British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-teacher-relocating-la-re-certify-907954/)

A_Cruz1 Jan 14th 2018 1:38 pm

British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

Hi all
My family and I are looking to move (back) to California from London as my husband is from there. I can work with my Green Card, when I get it. I am an experienced Primary school teacher (7 years) and a Phase Leader for Key Stage 1 (UK years 1 & 2).
Do I need to re-certify if I want to work as a teacher in California? Is it the same in private schools or are they less strict? What does re-certification actually mean? Is it a long course?
Any advice anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
AC

scot47 Jan 14th 2018 1:43 pm

Re: British teacher relocating to LA: re-certify?

https://teach.com/become/teaching-cr...ts/california/

Good Luck

leema5 Jan 14th 2018 3:33 pm

I am in the same situation as you. UK trained teacher relocating to Florida with my American spouse in a couple of months.

I am using WEP - World Education Services, to match up my UK transcripts to U.S equivalency. The service I need is ‘course by course’. When you register and pay, they give you a reference number that can be given to your university who will then send them your sealed transcripts. I haven’t completed this step yet.

Once you have all this done it can be sent to the state education department to determine if you are able to be licensed in that state.

I’m not sure if it’s the same in CA but this is what I need to do for FL. I went onto Florida Education Department’s website and looked at the section that deals with non-US citizens as a starting point.

carcajou Jan 15th 2018 4:23 am

You will need a California teaching licence - whatever is the process for that, for those on UK registration. The licensing department's web site will be a good first resource; you can also call and ask them and I am sure someone there will walk you through the process. You won't be the first Brit to go through it.

Each state has its own teaching licence, and even Americans going from one state to another, have to change their certification. There is reciprocity between most states (you still have to undergo a process - it is not a simple exchange).

Assume that California schools will have no idea about how the UK system works, or the terminology used, which will have an impact on how you explain your previous work experience to them when job hunting. "Phase Leader for Key Stage 1" - they will have no idea what that means and you might as well be speaking Martian to them. As you familiarise yourself with the American system, think about what are the equivalents to your previous UK roles, so that you can explain it in a way an American administrator can get their head around.

Good luck.

morpeth Jan 15th 2018 6:00 am

Originally Posted by A_Cruz1 (Post 12418567)
Hi all
My family and I are looking to move (back) to California from London as my husband is from there. I can work with my Green Card, when I get it. I am an experienced Primary school teacher (7 years) and a Phase Leader for Key Stage 1 (UK years 1 & 2).
Do I need to re-certify if I want to work as a teacher in California? Is it the same in private schools or are they less strict? What does re-certification actually mean? Is it a long course?
Any advice anyone can give me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
AC

Each state is different, and private schools do not need generally the same certifications that government schools require. Generally the certification procedure offers various routes, sometimes granting a temporary certification until you meet the full certification requirement. One of best ways to approach the subject is to register as a substitute/supply teacher through a private company which can place you and help you in the certification process. This gets you familiar with the way the system works there.

Some teachers prefer working for a private school to avoid the politics and complications of working at a government school, but pay and benefits often less at a private school.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 15th 2018 4:55 pm

I have no idea what a Phase Leader for Key Stage I is and my ex was a School Inspector.

Maste Jan 15th 2018 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12419461)
I have no idea what a Phase Leader for Key Stage I is and my ex was a School Inspector.

A teacher who's in charge of that key stage, essentially. Basically a way for heads to make their lives easier, focus on other stuff and delegate roles to others instead of doing it themselves! That's what I am led to believe it is, anyhow.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 15th 2018 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 12419601)
A teacher who's in charge of that key stage, essentially. Basically a way for heads to make their lives easier, focus on other stuff and delegate roles to others instead of doing it themselves! That's what I am led to believe it is, anyhow.

Nothing new there, probably just a change in terminology. Long time ago when she was a Head.

bewildering Jan 16th 2018 1:46 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12418968)
You will need a California teaching licence -

This is true for public schools.

I believe that private schools are free to hire whomever they please. And there are many private schools in LA. There are also many other benefits to teaching at a private school.

I am not sure about charter schools.

carcajou Jan 16th 2018 2:27 am

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 12419728)

I believe that private schools are free to hire whomever they please. And there are many private schools in LA. There are also many other benefits to teaching at a private school.

I believe you are probably correct - however the regulations change state to state and it is something that OP will need to check carefully about.

Charter schools vary massively in quality and in workplace conditions and OP needs to be extremely careful in vetting them before accepting employment at one.

I strongly advise OP to go on and get the California licence, and not to avoid doing so just out of laziness or cheapness. For one, it would artificially limit employment options, and two, it would provide a CV advantage against non-qualified applicants.

As well, political winds can change, especially if the media and public start yammering about substandard quality in some charter schools.

Good luck.

morpeth Jan 16th 2018 6:33 am

Originally Posted by bewildering (Post 12419728)

Definitely benefits working for private schools, and also for government schools which have good benefits such as pensions. As has been posted getting the certifications not a bad idea, and I think registering with companies that provide supply/substitute teachers as soon as you get there the best start- they will know the ins and outs of getting alternative and temporary teaching license, gives you the opportunity to get experience teaching in America and make a bit of money at the same time.

Bob Jan 17th 2018 6:50 pm

I have no idea about CA, but locally where I am least, it's basically impossible for someone to get a first teaching job without either a masters, or currently going through a masters program, unless they've already done a fair bit of sub work in the school district and are a known quantity.

To be a sub, you basically just need to not have a criminal record and to know the right people who'll make sure you're high enough up the sub list that you'll actually be called in the event one is needed.

morpeth Jan 17th 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12421220)
I have no idea about CA, but locally where I am least, it's basically impossible for someone to get a first teaching job without either a masters, or currently going through a masters program, unless they've already done a fair bit of sub work in the school district and are a known quantity.

To be a sub, you basically just need to not have a criminal record and to know the right people who'll make sure you're high enough up the sub list that you'll actually be called in the event one is needed.

I think it depends a lot on the state, I lived in two states which always had a need for substitute teachers. In both states one could apply directly through the county but many signed up with agencies who placed them I don't know if for elementary school whether a Master's is always a prerequisite in California, I doubt it though. I think once one gets the alternative teaching license one can then look at courses online that can help- I do not know California system at all, but the two states of which I am somewhat familiar with government schools had set pay scales depending on what degree one had, i.e more salary for same work if one had a Master's.

Teachers in California if members of a union have very good benefits and pension, and typically a lot of job security.

carcajou Jan 18th 2018 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12421220)

I would say you are for the most part right; that is the normal route, though as Morpeth stated there are alternative routes in most places.

The pay for a sub, though, is awful, and someone will probably have to take a second evening job to go along with it if they are planning on going that route.

Ultimately, if OP is any good, he/she will find something, somewhere. That will be the ultimate determinant.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 18th 2018 1:25 am

I know somebody who subs, well did and the pay from memory was a dollar or two above minimum and no benefits.

She did it because she liked to do it.