Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 28th 2009, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Getting things into proportion isn't the British mile roughly equivalent to about 25 American miles or something like that? ...
Can't let this one go un-corrected

US mile and British mile are the same. The difference you are thinking about is the US gallon vs. the UK gallon - US gallon=16 pints, UK gallon=20 pints. Thus, the US gallon is smaller, and therefore you can't make direct comparisons of the price of a gallon in each country, or of 'mpg ratings'.
=================

Regarding the OP's post - I think the thread has value as a warning to would-be immigrants here that this place is quite different from the UK, in terms of labor laws and social security systems. While I'm a strong advocate of Universal Health coverage in the US, I'm OK with the lack of unemployment benefits, and quite favor the ease with which people can be fired. While there are abuses of the US system, the ease with which you can be fired also leads to an ease with which you can be hired. If the economy shows even a small sign of life, US companies will hire quickly because they KNOW they can fire again if the economy goes back down; in the UK, you need to be almost positive the requirement will remain long-term since it's practically impossible to get rid of people. The easy-to-get and virtually unlimited duration of unemployment benefits in the UK has led to an entire culture of people living 'on the dole'.

That said, I'm sorry the gig didn't work out for you here and wish you the best back in UK.
Old May 28th 2009, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A consequence of not being limited to a paltry number of sick days per year as is often the case in the US. I would happily put up with said "interview" in exchange for not being limited to seven sick days per year.
lol - to each their own. I personally feel its an invasion of my privacy having to answer questions as to why I was sick. Perhaps privacy means nothing to you.....
Old May 28th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can't let this one go un-corrected

US mile and British mile are the same.
I think the poster was referring to "British miles" in the same vein as one refers to "dog years". Like, a 100 miles is faaaaaar away in Europe, and a 100 years is looooooong ago in America.
Old May 28th 2009, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
lol - to each their own. I personally feel its an invasion of my privacy having to answer questions as to why I was sick. Perhaps privacy means nothing to you.....
I can understand that policy if it's someone who takes a lot of sick days, and appears to be abusing them. For an isolated day it seems severe.
Old May 28th 2009, 2:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake

...and it doesn't quite read how the OP tried to make it sound either
Old May 28th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

At least he's moving back to the UK, that's a plus.
Better than hanging around and whinging about how everything is better in the UK. Well he's doing that anyway, but hey one less.
You can fly to the from SFO to the UK by BA for about $340.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I can understand that policy if it's someone who takes a lot of sick days, and appears to be abusing them. For an isolated day it seems severe.
I assumed it was a policy to discourage taking off sick....
Old May 28th 2009, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I assumed it was a policy to discourage taking off sick....
As a self employed person I can take as many sick days as I like, I'm just not making any money.

Interesting question. Do the self employed in the UK get paid sick days?

Last edited by surly; May 28th 2009 at 3:29 am.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by surly
As a self employed person I can take as many sick days as I like, I'm just not making any money.
I can take as many sick days as I want as well, and neither am I making money.... But at least I don't have some ninny of a supervisor asking me why I was out sick.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I can take as many sick days as I want as well, and neither am I making money.... But at least I don't have some ninny of a supervisor asking me why I was out sick.
I haven't worked in the UK for over twenty years. Must have changed a lot, sounds like a workers paradise.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:41 am
Banned

bfittler is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Bad times in Texas

I haven't worked in the UK for over twenty years. Must have changed a lot, sounds like a workers paradise.
UK is still a paradise because tax payers pay for others' luxuries there. The Luxury NHS treatment in UK is enjoyed by overseas students, their all dependants,Italians,Greek,Spanish, Tier One, Tier Two, EU etc. and all is paid by people who are working and paying taxes.

Have anybody looked into the retirement system of UK.UK is a heaven on Earth as some have to work while others enjoy the maximum out of the life.

Last edited by bfittler; May 28th 2009 at 4:46 am.
Old May 28th 2009, 5:18 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

At least he's moving back to the UK, that's a plus.
Better than hanging around and whinging about how everything is better in the UK. Well he's doing that anyway, but hey one less.
You can fly to the from SFO to the UK by BA for about $340.

Sounds like the best $340 one can spend if it's got people like you there.

More than likely you have everything crossed that your business doesn't fold and you can no longer afford the USA healthcare resulting in you and your family crawling back to the UK as more than likely you have not renounced your UK citizenship...
Old May 28th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by srah
Sounds like the best $340 one can spend if it's got people like you there.

More than likely you have everything crossed that your business doesn't fold and you can no longer afford the USA healthcare resulting in you and your family crawling back to the UK as more than likely you have not renounced your UK citizenship...

Nope I have enough put by to last me quite a long time.
Old May 28th 2009, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Then offer not to be paid when you are sick. Seems perfectly reasonable that if they are paying you when you claim to be sick, that you actually are.

At least in England you don't get the disgraceful situations where people end up having to "donate" sick days to some poor sod who's having chemo etc. Having to answer questions about one's sickness pales into insignifance compared to that disgrace.
Old May 28th 2009, 5:35 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Nope I have enough put by to last me quite a long time.
Wish I had a $ for the number of times I've heard that.....the US medical system will eat you alive and non of us are getting any younger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.