the bank wants an SSN they can require one and there is nothing you
can do about it except go to another bank.

Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:54 pm

Originally posted by Redbutterfly
Because, K1 is different while K3 needs to receive the EAD first which is 90 days to process before we can apply for SSN.

I second that
Old Jun 27th 2004, 12:16 pm
membersfaq

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
I second that

just wondering why you post so many worthless posts? do you have a mental dis-order?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.