Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things!

Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things!

Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

FLExpat13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things

Originally Posted by jjmb
When we first come over here, we were paid in a similar fashion as we were on assignment so still technically on the UK payroll. We had to file UK and US tax returns for first 2-3 yrs of our stay. Way too complicated for us, done completely by the company accountants.
Same here. He has company accountant and files tax returns. Thanks for your reply maybe folks will believe me now lol.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been in US almost 2 years; need to make a decision but kids want different things

Originally Posted by FLExpat13
Wow - so many tax questions!! Yes it is legal dont worry, ....
I don't give two hoots, but you either don't understand/haven't been informed as to what your husband's actual tax situation is, or if you do understand what is being done and have represented it accurately here on BE, and if he really is "being paid in the UK and paying UK taxes" then it is you who should be concerned.
Ok enough tax experts please! Tax is dealt with. We don’t have an issue and are perfectly legal..... ....
So perhaps you would care to correct or add to what you previously posted because what you said is nonsense and is NOT legal.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2017 at 5:54 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If they are on any closed-end visa, such as an L-1/L-2 or H-1/H-4 then people have reported success in arguing that they are still resident in the UK for the limited purposes of determining eligibility for domestic tuition rates at university for their children.

Residency for pretty much any other reason, most notably taxes, is a very different matter!
True...some of our members have posted that some UK unis accept that the student is only a temporary resident overseas because of their parent's job. I think the decision is down to the university concerned.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't give two hoots, but you either don't understand/haven't been informed as to what your husband's actual tax situation is, or if you do understand what is being done and have represented it accurately here on BE, and he really is "being paid in the UK and paying UK taxes" then it is you who should be concerned.

So perhaps you would care to correct or add to what you previously posted because what you said is nonsense and is NOT legal.
okay.. I wasn't trying to mislead. We pay both taxes - thanks for your concern.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
True...some of our members have posted that some UK unis accept that the student is only a temporary resident overseas because of their parent's job. I think the decision is down to the university concerned.
Thanks. As I say kids are young right now at 10,11 and 14 so we have time to concern ourselves with UK uni if that's what we decide.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No it is not legal if you are not filing and paying US taxes...and the last thing you want to do is get on the wrong side of the IRS. Hopefully you have...and just omitted to tell us.
No where at no point did i say we were not paying US taxes. All dealt with by his company, as I stated. Thanks.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No where at no point did i say we were not paying US taxes. All dealt with by his company, as I stated. Thanks.
True...but you said you were UK residents and paid taxes in the UK...you made no mention of US taxes. So perhaps you can see where the misunderstanding arose.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

I came on here looking for advice from people who had perhaps been through a similar dilemma to my situation and could help us maybe make a tough decision easier. I wasn't expecting to be harassed about taxes (nothing to do with my post!) and made to feel more emotional than I did when I posted, wow .... thanks anyway
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I came on here looking for advice from people who had perhaps been through a similar dilemma to my situation and could help us maybe make a tough decision easier. I wasn't expecting to be harassed about taxes (nothing to do with my post!) and made to feel more emotional than I did when I posted, wow .... thanks anyway
We were only trying to help...anyways...you've cleared up that misunderstanding now.

Moving on...
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Threads on BE can be fast moving and rarely stay on topic for more than a page or two. I'm afraid you won't have much success if you want it to stay focussed as a support thread - best to roll with the side discussions as the more you fight it, the more it sucks you in, just like quicksand.

Taxes are a hot-topic here, and long-standing posters are mindful that others read the threads and take on board what is said. There is also a requirement that no-one advocates anything that is illegal, particularly when it comes to immigration law. So corrections/clarifications are not just for your benefit but for lurkers and anyone else that may ever come across this thread.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks yellowroom, shame a lot of people on the forum aren’t actually there to help people but to get a “rise” out of them or look for issues that aren’t there.... I’m out
Old Sep 25th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Now your OP has popped up - if you've been reading for a couple of years then surely you understand already how discussions go here? Don't do a flounce, stick around and join the fun.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 8:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks yellowroom, shame a lot of people on the forum aren’t actually there to help people but to get a “rise” out of them or look for issues that aren’t there.... I’m out
I'm sorry but that is not correct. We were trying to help you and as I said once you had cleared up the misunderstanding we could move on.

Don't go...stick around...we are a nice lot really and we do really try to help...whether it's with info or for a shoulder to cry on.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:42 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if OP/husband have included their UK rental on their US tax return.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Wonder if OP/husband have included their UK rental on their US tax return.
and UK returns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.