Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:38 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

I live in L.A. A close friend had a mid-life change in career. He was highly educated, but simply got tired of the pursuit for research grants. He worked as a teacher in a private high school while taking the supplemental courses to sit for the California certification exams. He then worked for LAUSD.

So, no certification required to work in private schools. It is required for public schools. (I have no idea about "charter" schools). From what I understand, everyone has to take some supplental coursework.

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I know somebody who subs, well did and the pay from memory was a dollar or two above minimum and no benefits.

She did it because she liked to do it.
Friends of mine who are principals, and higher, in the US have told me in the past year that their schools/systems are paying between $80 and $100 per day. It does vary from district to district.

So if someone is subbing every day . . . that would top out at . . . not a lot of money per month, as you indicated. In fact, it's ballpark with working at Denny's or other similar employment.

However, as difficult as subbing is - if there was someone like your friend who did it because they liked it - and that was genuinely why they were doing it - I would probably want that person on staff full-time.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Friends of mine who are principals, and higher, in the US have told me in the past year that their schools/systems are paying between $80 and $100 per day. It does vary from district to district.

So if someone is subbing every day . . . that would top out at . . . not a lot of money per month, as you indicated. In fact, it's ballpark with working at Denny's or other similar employment.

However, as difficult as subbing is - if there was someone like your friend who did it because they liked it - and that was genuinely why they were doing it - I would probably want that person on staff full-time.
Yes varies a lot by district and state- in Ohio the average substitute teacher could make $26,000 per year ( compared to working at a place similar to Denny's at $18,000 per year) but in most parts of Ohio $26,000 per year would pay for rent, food, and then some. Looked up on internet and it said average California substitute teacher can make $36,000 per year, which in some parts of California probably couldn't cover rent on a decent house. But nice supplemental income as OP said husband was one moving for job if I recall.

Getting into government school as teacher and in the union, salaries can be lucrative especially including the generous health and pension benefits. I looked up one elementary school in Orange country near Los Angeles county, quite a few teachers making over $100,000 per year.

The advantage of substitute teacher I think is one gets used to system, makes some contacts, and school can advise and help on getting certifications.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I live in L.A. A close friend had a mid-life change in career. He was highly educated, but simply got tired of the pursuit for research grants. He worked as a teacher in a private high school while taking the supplemental courses to sit for the California certification exams. He then worked for LAUSD.

So, no certification required to work in private schools. It is required for public schools. (I have no idea about "charter" schools). From what I understand, everyone has to take some supplental coursework.

Good luck.
Charter schools are state dependant. Some states require certification, some don't. So you know for future reference!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

A_Cruz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Big thank you to everyone who has given me valuable advice. Lots to think about. Thanks ever so much!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I think it depends a lot on the state, I lived in two states which always had a need for substitute teachers. In both states one could apply directly through the county but many signed up with agencies who placed them I don't know if for elementary school whether a Master's is always a prerequisite in California, I doubt it though. I think once one gets the alternative teaching license one can then look at courses online that can help- I do not know California system at all, but the two states of which I am somewhat familiar with government schools had set pay scales depending on what degree one had, i.e more salary for same work if one had a Master's.

Teachers in California if members of a union have very good benefits and pension, and typically a lot of job security.
Where I am, to be a sub, you put your name in at the school district level and they send you out to the schools in the district you are interested in, when needed. There's supposed to be a rotating list they go through but the reality is, if you don't have friends in the right places, you'll never get high enough on the list to get either the nice schools, or the locations you are interested in. There is always a need for sub teachers, but it's the same handful of people that get the positions all the time it would seem.

As for masters, there isn't a strict requirement for a teaching position, even in pre-school, but the reality is around here, with so many teachers, that if you don't have one, you won't even get a interview.

I think the long term music sub only got it because she had something like 20 years experience teaching in the neighbouring state and had recently moved back here, but even so, she had taught in the district when she first got out of college.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

The pay for a sub, though, is awful, and someone will probably have to take a second evening job to go along with it if they are planning on going that route.
It's really hit or miss down my way. Averages to $22 a hour in Boston, or $110 a day. Our school district, I think pays $85 a day, which is pretty poor in comparison.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Where I am, to be a sub, you put your name in at the school district level and they send you out to the schools in the district you are interested in, when needed. There's supposed to be a rotating list they go through but the reality is, if you don't have friends in the right places, you'll never get high enough on the list to get either the nice schools, or the locations you are interested in. There is always a need for sub teachers, but it's the same handful of people that get the positions all the time it would seem.

As for masters, there isn't a strict requirement for a teaching position, even in pre-school, but the reality is around here, with so many teachers, that if you don't have one, you won't even get a interview.

I think the long term music sub only got it because she had something like 20 years experience teaching in the neighbouring state and had recently moved back here, but even so, she had taught in the district when she first got out of college.
It seems every state is different in the circumstances. In Oho I know lot sof schools go through agencies though like any organization and maybe more in the academic field who you know helps. Anyway being a substitute can generate can help develop contacts for full time positon which seem to pay quite well when one counts the benefits. pension and of course vacation time.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

OP says "LA" which in context means the Los Angeles metropolitan area. There are quite a few school districts in the area. Los Angeles Unified is by and far the biggest. There are many local districts in Los Angeles County and adjacent counties. For example, from where I live, it would be a shorter commute to Glendale Unified or Pasadena Unified than to most school in LA Unified.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

livinginparadise5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I teach in the Bay Area in an international school with a UK qualification and no state certification. If you are considering international schools, January is typically the recruitment season for the next school year. Good luck!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

A_Cruz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livinginparadise5
Hi, I teach in the Bay Area in an international school with a UK qualification and no state certification. If you are considering international schools, January is typically the recruitment season for the next school year. Good luck!
Good to know! Thank you.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which visa did they sponsor you for, how long did it take.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

livinginparadise5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which visa did they sponsor you for, how long did it take.
I have the J1, although have colleagues with various other visas. We got our jobs a year ago, but started in August (one of the biggest international teaching recruitment fairs is in London this weekend, hence why most schools do their recruitment now). Two of the larger recruitment agencies are Search Associates and CIS, although if you're looking to move somewhere specific, you could always write speculatively to the private schools in that area.
The visa process was a matter of weeks for us.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the J1, although have colleagues with various other visas. We got our jobs a year ago, but started in August (one of the biggest international teaching recruitment fairs is in London this weekend, hence why most schools do their recruitment now). Two of the larger recruitment agencies are Search Associates and CIS, although if you're looking to move somewhere specific, you could always write speculatively to the private schools in that area.
The visa process was a matter of weeks for us.
So this is a short term placement?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

So this is a short term placement?
My teacher friend in the UK looked in to the J-1 teacher exchange. It's basically expected you'll share your experience back home in the UK, so I imagine it would come with the 2 year home stay attached, possibly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.